how can i avoid my traps getting too big?

powersam

Reaction score
any shoulder exercise i do seems to make them bigger, and i dont want to look round shouldered.

powersam

Reaction score
actually screw it.

i'm just gonna do upper back exercises, a bunch of lateral and rear raises and some narrow grip bench pressing, do that for awhile and will see what happens.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
well, it's usually a result of your form.
lighten the weights on your shoulder exercises, widen the grip on your shoulder presses and concentrate on your delts.
and DON'T do any upper back exercises until you've got everything back into proportion :nono:

metalheaddude

Reaction score
powersam said:
any shoulder exercise i do seems to make them bigger, and i dont want to look round shouldered.

Yeah i was worried about this at one stage as well, I really hate that big trap round shoulder look. It actually makes your shoulders look more narrow. Which is a bad thing especially if you dont have particularily broad shoulders to begin with.

To be honest I dont think there is anyway you can avoid working them They are involved in practically every excercise indirectly. If you dont want them big then dont work them directly. The most direct excercise to work the traps is "dumbell Shrugs." If you dont do them then you should be fine.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
the size of your traps are related to your bone structure....people with curve or slanted clavicles tend to have high traps that grow very easily with rounded pecs....people with straight clavicles have broad shoulders and its harder for them to grow high traps their chest are more square like in appearance....some of the greatest body builders had curved clavicles.

powersam

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
the size of your traps are related to your bone structure....people with curve or slanted clavicles tend to have high traps that grow very easily with rounded pecs....people with straight clavicles have broad shoulders and its harder for them to grow high traps their chest are more square like in appearance....some of the greatest body builders had curved clavicles.

I'd read that as well, but i think mine may be due to overtraining certain muscles at the expense of others, as i never used to have this problem. it may be postural, but shoulders are kinda complicated to stretch properly. maybe i should get into the yoga or pilates.

Reaction score
:freaked2:
I can't believe what I'm reading here! Complaints about big traps and broad shoulders?!?
If you're not a female this is exactly what you should want! :)

barcafan

Reaction score
dont round your upper back when you do upper back work. Do pendlay rows, with perfect form your lats will explode

CCS

Reaction score
sgfdsg

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
my sister hates big lats. OK if they are kind of developed, but they better be a lot smaller than your shoulders.

smaller than your shoulders? the lat is a much much bigger muscle than any of your delts.

who cares what she thinks anyway?

metalheaddude

Reaction score
my sister hates big lats. OK if they are kind of developed, but they better be a lot smaller than your shoulders.

How the hell can your lats be bigger than your shoulders?? Is that even possible? :shock:

Doubtful :jackit:

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:

How the hell can your lats be bigger than your shoulders?? Is that even possible? :shock:

the lat is a much bigger muscle than any of the 3 shoulder muscles....so i dunno wtf you are talking about.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Maybe he means proportion wise if the lats are too big too match the delts.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
metalheaddude said:

the lat is a much bigger muscle than any of the 3 shoulder muscles....so i dunno wtf you are talking about.

Im talking about the width of the shoulder opposed to the width of the lats. Not the actual mass of the muscles involved.