How dense can a hair transplant be

andyhunt

Reaction score
After 2 sessions, my head is covered with hair and I am very satisfied however, I wish it could be thicker on top.

In comparison to be being bald it is 10000% better however it is not as thick as it was when i was in my early 20's.

Has anyone had a hair transplant (or 2 or 3 ..) and the final result has been good coverage and thick hair that completely covers the scalp?

PS I've posted this on my own forum and others as well as it's a question I've never had answered.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi andyhunt, since expectations could be different for u and those who see u had it done, i may like to see your Before and after pics.

If i were u i would add more hair in the front hairline. Antway in cas eu wondering i have not done a hair transplant yet a i am only Norwood 2 with thinning in DHT senstive areas. I dont have a need for hair transplant currently..

andyhunt

Reaction score
The clinic that did my hair only quotes in number of hairs and I had just less than 9000.
Graft-wise, I would estimate I had between 4000-4500.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Andyhunt remember to post pics after yr hair have grown. Then we could be able to see the full effect of a hair transplant.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Hiar looks absolutely great, especially in the pics at the bottom. If you ever opt for a 3rd transplant, I would be seriously amazed by the results.

G

Hey Andy,

What an awesome transformation from the very first pic to where you are right now. How old are you and were you a Norwood 6 before your first hair transplant? Is there any way you can shoot some digital quality close-ups of your hairline?

It appears you are using gel or something before the dry hair pics. Notice when you hair is dry you appear to have more coverage. I certainly would not add any more density on top because you'll want to save some donor for the future. The lateral humps on the sides and coronet area in the crown could recede in time.

You look like a guy with decent coverage and that's what hair restoration can produce, an illusion of coverage without having or needing to attain original density levels. It can't be done anyway so thank goodness it's not needed and the real issue is that there will never be enough donor to get there. Most patients only need to get up to approximately half of original density to "look" restored. And the better hair characteristics, the less grafts needed, generally speaking.

G

Hair characteristics help greatly with the illusion of density. If you have fine hair then you are going to require a higher density than someone with coarse hair for instance to get a similar coverage.

Depending on your donor supply, loss pattern and characteristics the hairline is the area which should have the most density as this is the area of most importance IMO.
Regards
spex

G

The frontal zone definitely is considered to be the area of high visual impact and in my experience most patients desire restoration in that area transcending into the midscalp. The hairline is a part of or better said as the start of the frontal zone and the commencement should be done in single hair grafts. That is the point where a feathered look would be the goal to achieve the most natural work of mother nature as possible.