How do you tell a friend that he's losing his hair?

Zeal

Reaction score
A buddy of mine, aged 22, has some pretty mean diffuse going on. I'm not sure if he really notices it or not; I can't see how he wouldn't but sometimes things like that creep up on a person.

Being in the hair loss battle himself, I could give him some good advice and cut through a lot of the bullshit out there. My question is: How do I break this to him? Prior to coming to this site, would you all have wanted to know about your hair-loss or continue living in ignorance until finding out yourself?

I'm no expert, but it seems that he would be a prime candidate for Finasteride.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just show your friend some respect and let him figure it out for himself?

If he has some "pretty mean diffuse going on" then maybe, just maybe he has noticed it and has enough going for him to do something about it if he wants to. After all, it is not exactly rocket science doing a bit of research on the net for credible hair loss medications. He may even be taking finasteride but like most blokes out there, does not want to start talking about it with their mates.

I personally would be really pissed off if a buddy of mine started giving me advice about what to do with my hair. REALLY PISSED OFF.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Next time you're having a good-natured BS exchange, insert the word "bald" to modify your choice of profane nouns:

Examples:

BEFORE
Your friend: Eat sh*t and die, a**h**!
You: f*** off, bastard!

AFTER:
Your friend: Eat my ***!
You: Suck it, you bald douchebag!

Zeal

Reaction score
Red Rose said:
Why don't you just show your friend some respect and let him figure it out for himself?

If he has some "pretty mean diffuse going on" then maybe, just maybe he has noticed it and has enough going for him to do something about it if he wants to. After all, it is not exactly rocket science doing a bit of research on the net for credible hair loss medications. He may even be taking finasteride but like most blokes out there, does not want to start talking about it with their mates.

I personally would be really pissed off if a buddy of mine started giving me advice about what to do with my hair. REALLY PISSED OFF.

This is why I came here. I do want to show him respect, that's why I haven't said anything yet and I may not. I didn't want to just be like "yo, you're losing your hair." Meddling in other people's business isn't a hobby of mine. But at the same time, catching hair loss early and beginning treatment is more likely to be successful than catching it later. You may be "REALLY PISSED OFF", but that may not necessarily be the reaction of everyone else.

As far as the idea that he's already doing something about it, it's possible but I highly doubt it.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
tell him straight,tell him there are treatments that work ,tell him to get on propecia(i dont think you are though?)

he might feel embarassed at first but when he saves his hair he'll thank you for it :hairy:

inkt

Reaction score
Zeal said:
This is why I came here. I do want to show him respect, that's why I haven't said anything yet and I may not. I didn't want to just be like "yo, you're losing your hair." Meddling in other people's business isn't a hobby of mine. But at the same time, catching hair loss early and beginning treatment is more likely to be successful than catching it later. You may be "REALLY PISSED OFF", but that may not necessarily be the reaction of everyone else.

As far as the idea that he's already doing something about it, it's possible but I highly doubt it.
so you're suffering youself?

if that's the case, i'd just bring it up about yourself. if it was just the two of you somewhere and you managed to bring up the topic of your own hair probblems it could turn to a situation where he goes "yeah, i've noticed my hair thinning out as well" or something like that. that way it would be bought up on common ground.

G

Red Rose said:

Red Rose, I agree that it may not be best in some instances to tell him, but you're naive if you think that it's easy to find credible hair loss medications. there is so much sh*t out there. a lot of balding guys care that they are balding yet less than 1% are on Propecia right now. That would seem to indicate that it's very tough to cut the bullshit out. I consider myself very lucky to have found a board like this.

Felk

Reaction score
I agree JayMan.

I'm curious about that 1% figure - is that a statistic or your estimation? Where did you read it?

G

Felk said:
I agree JayMan.

I'm curious about that 1% figure - is that a statistic or your estimation? Where did you read it?

well felk, I think 1 mil people worldwide have tried it. there's 3 billion men in the world about? 2.5 bil? whatever, it doesn't matter. assume that 30% are actively balding. we're talking 800 million. only 1 million have tried it, and of that 1 mil that have tried it, i've heard only 500k are currently on it at the moment. the us has 60 million balding men so if we say 400k of them arein the us, which i think is generous, it works out to less than 1%. i think it may even be less than half a percent.

some more may be using minoxidil, but that's useless without stuff like finasteride or dutasteride(and almost no one is using dutasteride for hair loss when you consider the populations as a whole).

i personally know people who have tried those bullshit remedies advertised on tv that we all know do nothing, like avac** and proce**. they insist that they're taking care of the problem by doing these things.

G

inkt said:
so you're suffering youself?

if that's the case, i'd just bring it up about yourself. if it was just the two of you somewhere and you managed to bring up the topic of your own hair probblems it could turn to a situation where he goes "yeah, i've noticed my hair thinning out as well" or something like that. that way it would be bought up on common ground.

this is the best idea in the thread.

inkt

Reaction score
i'm glad i could help...

it is such a hard thing to bring up isn't it? i know that i'd feel really really bad if someone just sort of called me up on it out of the blue - "hey you're looking pretty thin up there". even if they weren't trying to be callous or anything i can just imagine how that would feel... this way you can get through it together i guess.

Sean68

Reaction score
i wouldnt tell him. its not a matter of social etiquette like having bad breath. maybe he doesnt mind cos if its as bad as you say he mustve noticed if he looks in the mirror at all. maybe try and steer the conversation towards it...

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ll bet he already knows, but he’s ashamed to tell anyone. And he might think that no one has noticed yet.

It’s a normal reaction to hide your hairloss, even from your closest friends and family.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Is RK19 still a banned word?

Ahh RK19, yes it's all flooding back to me (the memmories, the memmories), I remember RK19 geting a great old bashing, anyway in the end, everybody came to the consencess: that it is pure SH*T

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well i dont know about you all but the first thing i did when i suspected im starting to lose it was tell all my good freinds and my family-i just needed the sympathy...
anyways i think its very importent to start early and i think in these times almost every man cares about hes looks im sure that telling youre friend would be the right thing to do its not easy and its no fun but hell thank you for it in the future...

[/quote]
Red Rose, I agree that it may not be best in some instances to tell him, but you're naive if you think that it's easy to find credible hair loss medications. there is so much $#iT out there. a lot of balding guys care that they are balding yet less than 1% are on Propecia right now. That would seem to indicate that it's very tough to cut the bullshit out. I consider myself very lucky to have found a board like this.[/quote]

jayman ,this 1% might be true but its not very relevent -im sure that if you look on american men between 18-26 from middle class and above you well find a much much bigger number -maybe even 40% and thats really the number you should be refering too

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, believe me, if he hasn't noticed it already, he will soon. Maybe try to bring up the subject casually, perhaps about someone else, and if he mentions that he has thinning hair, offer some suggestions and advice.

News2

Established Member
Reaction score
Just ask yourself this: Do YOU want every Tom, Dick & Harry to comment on your hair loss? If not, why do you even entertain the idea of mentioning it to your friend?

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
News2 said:
Just ask yourself this: Do YOU want every Tom, Dick & Harry to comment on your hair loss? If not, why do you even entertain the idea of mentioning it to your friend?

Exactly. End of thread.