How do you deal with your superiors/manager who annoy you??

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Today my superior drew our work schedule for the next 3 weeks. I have 16 units of work to do while he put himself down for only 9 units of work :shakehead:, ie I have 80% more work to do than him.

I told him politely that there is something wrong with the timetable. He looked at it and said there is nothing he can do about it, he tried to justify his decision with some BS.

We are on an equal pay scale and we have the same job descriptions, so he doesn't get to do less. He's sort of an HoD, or my immediate superior. The thing is, his superiority is mainly a title and doesn't really mean much, he signs all the documents and that's about it... (my CV is way better than his)

I know the right thing to do would be to have a civilised conversation, which I already tried. I'm gonna try again tomorrow morning, and if he gives me the same answer, then I'm gonna tell him off in a different way and file a complaint with the management.

On a side note, I've been meaning to job hunt for some time, this might be the wake up call that I needed... It's time to get out of the comfort zone and look for a better job...

HughJass

Reaction score
Yeah, the hierarchy. The modern workplace is a tyranny like no other.

This guy (and your work in general) is exploiting you, so f*** him. By passing his workload onto you he's effectively skimming your wages. It's time to start slacking off. When he tries to ride you for it just remember who is getting the raw deal here. Make sure he understands that.

There's no need to rush to fulfill your quota because you won't be fulfilling it. Why should you? You are the one getting the bum deal. Work at a relaxed pace and no faster. If all the work doesn't get done then that isn't your problem- a man can only go so fast.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
This guy (and your work in general) is exploiting you, so f*ck him.

I have an evil idea, it might sound a bit childish even stupid but I'm thinking of taking a sick leave for 3-4 days.. That way, he'll have to do some of my work and we'll be even.

If he wants to mess with me, I can play dirty as well and he can't even touch me :punk:

I'll take a few days off, chilling at home and reading a book :woot:

Cassin

Reaction score
virtuality said:
On a side note, I've been meaning to job hunt for some time, this might be the wake up call that I needed... It's time to get out of the comfort zone and look for a better job...

That is what it honestly all comes down to and the best way to deal with it. Decide what kind of work will make you happy and do everything you can to make it happen.

As for your current manager....make a copy of this time table and bring it to your true superiors.

Keep your temper calm.
Explain your side.
Make sure you tell them you feel like he is abusing the system.
Keep everything as factual as possible as you don't want to give anyone the ability to claim you're lying about anything.

HughJass

Reaction score
virtuality said:
aussieavodart said:
This guy (and your work in general) is exploiting you, so f*ck him.

I have an evil idea, it might sound a bit childish even stupid but I'm thinking of taking a sick leave for 3-4 days.. That way, he'll have to do some of my work and we'll be even.

If he wants to mess with me, I can play dirty as well and he can't even touch me :punk:

I'll take a few days off, chilling at home and reading a book :woot:

Calling in sick is a good strategy. It's also your duty as a good citizen:

Phoning in sick is one of the purest expressions of free-market principles.

“Supply and demand†is a free-market cliché commonly spouted (but often misunderstood) by corporate leaders. “Demand†is defined in free-market theory as a demand made by a free, rational individual who is acting out of self-interest. But many “demands†– eg the demand for “status symbol†consumer goods – owe more to saturation advertising and social conformity than to rational, individual self-interest.

And what about the “demand†for jobs in the labour market? When someone is forced by financial necessity to take a low-paid menial job, are they making a free, rational, self-interested demand? Are they saying: “As a free, rational individual, I hereby express my demand to work in a sh*t job for appalling wagesâ€. Obviously they are not.

In fact, most of our economic activities don’t appear to fit the free-market definition of rational, free, individual, self-interested demands. But there is one demand in our work-obsessed society that undoubtedly does appear rational, individual and self-interested – the demand for more leisure.

In order for “supply and demand†to function properly, demands must be expressed and registered in the marketplace. Unfortunately, employees are usually too afraid to express their demand for more leisure. And if they do express this demand, it tends to go unregistered (eg the boss simply ignores it). Therefore, people express and register their demand for leisure in the only way open to them: they phone in sick.

Phoning in sick is the responsible way to participate in an economy which is unable to register demand for leisure in any other way. To describe it as “fraud†is stretching legal definitions to absurdity, for the following reasons:

i) A high proportion of employees suffer from work-related anxiety or depression – to a degree and frequency that would be regarded as symptomatic of clinical psychological disorder, even though it might not be acknowledged as “genuine sickness†by the employer (see Government Report A, right).

ii) Studies have shown that working long hours without sufficient breaks has a seriously detrimental effect on health – often before a person notices any outward symptoms of illness (see Government Report B, right).

If you won’t phone in sick because you suffer from a guilty conscience about “dishonestyâ€, we suggest the following: Imagine, vividly, how you feel at work on a typical Monday morning. That should make you feel queasy. By dictionary definition, “queasy†means ill. Therefore it’s your duty to phone in sick. If you don’t feel queasy at the thought of Monday morning, then by definition you are mentally ill – you might want to consider spending a few years in a nursing home.

Or, to put it another way: prevention is better than cure, so phone in sick before you get ill.

http://www.anxietyculture.com/sick.htm

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
cassin said:
As for your current manager....make a copy of this time table and bring it to your true superiors.

Yeah, I will keep a copy for future reference and next time I'll make sure we get even.

I unofficially told the big boss about it as well, and he said we should sort it out ourselves. He didn't want to get involved.

aussieavodart said:
Calling in sick is a good strategy. It's also your duty as a good citizen:

I'm still undecided about this one.

I tried to find a few days in the timetable that will only harm this guy, but I can't find any consecutive days.

My brother works for a big company and he says most days they operate at 90-95% capacity because ppl call in sick or are on a sick leave.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Apparently the big boss told my manager that I've been complaining about him, and he wanted to have a chat with me..

The chat didn't go very well, we had a proper go at each other. He was annoyed that I complained about him, I told him off asking him what he expected? He must have thought that I was a pushover and he could mess me about. After having a go at him, I slammed the door and left his office :punk:

He must have realised that he overstepped the mark and next morning he told me that he admits there has been a bit of an injustice in the timetable, etc. I basically told him that we are a team and if don't share the work load equally the team will not go far, etc...

One of my colleagues thinks that this guy must have been warned about his behaviour by someone else, and that's why he's suddenly nice to me...

oni

Reaction score
virtuality........do you ever feel like you are taking money under false pretenses..............

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
oni said:
virtuality........do you ever feel like you are taking money under false pretenses..............

Yes and No....

In another job, during an informal chat, I once told my superior that we weren't very efficient. His answer was that as long as we do what we are required to do, ie whatever is in our job description, then it's a case of job well done.... He had a point, what else are we supposed to do?

TBH, most of the jobs are routine and mundane and not many people truly deserve their salaries, but that's how the world works and it's called ECONOMY.

As for my job, I had an extremely easy summer, we had absolutely nothing to do but the last couple months, I've been doing some stuff and I'm very much satisfied with my own contribution. I do a good job. I do everything that my position requires and I get paid accordingly.

Seeing what some people get paid for mundane jobs, I feel like I'm underpaid.

If I ever become a manager, or an employer, I'd make sure my company runs like a Swiss clock.