How do you cut a stock piece, and how well do they really fit?

Cruise21

My Regimen
Reaction score
As everyone knows, stock pieces are the main thing available right now... mostly thin skin but I've seen some lace out there.

For those of you with stock piece experience- How hard is it to cut the piece to the right size? And most important of all... Do they REALLY fit right without having ripples and stuff around the edges when you try to tape or glue them down? It would really bother me if it didn't fit well and match the curve of my head like a custom piece.

Noah

Reaction score
It depends on the shape of your head (duh!). They manufacture to a standard curvature, which is fairly flat, so if you have a small or pointy head you may have issues with fit. With a lace base it is possible to adjust the curvature by cutting darts in the piece and joining them with tape, without harming the look of the piece. Have a look at this video, starting about minute 2.35:

I have never tried that with skin, and I would be concerned that once you make a cut in the base there would be no way of stopping it from getting longer. Maybe a drop of nail varnish would work in that case.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Buying a premade system in the size closest to your bald area will get you a better fit.

I have seen them in 9x7, 9x6, not just 10x8. They will have a better curve, and less to cut, if that is what you need.