How do you people do it? :(

aen

Reaction score
Hello people, two year lurker, first time poster here.

So I finally decided to bite the bullet and take some finasteride to deal with my slow recession when I ended up getting an anxiety attack and noticing it was still progressing when I hoped it had stopped. I've been taking 0.5mg M/W/F of finpecia from inhousepharmacy for almost two weeks now just to gauge how I feel about taking it and if all goes well I'll move on to every day within the next few weeks.

Now I am a HUGE hypochondriac and this was the main reason I was against taking finasteride. I convinced myself I had ED two years ago when I was on zero medication and it manifested itself for two months thinking I had imaginary illnesses until a very kind GP managed to talk me out of taking v****. It turned out there was no problem to begin with. I already had many anxiety issues so I knew if I took finasteride I'd need to take how I feel with a pinch of salt and accept the majority of side effects were in my head.

The first second I took my first half finasteride tablet I was instantly in jitters, I had read WAY too much into the side effects and I was in a panic over what would happen to my body. Because I was so shakey and worried my penis felt numb and I struggled being able to think straight, but of course attributing it to finasteride was ridiculous and this subsided within the next day.

But my question is: how the hell do you guys convince yourselves that finasteride isn't going to screw something up when all the internet does is scream different ideas in your face? I have to test that my penis can maintain an erection all the time, check my ejaculate, and I almost definitely KNOW that constantly doing so is lowering the quality of my erection and it's almost definitely not finasteride's fault. How the hell do you remain calm?

Whenever I come on the internet to get reassurance that it's all in my head I hear everything from:

"finasteride made my hair grow back to a NW1, expanded my penis and made women fall from the sky. Every sandwich tastes great and I no longer need to piss. I am now immortal and can manipulate manner with my tentacle shaped hair."

to

"The very instant I took finasteride my penis exploded. An eerie fog crept up into my room and sucked into my brain and never left. I told the doctor about my exploding penis but he could find nothing wrong, he said my hormone levels were normal. I now have hairy G-cup breasts and feel no connection between my body and my dismembered penis. A few days later (because I was no longer taking finasteride) my body crashed into a brick wall and I became a giant boob hairless impotent blob of Ben."

I'm not trying to offend anyone's personal experiences here, but I feel so torn up taking this drug and I don't know how to calm myself down about the potential side effects because no matter what I read that is positive there is always a negative around the corner and both sides sound somewhat convincing. It's like all the panic I had about hairloss is now being focused on this effing drug and I can't win. How do you stop these feelings? I feel okay at the moment other than the quality in erections being variable, but I think this is more because I am looking into it. I don't get morning wood but to be honest I don't think I've had consistent morning wood for almost three years.

Sorry for this verbal splodge, I'll go now.

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi aen,

First, your description of people's experiences with finasteride was hilarious. I know the feeling though, it seems like there is a very broad spectrum of reactions to the drug.

I started finasteride almost 2 months ago, and like you I was very worried about the sides (to the point that I thought I might imagine nonexistent symptoms). After a few weeks of internal debate, I decided that saving my hair was worth taking a small risk. I would start finasteride at 1 mg/day and monitor any sides very closely. If they got to be too much, I would stop taking it. To mitigate the risk of negative sexual side effects, I changed my diet to include more foods that positively impact libido and I also started working out regularly.

I'm happy to say that I've experience zero negative side effects since I've started. In fact, I've had sustained positive side effects such as a higher libido. While I do believe the positive side effects are due to the finasteride, I am not positive - it could be all the things I did to mitigate the risk of ED and lower libido. So far I'm happy with my decision and I hope that it helps prevent further loss.

Good luck!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Hi aen,

First, your description of people's experiences with finasteride was hilarious. I know the feeling though, it seems like there is a very broad spectrum of reactions to the drug.

I started finasteride almost 2 months ago, and like you I was very worried about the sides (to the point that I thought I might imagine nonexistent symptoms). After a few weeks of internal debate, I decided that saving my hair was worth taking a small risk. I would start finasteride at 1 mg/day and monitor any sides very closely. If they got to be too much, I would stop taking it. To mitigate the risk of negative sexual side effects, I changed my diet to include more foods that positively impact libido and I also started working out regularly.

I'm happy to say that I've experience zero negative side effects since I've started. In fact, I've had sustained positive side effects such as a higher libido. While I do believe the positive side effects are due to the finasteride, I am not positive - it could be all the things I did to mitigate the risk of ED and lower libido. So far I'm happy with my decision and I hope that it helps prevent further loss.

Good luck!

what foods did you eat for libido?

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what foods did you eat for libido?

Oatmeal with berries for breakfast, fish (mostly salmon and tuna), green vegetables, almonds & other nuts, and eggs. I cut back on fatty processed foods and dairy.

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm I see it like a paracetamol as in thats how much it effects me, I take one and get on with the rest of my day and my headache goes away. when i take finasteride it's the same but my hair grows back and it's just that simple.

you focus to much on the negatives thats your problem and imagine things, this pill out weighs the negatives massively with positives so try thinking about that. you will keep your dick and most likely have more hair.

we all can do this though so
I'll tell you a story which happend to me, it's similar to your 1st finasteride panic but stupider. I imagined this just like you imagined that.
I had been lifting a few heavy things about and the next day i had this huge lump in my groin which did not bother me or hurt really, anyway i showed someone and they told me it was a hernia. when i got home i researched it and convinced myself, got into a huge panic cos i was grossed out so much by it, next thing I know I passed out on my floor lol. next day i went to docs i had a groin infection and gave me some tabs and it was gone in a few days.
so it shows you what reading things and people telling you things can actually do to you mentally i made myself pass out just thinking bad things.