How Did You Feel Before And After Getting Your First Hair System?

SkepticMind

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you began thinking about getting a hair system, what was going through your mind, emotionally speaking? Were you relieved that there was a solution or were you anxious about taking that step of wearing a hair system?

After having worn the hair system, how did you feel? And how do you feel now that you are already wearing one? Are you happy about it? Do you think you can wear your hair system for the rest of your life? Does this comitment bother you or do you not mind it?

I am asking these questions because I am going to have mine soon. I am only 28 years old, and I am worried about shaving my head because I am not entirely bold but I am not happy about my thin hair and the continuing thinning. So I want to hear your experiences.

skyinearth

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont have one but just do it mate. Think like this: it's just a temporary solution until something comes onto the market that stops the hair loss completely.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my comment may not be pertinent as I was shaving bald for 15 years...but I am super happy wearing a piece now. i look 10 years younger ( even if its grey hair) . it all depends on what you dislike most ( losing hair-being bald OR wearing a piece). in my case, i told myself, if you don't like it, just shave every off again..

what got me curious was a facebook video of a guy with a piece diving in a pool... looked so realistic i couldn't beleive it was a piece. reseached it for 2-3 months, then did the leap. I am picky so my main issue right after was trying to have everything so perfect ( hairline, bond fit, edge of piece with my hair, etc..) after a while though, you will see that others do not notice hairpiece and the little particularities that are part of wearing hairpieces..

bottom line, life changer for me. Good luck

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my comment may not be pertinent as I was shaving bald for 15 years...but I am super happy wearing a piece now. i look 10 years younger ( even if its grey hair) . it all depends on what you dislike most ( losing hair-being bald OR wearing a piece). in my case, i told myself, if you don't like it, just shave every off again..

what got me curious was a facebook video of a guy with a piece diving in a pool... looked so realistic i couldn't beleive it was a piece. reseached it for 2-3 months, then did the leap. I am picky so my main issue right after was trying to have everything so perfect ( hairline, bond fit, edge of piece with my hair, etc..) after a while though, you will see that others do not notice hairpiece and the little particularities that are part of wearing hairpieces..

bottom line, life changer for me. Good luck

Where's that vid and did you find out what kind of system he was wearing?

evasive

Reaction score
When you began thinking about getting a hair system, what was going through your mind, emotionally speaking? Were you relieved that there was a solution or were you anxious about taking that step of wearing a hair system?

After having worn the hair system, how did you feel? And how do you feel now that you are already wearing one? Are you happy about it? Do you think you can wear your hair system for the rest of your life? Does this comitment bother you or do you not mind it?

I am asking these questions because I am going to have mine soon. I am only 28 years old, and I am worried about shaving my head because I am not entirely bold but I am not happy about my thin hair and the continuing thinning. So I want to hear your experiences.
Yes there was a decent amount of anxiety. Mostly about what your friends/family/neighbours might think of you. Will it look real? Would it be detectable? Would it fall off easily? How do I style it? How do I shower? What would I tell girls? Should I hide it from people or be open about it? All the normal questions.

After wearing it for almost a month, I wish I did this much sooner. Why? Because the whole "hair loss" thing is not much of a worry anymore. I don't have to look in the mirror and see my bald spot getting worse every day. I don't have to look at others guys on the street and envy their full head of hair. I don't use my balding as an excuse to not approach women anymore. I don't browse hair loss forums (except this subforum) because other hair loss subforums do not pertain to me anymore. I don't have to keep up with the hottest and newest hair loss treatments, it's irrelevant now. I don't have to take Finasteride/Minoxidil which gives you limp dick/low libido/feminizing effects and an aging face. I don't have to constantly battle with the whole "Should I just accept my hair loss and shave my head?" conflict anymore. The reception from women is much much better - back to how it was when I had a full head of hair. Helps a lot with confidence because you get more entitled. You look way younger. And having a good haircut makes you look higher status / well kept / neat.

Would I wear it for the rest of life? Yes, I am fighting this sh*t till the very end. It's a pretty low commitment for me. Money is not really an issue since I do well business wise and saved up enough money to afford hair systems for the rest of my life. 2 week salon trip does everything for me. Cleans it. Installs it. I get a new system every month.

The truth is hair loss f**king sucks. If I looked better with a shaved head, I would shave it. But I look a lot worse and older. 99% of guys look better with a full head of hair. Having a hairline and a full head of hair does WONDERS for your looks. Was I insecure about losing my hair? F**k yes. How the hell am I not supposed to be insecure when I see myself in the mirror everyday looking shittier and shittier (not to mention getting poorer results with women which decreases my confidence further..)? Am I just supposed to accept that?

What's the point of making money if you can't invest it in yourself? Whats the point of life if you are not happy? This is 2018 and there is a quick fix to this stupid hair loss issue we have to deal with. You only get 1 life on this earth, you do your best to maximize your chances of happiness. If this hair loss thing is f**king with your happiness.. you have to do everything in your power to fix the problem. F**k what people think about you getting a hair system. Put your happiness above what people think of you.

Last edited:

ancucdi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes there was a decent amount of anxiety. Mostly about what your friends/family/neighbours might think of you. Will it look real? Would it be detectable? Would it fall off easily? How do I style it? How do I shower? What would I tell girls? Should I hide it from people or be open about it? All the normal questions.

After wearing it for almost a month, I wish I did this much sooner. Why? Because the whole "hair loss" thing is not much of a worry anymore. I don't have to look in the mirror and see my bald spot getting worse every day. I don't have to look at others guys on the street and envy their full head of hair. I don't use my balding as an excuse to not approach women anymore. I don't browse hair loss forums (except this subforum) because other hair loss subforums do not pertain to me anymore. I don't have to keep up with the hottest and newest hair loss treatments, it's irrelevant now. I don't have to take Finasteride/Minoxidil which gives you limp dick/low libido/feminizing effects and an aging face. I don't have to constantly battle with the whole "Should I just accept my hair loss and shave my head?" conflict anymore. The reception from women is much much better - back to how it was when I had a full head of hair. Helps a lot with confidence because you get more entitled. You look way younger. And having a good haircut makes you look higher status / well kept / neat.

Would I wear it for the rest of life? Yes, I am fighting this sh*t till the very end. It's a pretty low commitment for me. Money is not really an issue since I do well business wise and saved up enough money to afford hair systems for the rest of my life. 2 week salon trip does everything for me. Cleans it. Installs it. I get a new system every month.

The truth is hair loss f**king sucks. If I looked better with a shaved head, I would shave it. But I look a lot worse and older. 99% of guys look better with a full head of hair. Having a hairline and a full head of hair does WONDERS for your looks. Was I insecure about losing my hair? F**k yes. How the hell am I not supposed to be insecure when I see myself in the mirror everyday looking shittier and shittier (not to mention getting poorer results with women which decreases my confidence further..)? Am I just supposed to accept that?

What's the point of making money if you can't invest it in yourself? Whats the point of life if you are not happy? This is 2018 and there is a quick fix to this stupid hair loss issue we have to deal with. You only get 1 life on this earth, you do your best to maximize your chances of happiness. If this hair loss thing is f**king with your happiness.. you have to do everything in your power to fix the problem. F**k what people think about you getting a hair system. Put your happiness above what people think of you.
best post ever, and this is what i would think!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also saw that Quiff add, and similar to @AxC123, I had been shaving bald for quite a long time (24 years) before doing it. I decided to do it on a lark, just for shits and giggles, and now I really like it. It also pays to invest in a quality system.

People who have not seen me for a while comment how amazing it is that I have grown out my hair. Yesterday, a very young guy working in a bakery complimented me on my hair, said it looked incredible and asked if I had it straightened. And even in the very harsh, unforgiving bright lights of the place, it looked like my own hair.

After six months, it has become a part of my look and my personality. It will be interesting how I feel over the next couple of days, as I am going to a spa, and decided to travel without it (long hair + glue + spa = no fun).

Best of luck to you.

Kieran25

My Regimen
Reaction score

I hated my system when it first went on. The salon told me to let it settle and come down, but a week later it was the same and I hated it everyday. I wore a hat everyday to work with people asking why etc. The day I took the hat off, I put gel in to flatten the hair and got so many comments such as 'new lid' or 'what happened'. I wasn't comfortable saying I had a system so lied and said I've been growing my hair. 5 weeks in now and even after the first maintenance, I hate it.....I'm going to a barber shop this weekend where the guy cuts systems to help me thin it out, if that fails, I am now looking to get a new system as I've posted in this group today from 2 companies I am considering. Confidence is key so be happy in what you do, but be prepared it could take time to get used to and the way you want it

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hated my system when it first went on. The salon told me to let it settle and come down, but a week later it was the same and I hated it everyday. I wore a hat everyday to work with people asking why etc. The day I took the hat off, I put gel in to flatten the hair and got so many comments such as 'new lid' or 'what happened'. I wasn't comfortable saying I had a system so lied and said I've been growing my hair. 5 weeks in now and even after the first maintenance, I hate it.....I'm going to a barber shop this weekend where the guy cuts systems to help me thin it out, if that fails, I am now looking to get a new system as I've posted in this group today from 2 companies I am considering. Confidence is key so be happy in what you do, but be prepared it could take time to get used to and the way you want it

I won’t say I hated it, but I was very aware of density, and believability. I was kind of freaking out at the thickness of it, so they thinned and thinned. I started out with a Medium-light density, and by the time we finished, I had it thinned to a light density. In order t get the light density I wanted, we cut my hair pretty short.

It looks good, but I do use more produc than I want to so I don’t get that frizzed out look. My next unit is a light density, and on this one, I’ll keep it longer. I think I can find a balance that gives me more flexibility than the one I have now. I get my new piece next week. It will be interesting.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I won’t say I hated it, but I was very aware of density, and believability. I was kind of freaking out at the thickness of it, so they thinned and thinned. I started out with a Medium-light density, and by the time we finished, I had it thinned to a light density. In order t get the light density I wanted, we cut my hair pretty short.

It looks good, but I do use more produc than I want to so I don’t get that frizzed out look. My next unit is a light density, and on this one, I’ll keep it longer. I think I can find a balance that gives me more flexibility than the one I have now. I get my new piece next week. It will be interesting.

I think your hair really suits you and is very age appropriate (I saw your main thread about it). What about your front hairline shape - did you cut the base to that shape yourself or did you ask the salon/supplier to do that?

Density is a big factor but I put almost equal importance on the shape of the front hairline. Too straight and will look instantly fake. I took a pair of scissors to my system and cut the base so that it had more of a receding hairline look.

I'm 44 and when the salon put the hair on me I hated it. It was far too thick for my age (a 20 year old might just about get away with that hair) and it was very black (they only did #1 not #1b). I didn't go out for a week and then my wife found a local (normal) hairdresser who agreed to cut and thin my system. Then I was happier.

I've been wearing for 4 months now and I learn something new every week. Over time I have snipped my hair and the base and used different products etc and generally I am really happy with the end result. Only now, it's almost time to throw this system away and buy a new one, start all over again with the snipping and cutting!! :(

Salons typically don't care about your specific requirements. They just want you in and out. I'm sure there are good salons out there but I'm yet to find one where I live.

n1zza77

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your hair really suits you and is very age appropriate (I saw your main thread about it). What about your front hairline shape - did you cut the base to that shape yourself or did you ask the salon/supplier to do that?

Density is a big factor but I put almost equal importance on the shape of the front hairline. Too straight and will look instantly fake. I took a pair of scissors to my system and cut the base so that it had more of a receding hairline look.

I'm 44 and when the salon put the hair on me I hated it. It was far too thick for my age (a 20 year old might just about get away with that hair) and it was very black (they only did #1 not #1b). I didn't go out for a week and then my wife found a local (normal) hairdresser who agreed to cut and thin my system. Then I was happier.

I've been wearing for 4 months now and I learn something new every week. Over time I have snipped my hair and the base and used different products etc and generally I am really happy with the end result. Only now, it's almost time to throw this system away and buy a new one, start all over again with the snipping and cutting!! :(

Salons typically don't care about your specific requirements. They just want you in and out. I'm sure there are good salons out there but I'm yet to find one where I live.

My BIGGEST piece of advice is learn to do it yourself and a find a trust worthy barber. It's been a year for me. I started off at a toupee place, jesus christ, the worst experience of my life, pretty traumatic since my i couldn't go back with a shaved airstrip down my head haha ... at 22.
So I asked my mother for help, and we were able to do it ourselves. I learned all new tricks to make it most natural. Now I'm on a second piece that I did all by myself except the haircut, looks so legit it makes other peoples real hair look fake. Just hoenstly, do yourself a favor and spend some extra money on an extra piece and learn it yourself. Best ROI you could think of especially since its an everyday part of your life. PM me if you have any questions, i've been through the worst of it.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

To start out with, I’m going the salon route. I want to learn all the ins and out before I go to DIY.

I spoke in detail with the stylist at the beginning of the whole process, and hairline was a MAJOR concern as well. As I stated befor, left to my own devices, I’d walk out with the hair of a 20 year old, so I really needed their input to save me from myself.

The salon made a template and we mapped out a hairline that we all thought was age appropriate, and in my opinion, I think we pretty much nailed it. They cut my piece according to the template and since I went with a lace system, I really have a realistic hairline.

I was in shock at the amount of hair initially, and I really felt like I had a bouffant , even after they thinned it out. But I had to cool my jets a bit, remind myself I have gone to the salon for expert advise and listen to their opinion. I am 6 weeks into this and overall I am happy. I have had nothing but positive feedback! Ut like I said, since we thinned it from a medium light to basically a light density, I think my next piece in a light density may give me a more natural look without the need to load it up with product.

I’m happy with the salon thus far. We spent 2.5 hours on my first fitting, and I went a couple weeks ago, they removed it, shaved my head for the little bit of hair that grew back, and reattached the u it. That was a 90 minute visit. So luckily I am not feeling that “get them in, get them out” typemthing.

Kieran25

My Regimen
Reaction score
To start out with, I’m going the salon route. I want to learn all the ins and out before I go to DIY.

I spoke in detail with the stylist at the beginning of the whole process, and hairline was a MAJOR concern as well. As I stated befor, left to my own devices, I’d walk out with the hair of a 20 year old, so I really needed their input to save me from myself.

The salon made a template and we mapped out a hairline that we all thought was age appropriate, and in my opinion, I think we pretty much nailed it. They cut my piece according to the template and since I went with a lace system, I really have a realistic hairline.

I was in shock at the amount of hair initially, and I really felt like I had a bouffant , even after they thinned it out. But I had to cool my jets a bit, remind myself I have gone to the salon for expert advise and listen to their opinion. I am 6 weeks into this and overall I am happy. I have had nothing but positive feedback! Ut like I said, since we thinned it from a medium light to basically a light density, I think my next piece in a light density may give me a more natural look without the need to load it up with product.

I’m happy with the salon thus far. We spent 2.5 hours on my first fitting, and I went a couple weeks ago, they removed it, shaved my head for the little bit of hair that grew back, and reattached the u it. That was a 90 minute visit. So luckily I am not feeling that “get them in, get them out” typemthing.
Sounds good. You willing to share who you have been using?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I really regret that I didn't do the hair system 10 years earlier. I have zero regrets. It was wonderful.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Before I got my first hair system I wore human hair wigs from twodotshair and other ebay sellers.
Chinese hair terrible quality and came off very easy, as only secured by straps.
And lots of beanies or snapback caps.

I look ugly slick shiny cueball shaved bald. And had insults off people I know.

After, my first one was a disaster, as looked like a typical hair piece from TCP in 2017.
Didn't give up and found Optima Hair in birmingham a year later which I'm pretty happy with now in 2018.

Has made me very happy and lessened my depression, anxiety and boosted my confidence going out.