how do you know when you are ready for a surgeon?

misterium

Reaction score
hi,

i am a diffuse thinner, noticed it around age 26 and i'm now 29.

i've been doing the big 3 for over 2 years, and i'm not sure if i'm getting anywhere with it..

i'm going to continue with these treatments, but i'm just skeptical and concerned that i'm not responding very well..

i don't have any 'slick baldspots' but the thinning is definately noticable, mostly up top/crown.. my hairline still looks pretty good.. but i keep my hair shaved about 1/8th of an inch, it looks okay.. i'm afraid to grow it back out for fear of the thinning looking ugly.

my question is, how can i be sure if i'm okay to go ahead and consult a surgeon? that is, i have a feeling they would turn me away because i still have DECENT coverage overall.. BUT i feel like nothing is going to improve.

when is it okay to see somebody about getting some hair back?

thanks,
-mike

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you have been on meds that long then you should be stable but likely as much gain as you are going to get without changing meds/routine maybe.

A consultation for hair transplant does not cost much. If you think your hair is stable then its worth looking into. You don't have to make a commitment they will just advise that it is possible for you, agree expectations and how many grafts etc then they will quote.

I did the same 6 months ago now to make sure it was possible for me and how many grafts I would need and get a quote. They usually only refuse if your donor area is not acceptable and I think that is very rare unless your a NW7 already and want a full head of hair ie unrealistic. THE hair transplant place was very helpful and understand that some guys can take weeks or months to decide if they would want to go ahead.

HM may come along in the next year or 2-3 we are all hoping as this would be better to wait for than taking hair transplant so depends if you can or want to wait for something that is coming but no guarantee when.

NedFlanders

Established Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with Nick4441. I have been on Finpecia for what will soon to be 6 months. I am going to wait at least a year, and make sure my hair loss stops by using Finpecia. To me it would seem you would need Finpecia to work before even considering a hair transplant. Hopefully and I pray that my Finpecia continues to work for me, and HM does become a reality in the next few years.