How Close Are We To That Magic Silver Bullet?

wintop6211

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hopefully finasteride + Minoxidil will allow my hair stay on my head before that cure been invented. How long do you guys think it will take? 10 years?

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think there will ever be a magic bullet. I think that hair restoration technology will progress in much the same way that every other area of medicine has, in painstakingly slow increments and ever better treatments. I don't think there will be one cure that will end it forever, but rather new treatments that can be used in conjunction with existing treatments.

Honestly, I think what we should be looking into is what makes that damn horseshoe resistant to DHT in most bald men except the 5% who have DUPA and try to replicate that someway, either through medication or hair multiplication. Trying to stop the loss of the DHT sensitive hairs is a losing battle imo.

I'm pretty pessimistic though, just look at how much money has been poured into cancer research, which is considered of utmost life and death importance by the public and given government funding. What breakthrough treatments do we really have to show for decades of research and trillions of dollars? Still the same ravaging chemotherapy as we had decades ago. I am even less optimistic about the prospects of curing baldness, which the public largely sees as a vanity issue that men should get over and solve with shaving cream and a bic and that does not have government funding.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, considering that silver bullets are the weakness of werewolves, and we're the opposite of werewolves in terms of number of hair follicles left on our head; we may need something other than a silver bullet.

All jokes aside: 3-5 years...Maybe, big maybe.

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it will be 3-5 years before I can save up for a hair transplant anyways. Hell, it will be that long before I am old enough for a clinic to accept me. Maybe something will happen in that time. Not counting on it though.

Tracksterderm

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think there will ever be a magic bullet. I think that hair restoration technology will progress in much the same way that every other area of medicine has, in painstakingly slow increments and ever better treatments. I don't think there will be one cure that will end it forever, but rather new treatments that can be used in conjunction with existing treatments.

Honestly, I think what we should be looking into is what makes that damn horseshoe resistant to DHT in most bald men except the 5% who have DUPA and try to replicate that someway, either through medication or hair multiplication. Trying to stop the loss of the DHT sensitive hairs is a losing battle imo.

I'm pretty pessimistic though, just look at how much money has been poured into cancer research, which is considered of utmost life and death importance by the public and given government funding. What breakthrough treatments do we really have to show for decades of research and trillions of dollars? Still the same ravaging chemotherapy as we had decades ago. I am even less optimistic about the prospects of curing baldness, which the public largely sees as a vanity issue that men should get over and solve with shaving cream and a bic and that does not have government funding.
I agree it is painfully slow progress in the small picture, but as more research is being done on stem cells and genetics, we might find ourselves not needing to understand the exact cause or mechanism of a specific desease, but can still treat the condition. For instance, many are being cured from MS with stem cell therapy. And soon a guy will get a full body transplant.

But in terms of a magical pill where you can pop that one pilk and your hair starts to grow perfect on your head without any sideeffects, that will probably never happen.

I am personally very optimistic about RCH-01, and do believe "topping up" with dht-resistant cells will help maintain and regrow to some extent, but might need to get repeat treatments over time to be fully cured

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There will likely never be a "magic bullet" for hairloss, but there will be better treatments in the next few years.

Shiseido and Follica are the nearest things to market release and the most likely things to both maintain and grow new hair; a combination therapy of the two would likely be enough for most people.

Hair multiplication or bioprinting like Tsuji and TissUse for the former and L'Oreal for the latter are the endgame, but wouldn't see a market release until next decade and will be prohibitively expensive. Assuming it all goes as planned, these teams' own predictions and judging on how long its taken similar technologies like LASIK to drop in price, put it this way: I'm 25 now; I'll likely be in my 40s before such treatments are widespread and reasonably priced.

The only thing I can see speeding this up is if more countries get their heads out of their asses when it comes to stem cell laws and the FDA stops being a bunch of uppity b****s, but I doubt it.

Keep poppin' those pills, using that minoxidil and when Shiseido and Follica hit the market, budget to use them — they're all you're likely to have before you're looking at retirement.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree it is painfully slow progress in the small picture, but as more research is being done on stem cells and genetics, we might find ourselves not needing to understand the exact cause or mechanism of a specific desease, but can still treat the condition. For instance, many are being cured from MS with stem cell therapy...

Possibly not one magic bullet but many. Came across this today-

https://www.worldhealth.net/news/alerting-stem-cells-hurry-and-heal/

Potentially an additional key to sustain activity of stem cells which may result in higher survival of transplanted or regenerated follicles. I'm highly encouraged by the Japanese interest as they seem to be accelerating in the area of bio research and changed laws regarding stem cell research and requirements for clinical trials. The "real" bullet will be genetic modification of a person by introducing whatever gene or snp we are missing that makes the follicle less sensitive to androgenic factors. We've mapped the entire human genome but how it works is like asking NASA to make sense out of all the data they received from the Hubble. With current methods, it'll be decades if not a couple centuries to get an answer. However, artificial intelligence and quantum computing would change that time frame immensely.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There will likely never be a "magic bullet" for hairloss, but there will be better treatments in the next few years.

Shiseido and Follica are the nearest things to market release and the most likely things to both maintain and grow new hair; a combination therapy of the two would likely be enough for most people.

Hair multiplication or bioprinting like Tsuji and TissUse for the former and L'Oreal for the latter are the endgame, but wouldn't see a market release until next decade and will be prohibitively expensive. Assuming it all goes as planned, these teams' own predictions and judging on how long its taken similar technologies like LASIK to drop in price, put it this way: I'm 25 now; I'll likely be in my 40s before such treatments are widespread and reasonably priced.

The only thing I can see speeding this up is if more countries get their heads out of their asses when it comes to stem cell laws and the FDA stops being a bunch of uppity b****s, but I doubt it.

Keep poppin' those pills, using that minoxidil and when Shiseido and Follica hit the market, budget to use them — they're all you're likely to have before you're looking at retirement.

I thought you were high on Brotzu lotion. People look up to your optimism about that stuff here, you gave up on it?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Based on the interview, I believe Tsuji's treatment could be available for something in the ballpark of $40,000 in the next 5-7 years. It's just speculation though, I wish I could give a more informed response, but they haven't given us too much in the last 8 months.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought you were high on Brotzu lotion. People look up to your optimism about that stuff here, you gave up on it?

I have never been high on the Brotzu lotion, I think people think that because of my creating the FAQ thread.

I think it has potential to be an alternative to the finasteride/minoxidil combo, possibly even a little better, but that's it. Far and away from a magic bullet.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made the 5 years lol, joke yet? Who am I kidding in a thread like this I'm sure there's already a couple super witty eff tards that have made that golden comment! Originality in its purest form, that joke is!