How Common Are The Mental Side Effects Due To Finasteride?

Zarif

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would like to know how often people get the mental side effects. Sexual ones seem to be more common than not.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah basically even the sexual sides are mental.
i've posted this before but the sexual sides come from people worrying about finasteride sides - when they go to have sex, all they think about is "i hope the finasteride doesn't affect me", this makes their penis soft due to anxiety and they are convinced they have finasteride sides.
when they stop taking finasteride, they still think about sides and stay soft - they are convinced they have PFS when infact it is all in their heads.

i would estimate that the vast majority of sides are in peoples heads; apart from ball ache, semen volume and urination.

Tick-Tock

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is patently untrue. As someone who's been on finasteride on and off for the past eight years or so, and never had any issue with sexual side effects before, I am finally having to stop taking it because of almost complete loss of libido and ED. I never psyched myself out about this drug. One day a few weeks ago things just started going south. There are multiple threads on this forum where people have gotten the sexual side effects much sooner.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would like to know how often people get the mental side effects. Sexual ones seem to be more common than not.

I believe the sexual sides are more common than the 2% risk the doctors will advise. But keep in mind, most of the time you read anything about finasteride it’s people on the internet posting about side effects. The people not experiencing them are not talking about it at all let alone making blogs about it and I do believe said people who just take the pill and move on with their lives are in the majority. The sex sides are also not as severe imo. I think it’s rare that someone actually ends up with any worse than a slight decrease in libido/ejaculate quality. Those that do will let their nightmare be known (by their own right) and then everyone else’s says ‘hey, me too.’ But it’s not quite that cut and dry.

The mental sides are real but (again this is just my theory) rather than taking one pill and instantly getting confused they just build up over time. Like yeah if you take finasteride for 15 years it’s going to have an effect on your brain. I know the science suggests this could happen sooner but where’s the proof that it has ?? Very easy to think a drug is making you think slower or feel depressed and just as easy to think you’ve been cured if you quit taking that drug.

In the end you have to be the judge.

furtbr

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, decreasing 70% of your male hormone won't change anything about you. It is just in your head.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe the sexual sides are more common than the 2% risk the doctors will advise. But keep in mind, most of the time you read anything about finasteride it’s people on the internet posting about side effects. The people not experiencing them are not talking about it at all let alone making blogs about it and I do believe said people who just take the pill and move on with their lives are in the majority. The sex sides are also not as severe imo. I think it’s rare that someone actually ends up with any worse than a slight decrease in libido/ejaculate quality. Those that do will let their nightmare be known (by their own right) and then everyone else’s says ‘hey, me too.’ But it’s not quite that cut and dry.

The mental sides are real but (again this is just my theory) rather than taking one pill and instantly getting confused they just build up over time. Like yeah if you take finasteride for 15 years it’s going to have an effect on your brain. I know the science suggests this could happen sooner but where’s the proof that it has ?? Very easy to think a drug is making you think slower or feel depressed and just as easy to think you’ve been cured if you quit taking that drug.

In the end you have to be the judge.

Yes, it doesn't take much research to see that the original studies on Finasteride sides are not the 100% truth as more recent independent studies have shown - https://abcnews.go.com/Health/baldn...g-possibly-permanent-sexual/story?id=16758123. Indeed Merik has, more then once been forced to update the label to include reports of libido, ejaculation and orgasm disorders and the continuation of sides after you stop taking it.

As far as "mental" sides this is probably the biggest grey are of the lot though. I mean how can you really be sure Finasteride is definitely the cause of your depression or brain fog? It does seem that mental sides from finasteride are real though - https://prostate.net/articles/bph-d...a-proscar-causes-depression-suicidal-thoughts. The real question is how common are they? Certainly more research is needed. Perhaps the biggest concern is that nothing at all is known about the long term effects on your brain.

Tick-Tock

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys know of a reliable place to buy v**** online? Somewhere I won't have to worry about getting bad pills?

olli2010

Reaction score
Don`t make yourself crazy. It`s only because of all these horror stories out there. I used finasteride for many years and the worst side effect was that i felt somehow tired (when i took 1mg).