How do 13 year olds get cigarettes?

CCS

Reaction score
We don't seem able to stop smoking with taxes. And some would argue that group punishment is not fair, when usually only a fraction of smokers smoke near doors. How do 13 year olds get the cigarettes? Is there anything we can do to make it easier for their parents to stop them?

I bring this up because now that it is raining, many smokers in my complex are smoking near doors, to stay out of the rain. Then I have to be th unpopular one who goes over there and asks them to smoke at least 50 feet away from the door since they are smoking out the whole building. There is some kind of law that says you can call a 1-800 number and have a police officer come down there and cite them, but that sounds like a huge waste of police resources when they probably will be done smoking before the officer even arrives. And cameras just don't have the resolution needed. And if I did take a picture, it would make a lot of people not like me. So the whole 50 foot law is just unenforceable. What can I do to escape the smoke?

ali777

Reaction score
When I was 13 it was extremely easy to buy cigarettes. I could just go to the shop and buy the same brand my dad used to smoke and no one said anything.

It's different times now. I'd like to think most of the shops would refuse to sell tobacco to minors.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
We used to use disguises when I was a kid. Our friends dad had a costume shop and we'd put lifts in our shoes and fake facial hair on and just walk right in and buy a carton. Some would get wise though because your voice was hard to keep disguised if you happened to get a chatty cashier.

And yea there's always an older person around to buy them for you.

CCS are they like standing by the door with the door open? Or something.. Cause I can't see how you could smell it otherwise.

CCS

Reaction score
Yeah, it was open and they were right by it. Because it was raining outside and they did not want to leave the cover of the building. I don't think they even need to be 50 feet away. That is just to account for the possibility of wind drift. Had they closed the door and been 10 feet away it would have been fine. It does not happen often, but when it does, it is a real mood killer. I don't care if someone smokes, as long as I don't have to smell it and their kids don't have to smell it either. People need to refuse sales to pregnant women too, though I don't think that would go over very well.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I say let people smoke themselves stupid, its their funeral, and it raises alot of money for taxes. :youbet:

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I say let people smoke themselves stupid, its their funeral, and it raises alot of money for taxes. :youbet:

Hey you know S.A.f some studies have shown smoking may actually help prevent Alzheimer's.. So technically it may keep you from getting stupid :whistle:

People should be polite enough to shut the door though, cigarette smoke smells terrible if your not a smoker yourself. I remember when I first quit and people were smoking around me.. it was disgusting.. I never knew it was that bad. It's like psychological though, if you yourself can't smell it you almost forget it exists.

ali777

Reaction score
I read a book on statistics, the author was claiming that the link between passive smoking and its effects on passive smokers are over stated. He basically was saying that the results are not statistically significant enough, and that many studies carried out couldn't replicate the published results.

It sounds like I'm defending smoking, I absolutely hate being a passive smoker and I'm glad smoking is banned in closed public spaces.

HughJass

Reaction score
I say let the kids have their cigarettes. One of the best things about being young is doing things you're not supposed to.

It also helps children become cooler and gain more friends.

CCS

Reaction score
ali777 said:
I read a book on statistics, the author was claiming that the link between passive smoking and its effects on passive smokers are over stated. He basically was saying that the results are not statistically significant enough, and that many studies carried out couldn't replicate the published results.

It sounds like I'm defending smoking, I absolutely hate being a passive smoker and I'm glad smoking is banned in closed public spaces.

Do you mean occational smokers, or second hand smokers?

The danger to second hand smokers depends on how much they get, but even if you just put a cigarette butt in an indoor trash can, the smell would drive me nuts even if it did not hurt me at all. It would make me go crazy and want to double the cigarette taxes, just over that one offense by one person. Not sure if my gas bothers people more than cigarettes bother me, but not much I can do about it since I produce so much.

The danger to occational smokers is they get addicted. They often don't just smoke once a week for long. Either they quit for good, or they get sucked into daily use and then can't cut back. I've been told time and again by people that they only smoke occationally, but I see them light up every 30 minutes.

ali777

Reaction score
CCS said:
ali777 said:

Do you mean occational smokers, or second hand smokers?

The danger to second hand smokers depends on how much they get, but even if you just put a cigarette butt in an indoor trash can, the smell would drive me nuts even if it did not hurt me at all. It would make me go crazy and want to double the cigarette taxes, just over that one offense by one person. Not sure if my gas bothers people more than cigarettes bother me, but not much I can do about it since I produce so much.

The danger to occational smokers is they get addicted. They often don't just smoke once a week for long. Either they quit for good, or they get sucked into daily use and then can't cut back. I've been told time and again by people that they only smoke occationally, but I see them light up every 30 minutes.

Passive smoker = second hand smoker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking