How Can You Know Finasteride Is Working?

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using it a month and a half. A month on generic proscar cut into fourths, the last two weeks on Merck Propecia.

I'm anxious as hell, is there any signs that I should be looking for that indicate a response?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using it a month and a half. A month on generic proscar cut into fourths, the last two weeks on Merck Propecia.

I'm anxious as hell, is there any signs that I should be looking for that indicate a response?
Wait at least a year

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was afraid of that but at least youre honest. In the meantime I'll lose hair from the stress of not knowing.
You will most likely go through a shed, it's normal and a sign it is working! Don't freak out and hang in there

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You will most likely go through a shed, it's normal and a sign it is working! Don't freak out and hang in there

So far I'm still shedding the way I was prior to finasteride. I love a few dozen hairs from the frontal forelock and the crown (the areas where I'm thinning), and maybe just a few from the horseshoe. Nothing has changed.

I did feel an increased libido the first week on Propecia, and a decrease in the need to urinate (I have BPH and need to take a peak often) but that has stopped gone back to normal in the last few days.

Gary Ferguson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Took me up to five months to stop going through the shed

ForeverLacey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately the only way to know if Finasteride or Dutasteride is working is if you have cessation in hair shedding and observe visual thickening. You have to wait for existing hairs in problem areas to cycle out and regrow which takes many months, patients is key. You cannot gauge success simply from the Telogen Effluvium effect these two drugs can cause upon starting. All that indicates is that the drug is acting on your endocrine system and not an indicator if you're a responder.