How close are we to a cure?

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
maybe because hairloss isn't seen like that big of a deal? I'd say a large majority of people who become bald accept it over time, whilst theres people like people on this forum (me included), a minority who can't accept it and fight it..

It doesn't cause illness (maybe mental illness), so yeah its not seen as a big deal?
If it had some physical implication towards becoming bald, yeah i'm sure scientists would work towards finding a cure quicker than they have been. But it doesn't, therefore its not seen as a big deal. And to be honest it lowers self-esteem, self value, body image, etc, but those can be fixed over time as you accept who you are...

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe advance robotic hair transplants will be the next big thing, but I believe that to be 15-25 years away. Hair cloning is maybe within the next 10 years if we are lucky, but I'm really not convinced.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
We will all be OAP's by the time there's a cure . We will have wasted our entire lives waiting and hoping and then they'll be a cure for the next generation . The thought makes me sick as it'll be too late for us .

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Y'all are totally right. There was a recent survey among scientists, asking: "In your opinion, is it more important to cure hair loss for mice than for humans?" The results were as follows:
  • 68% Yes, mice are a more important treatment target
  • 32% No, we should focus on finding a cure for humans

Of the 68% answering "curing mice baldness is more important", these were the most frequent reasons provided:
  • It is financially much more profitable to cure mice
  • We need to oppress bald men, because otherwise our mating chances would decrease
  • We are in a huge conspiracy with big pharma

It was actually meant as a little joke. There are a lot of ways to regrow hair on mice out there, but none for humans. I don't think that they try to oppress us or that there is a conspiracy. There is simply a lack of motivation to find a cure, even knowing the amount of money that you can make out of it. Look at Replicel for example, it is proven that with one single ejection you can at least maintain your hair and that if more injections can restore death follicle we have a cure but still they have tons of delays.

P.s; correct me if I am wrong though. I got that last bit of information from a threat you made but I might misunderstood.

maybe because hairloss isn't seen like that big of a deal? I'd say a large majority of people who become bald accept it over time, whilst theres people like people on this forum (me included), a minority who can't accept it and fight it..

It doesn't cause illness (maybe mental illness), so yeah its not seen as a big deal?
If it had some physical implication towards becoming bald, yeah i'm sure scientists would work towards finding a cure quicker than they have been. But it doesn't, therefore its not seen as a big deal. And to be honest it lowers self-esteem, self value, body image, etc, but those can be fixed over time as you accept who you are...

I think it is the other way around. A minority doesn't care and the majority does. A perfect example would be girls with small boobs, it doesn't cause illness or any other disadvantage with health. But still the mental impact it has on some is taken serious (which is good). Why wouldn't hair loss be taken serious then if it also has a big impact on your mental health?

paulie72785

Established Member
Reaction score
Y'all are totally right. There was a recent survey among scientists, asking: "In your opinion, is it more important to cure hair loss for mice than for humans?" The results were as follows:
  • 68% Yes, mice are a more important treatment target
  • 32% No, we should focus on finding a cure for humans

Of the 68% answering "curing mice baldness is more important", these were the most frequent reasons provided:
  • It is financially much more profitable to cure mice
  • We need to oppress bald men, because otherwise our mating chances would decrease
  • We are in a huge conspiracy with big pharma

For a second their i felt this was for real.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
It was actually meant as a little joke. There are a lot of ways to regrow hair on mice out there, but none for humans. I don't think that they try to oppress us or that there is a conspiracy. There is simply a lack of motivation to find a cure, even knowing the amount of money that you can make out of it. Look at Replicel for example, it is proven that with one single ejection you can at least maintain your hair and that if more injections can restore death follicle we have a cure but still they have tons of delays.

P.s; correct me if I am wrong though. I got that last bit of information from a threat you made but I might misunderstood.

I think it is the other way around. A minority doesn't care and the majority does. A perfect example would be girls with small boobs, it doesn't cause illness or any other disadvantage with health. But still the mental impact it has on some is taken serious (which is good). Why wouldn't hair loss be taken serious then if it also has a big impact on your mental health?

Yeah I agree with what your saying, but I think overtime people come to accept their baldness
Its like Kubler-Ross model of Grief
1. Denial.
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to regrow hair on mice out there, but none for humans.
Yes, due to them having fur they have certain growth factors that humans naturally lack. The mouse models need to be modified accordingly to be useful, which many researchers haven't done in the past. It was sloppy work.

I don't think that they try to oppress us or that there is a conspiracy.
Guess why I wrote about these "reasons". There are quite a few people on here who do believe that and preach it over and over again.

There is simply a lack of motivation to find a cure, even knowing the amount of money that you can make out of it.
No, there is no lack of motivation. The R&D departments of "big pharma" perform ROI assessments for pretty much everything. The fact that they don't work on something just means that the risk is too high not to find any viable approach with the current state of basic research (i.e. too big investments with too small a chance to find something). Basic research is almost exclusively performed by public research bodies which, however, are chronically under-funded.

Look at Replicel for example, it is proven that with one single ejection you can at least maintain your hair and that if more injections can restore death follicle we have a cure but still they have tons of delays.

This is correct. Problem is that RepliCel is really confusing recently. It seems they have changed their RCH-01 Phase 2 protocols so the trials will take longer than previously scheduled. I had asked people some weeks ago to post questions about RCH-01's general availability on their facebook page (with fake accounts if necessary), but unfortunately there was only little support.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
125 years.

From where did i get this estimation ? Well like all the other fellows who say "5 years" : from my ***.

LOL so true. Why 5? Why not 4 years, or 6... maybe 7? Why is it always 5?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
He said that he was working with NASA and a rare Mars space rock (literally plucked from Mars and brought back here) is being synthesized into a chewable vitamin tablet that will come in either Strawberry or Mango flavors and it will, he predicts, grow all of a man's hair back within hours of taking just one pill. He was telling me a cure for male pattern baldness is about 10 to 15 seconds away. Really good news imho.

What about his hair? is good?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't really care much for a cure anymore since my hair transplant. It isn't perfect of course and I think it will not look that good under harsh lights.

But what would a cure achieve for me now? A NW1 instead of a NW2.5 and a better coverage. It won't change my confidence and social life at all at this point.

Oh yeah I might be a little more confident about the way I look when harsh fluorescent lights.

I think as long as you can avoid being the slick bald dude, you're pretty much saved when it comes to harsh treatment from society and women.

But everyone is different and I think I can pull it off and be content with what I have mostly because of my hair characteristics (blond, low contrast with scalp etc.).

I'm keeping an eye on the news for other treatments of course. Because the more safety nets you get for this crap, the better.

For you it may not matter, but there are plenty of men that really need a cure since the current options are still garbage. Let's be honest dude; hair transplants can only take you so far and aren't for everyone.

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
What about his hair? is good?

He showed me pics. He used to be an NW1000000000000, now he's an Norwood-1

Don't you think the internet has kind of exacerbated the difficulty for some people to accept it? 25 years ago there were no internet forums for hair loss. If there were any self help groups it was probably quite difficult to come across them. Without sites like HairLossTalk.com, I would imagine a man would have to toughen up quickly because he had no other option. (And realize "quickly" could mean a couple of years, as opposed to ten). How did men used to travel long distances without any sort of rapid transit? Well, they just toughened up and did it. You ask a guy now to travel far without a car or bus or train or plane, he'll literally well up with tears and say you are oppressing him.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
For you it may not matter, but there are plenty of men that really need a cure since the current options are still garbage. Let's be honest dude; hair transplants can only take you so far and aren't for everyone.

Agreed don't think only about yourself Fred. Think about all the people who's lives would completely change if they got a cure. If I got my hair back tomorrow I would still want a cure for all the other people suffering from baldness.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, due to them having fur they have certain growth factors that humans naturally lack. The mouse models need to be modified accordingly to be useful, which many researchers haven't done in the past. It was sloppy work.

Didn't actually thought about that, but it does make sense. A mouse doesn't work the same as a human.

This is correct. Problem is that RepliCel is really confusing recently. It seems they have changed their RCH-01 Phase 2 protocols so the trials will take longer than previously scheduled. I had asked people some weeks ago to post questions about RCH-01's general availability on their facebook page (with fake accounts if necessary), but unfortunately there was only little support.

It would be great if they were running early on schedule.

beholder

Established Member
Reaction score
No worries, Goldilocks, the cure is here and now! We just don't know what it is exactly.

Let me explain. The pharma companies actually do know which chemicals and compounds are effective but they don't want to do studies as there is no profit in non-pattentable compounds. Therefore they search for a "holy grail of hairgrowth" while the actual cure is probably hidden in a cocktail of known compounds.

The other obvious truth about this unknown cocktail is that you would have to apply it topically at least once a day. And you would probably have to apply at least two different cocktails (i.e. there is not one cocktail per se) as some compounds like alcohol carrier and some are better in distilled water carrier.

There is also a difference in whether you just want to cure hairloss OR regrow your hair on bald areas. I believe the latter is still quite far however not too far anyway.

Last edited:

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
Didn't actually thought about that, but it does make sense. A mouse doesn't work the same as a human.

It would be great if they were running early on schedule.

Just like evellocks, even if I got all my hair back I would still care about a cure. Because I would still feel bad for hair loss sufferers over the world especially for the people on this forum, knowing how it lowers their life quality. Not to mention that hair loss is one of the few cosmetic problems that you can't fix yet. For instance you can always fix your bad teeth or small nose.

OH, and how is a nose fixed? Through surgery. There exists hair transplant as well.
Let's be realistic: hairloss can be fixed to some extent. IF you catch it early, there are meds that can halt it, and then there are hair transplants.
So you can "fix" it. OF course, there's no miracle solution:meds have sides, don't work well in everyone, transplantc can fail, you can have poor donor, etc.
Fixing bad teeth? Do you know what that means? Taking them out and putting some artificial ones with some screws?
And how does that differ from glueing a hairpiece to your head? OF course, the hairpiece needs maintenance, otherwise it's not a big difference. Artifical teeth-artificial hair.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really care much for a cure anymore since my hair transplant. It isn't perfect of course and I think it will not look that good under harsh lights.

But what would a cure achieve for me now? A NW1 instead of a NW2.5 and a better coverage. It won't change my confidence and social life at all at this point.

Oh yeah I might be a little more confident about the way I look when harsh fluorescent lights.

I think as long as you can avoid being the slick bald dude, you're pretty much saved when it comes to harsh treatment from society and women.

But everyone is different and I think I can pull it off and be content with what I have mostly because of my hair characteristics (blond, low contrast with scalp etc.).

I'm keeping an eye on the news for other treatments of course. Because the more safety nets you get for this crap, the better.

The problem with harsh lights would be only if you keep it long.
IF it;s buzzed , the more light-the better, just my opinion.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
We are so close I can taste it.

TruthFolder

Reaction score
OH, and how is a nose fixed? Through surgery. There exists hair transplant as well.
Let's be realistic: hairloss can be fixed to some extent. IF you catch it early, there are meds that can halt it, and then there are hair transplants.
So you can "fix" it. OF course, there's no miracle solution:meds have sides, don't work well in everyone, transplantc can fail, you can have poor donor, etc.
Fixing bad teeth? Do you know what that means? Taking them out and putting some artificial ones with some screws?
And how does that differ from glueing a hairpiece to your head? OF course, the hairpiece needs maintenance, otherwise it's not a big difference. Artifical teeth-artificial hair.

Nice try.

Except with the teeths you won't have to take them every week or so and put them (i mean glue them) again, they won't be noticeable under wind, harsh rain, water etc or when you are in bed with your partner.

The compareason is absolutely ridiculous.

And there is no social stigma attached to them. Tell any fangirl that the celebrity she adores did a teeth operation, it would be a "And ? , tell her he wears a hair transplant and se would do anything rater than believe it because inconcsiously she think about it negatively.