How Can They Say finasteride Stops Hairloss When There Is No Evidence That It Work At The Front?

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He lost hair in round patches and little strip like patches on the sides and back and also thinned out real bad... It was weird! He started to shave his head right away so I just saw him like that twice..
I know it lasted a long time and when his hair started to grow it was curlier and still had some thinner parts.. But now it's the same as it was before!
I don't know what he put on his head to treat it but he did put something!

jonnywalker93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't base your judgement on one single case you've found online. This stuff works for the majority as the studies show, so just hang in there. finasteride is used by hundreds of thousands around the world, so it is quite obvious that there are a few reports around which state that it doesn't work. If you are looking for user reports in terms of the hairline then just go back to the very early success stories from 2005, 2006, ...

Anyway, that's what I tell myself to keep up the hope (I'm 2 months in). If it doesn't work I will probably join the haters :-D

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Vanitykills Awesome!! Hope it maintains that way for a long time! Wish i could say the same for me....

@jonnywalker93 Sure. You're right but i never said finasteride doesn't work.. It's a fact that it does halt or slow down male pattern baldness for the majority, but it's also a fact that we don't quite understand how male pattern baldness works so how can someone say finasteride can't have the opposite effect on some people?? They call it hyperandrogenicity.. There are dozens of reports, but of course it's all anecdotal ..

I can only speak for myself, when I started to have an itchy scalp I waited almost 4 months before going to the derm.. During that time I was losing about 10 hairs in the shower, which is quite normal... Now, it's more like 30-40... There were weeks of 70-100+.... What are the odds of my male pattern baldness accelerating exactly after starting my treatment? Even my sides thinned out... It's not normal... But hey, I really hope it works for you !!! I don't want this feeling for no one!

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So today I started duta after the appointment I had with my derm. She actually said i was shedding quite a lot after doing a pull test, so I asked if she could prescribe me duta and spironolactone and she said she could but to start duta first and in a few months if I feel like it's necessary we could explore less orthodox options..

Anyway, starting duta alone is great because if my hair loss accelerates even more I can say with a decent certainty DHT inhibitors can in fact accelerate hair loss in some people.. It wont be just a coincidence anymore! But I really hope duta works and I can have peace for some time. Fingers crossed!

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once again no one here said it doesn't work. No one here said it wasn't safe. But if it works so greatly why don't you drop spironolactone, oral minoxidil etc. and stick just with good old 1mg fina and topical minoxidil?? They're the only FDA approved meds for hair loss...

No one on the clinical trial got persistent dick problems after stopping the drug but when it was released to the market a lot of people got them. They even had to list it as a side afterwards. So yeah it may work for 70% or whatever the number is and I will always recommend fina to balding guys, but there are always going to be a few poor bastards that are gonna get f'ed up sides.

I do feel my hair loss worsened after starting it but you are free to believe it or not. I won't discuss it any further because I bet you know all the theories about why it can happen and choose to dismiss them so yeah.....