How Do You Guys Style Your Hair After Applying Liquid Minoxidil?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been on minoxidil. for approximately 8-9 months now. I started off with short hair, which made the minoxidil dry extremely quick, but lately I've been growing my hair out long and I find it harder to style & dry.

Since my hair is wavy/curly the thinning parts look terrible after applying minoxidil (looks less noticable without minoxidil.), so I usually wait for 1 hour with my cap on, and comb it sideways after.

Now, I'm wondering if there are better ways to dry and style your hair. Do you guys use any wax, etc, and how do you style it after applying minoxidil? Do you let it dry out for an hour with a cap on like I do or is there another way?

Cheers

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I apply it when I get home from work. Let it absorb for 3-4 hours and wash it off before I go to sleep.

Ain't no stylin' with that stuff on. No sir. When I was buzzcut you could apply it and go out, but with normal hair length it's just an awful mess.

Even if you're buzz cut there is still the nasty alcohol smell. Which could be a problem if anyone's getting very close to you.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I apply it when I get home from work. Let it absorb for 3-4 hours and wash it off before I go to sleep.

Ain't no stylin' with that stuff on. No sir. When I was buzzcut you could apply it and go out, but with normal hair length it's just an awful mess.

Even if you're buzz cut there is still the nasty alcohol smell. Which could be a problem if anyone's getting very close to you.

I've already been using it everyday for 8 months straight except when I tried once for 2 weeks. Lost a lot of gains lol. There has to be a way

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could always just use once at night as well and skip morning application. Plenty of people had really good success with just applying at night and dermarolling.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've already been using it everyday for 8 months straight except when I tried once for 2 weeks. Lost a lot of gains lol. There has to be a way

I've been using it for 2.5 YEARS. And at first I did twice a day, in the past year since I've been employed I've only been doing once a day, and lately not even every day because it's just a pain in the ***. It does not seem to hurt much if you miss it here or there. Maybe try foam in the morning?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
where are you losing hair? im losing it mostly on the crown so i just avoid using gel/wax on that area. You could always just use once at night as well and skip morning application.

Temples. Diffuse thinning. As mentioned to whatvr, I tried applying it from twice to once and it did me no good whatsoever. Started thinning out again after 2 weeks.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using it for 2.5 YEARS. And at first I did twice a day, in the past year since I've been employed I've only been doing once a day, and lately not even every day because it's just a pain in the ***. It does not seem to hurt much if you miss it here or there. Maybe try foam in the morning?

Maybe I should. Although I ordered it last time but after reading a few horror stories about it messing up some peoples hair I decided not to use it. Lost $100 down the drain lol. I have solid progress right now, I don't really want to change the regimen tbh

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you dermarolling?

Yes, but I've been lazy with it lately after it made me pluck out a few hair at the temples. My country has also made it more expensive to order online, therefore I haven't really ''updated'' my dermarollers with new ones.

I used to dermaroll twice a week before, but lately I do it once every 2-3 weeks.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, but I've been lazy with it lately after it made me pluck out a few hair at the temples. My country has also made it more expensive to order online, therefore I haven't really ''updated'' my dermarollers with new ones.

I used to dermaroll twice a week before, but lately I do it once every 2-3 weeks.

Lightly dermarolling every time you apply minoxidil to increase absorption is the best option imo, rather than trying to wound. That could also get rid of the need to use twice a day. Shame it has become more expensive, i just got ZGTS ones from ebay.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lightly dermarolling every time you apply minoxidil to increase absorption is the best option imo, rather than trying to wound. That could also get rid of the need to use twice a day. Shame it has become more expensive, i just got ZGTS ones from ebay.

I got the cheapest ones from ebay. Cost me like $10 for both. 1.5 mm and 0.5 mm.

The 1.5 mm has been used for a while now, maybe 10-15 times in total within a 6-7 month period.
I've read that you should update your dermaroller frequently (every 3 months or so).

I don't wound, I just stop after it gets red

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Temples. Diffuse thinning. As mentioned to whatvr, I tried applying it from twice to once and it did me no good whatsoever. Started thinning out again after 2 weeks.

when you went to once a day, did you double the amount?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
@yetti I also tried doing the following: apply minoxidil at 5 pm, and then once again around 23 pm. Didn't work out good either

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I apply minoxidil in the evening after showering... I style my hair in the morning before heading to work.

Applying minoxidil happens 4-5 hours before heading to bed (no science behind it, just that I shower right when I get home from work if I don't need to leave for somewhere in the evening). Sleep for 6ish hours, wake up and style. That's 10+ hours between minoxidil and styling. I use foam though... it doesn't make the hair soggy but more dry like you use hair wax. I tend to rub a towel after applying minoxidil if I apply too much, not sure if that works with liquid though without removing too much.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I apply minoxidil in the evening after showering... I style my hair in the morning before heading to work.

Applying minoxidil happens 4-5 hours before heading to bed (no science behind it, just that I shower right when I get home from work if I don't need to leave for somewhere in the evening). Sleep for 6ish hours, wake up and style. That's 10+ hours between minoxidil and styling. I use foam though... it doesn't make the hair soggy but more dry like you use hair wax. I tend to rub a towel after applying minoxidil if I apply too much, not sure if that works with liquid though without removing too much.

If I use minoxidil. or not in the morning, I still have to wash my hair since it tends to get oily extremely easily. I've managed to make it look somewhat decent but it requires for me to wake up 1.5hours earlier just to do it.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I use minoxidil. or not in the morning, I still have to wash my hair since it tends to get oily extremely easily. I've managed to make it look somewhat decent but it requires for me to wake up 1.5hours earlier just to do it.

I forgot to ask, you use minoxidil twice a day?