how bout hair line lowering????????

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
i've thought about this myself. Wonder about the scar left from where they take the 'extra forehead' skin from. I would be a great candidate! Wonder if there's any shock loss?

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
I think your mistaken about the technique used for this procedure. It would be like any other Follicular Unit transplant. The hair is taken from the back of the head and placed along the new frontal hairline. I have seen examples of this done. There would be no forehead skin removed.

Men lower their receeding hairline all the time. I lowered my receeding hairline about a centimeter. For guys who do not have hairline recession, but do have a naturally high hairline, this is a dangerous procedure. Future recession behind the new hairline could cause a lifetime of problems. Women on the otherhand who don't experience hairline recession, sometimes would like to lower their naturally high hairline.

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
Notice that in the after photos you don't get a great view of the hairline.
Don't you wonder why ?

If you've seen this work you'll realise they won't show close up, clear hairline shots because you'd be shocked at the terrible scarring.

They inflate a balloon under your skin at the side, gradually pump it up to stretch the skin over a few weeks (think Elephant man) , cut a chunk of the bald area out & throw it in the trash, slice off the extra, new grown, stretched skin ..leaving a little piece attached and pull it over the head to fit in the gap and stitch it up.

Lovely.

A top hair surgeon such as Hasson & Wong, Cole, Feller, Wolf etc could lower the hairline & make it look perfectly natural for a fraction of the cost, much less hassle, less pain, much less scarring & your results would be a million times better.

G

Some very good points made by whiskey. This type of cosmetic surgey is also referred to as a "brow lift", and from my experience is mostly sought by women who do not have and/or not been formally diagnosed with androgentic alopecia. They simply desire a lower hairline rather than the one given them by mother nature. There are some cases involving men however IMO those males with genetic hairloss should never consider such a procedure because as was already mentioned, they run the high risk of continued haiross due to the progression of male pattern baldness, and then what to do with the scar that's left visible. :freaked: Or I'll ask the younger patient, "what are you going to do when you get older and now the low juvenile looking hairline appears unnatural"? Are you going to have that hair removed when you're forty or fifty years old? :freaked:

I have never been an advocate of cosmetic flap surgery as well. In fact this approach of surgical hair restoration dates back centuries in Asia. Note that in most cases there are scalp reductions done between the flaps or hair bearing scalp. OUCH!! Talk about scarring?! Just ask anyone who had a scalp reduction, especially the "mercedes method", where the scalp is pulled in three directions, tissue removed, and then closed with sutures which when healed leaves a scar pattern that looks like a peace sign from the sixties. I have physically seen many patients who had this mercedes method done in the eighties when it was more popular and most of them had open-donor (plugs) procedures that coincided with the scalp reduction procedures.

Some of you guys know how I continually warn patients that male pattern baldness is indeed progressive so guess what happens to the patient who continually loses hair around their plugs and scars? The scars show and lots of times stick out like a sore thumb. That's a tough place to be and cannot be reversed. Most of the patients I have conversed with tell me if they had to do it over again, NO WAY.

Thankfully more advanced methods in isolated extraction techniques can now thin out plugs by removing some of the FUs within the plugs so they don't stand out as much visually speaking. This is especially helpful to the patient with a wide color contrast. Bottom line? There is far more hope for the repair patient utilizing FUE extractions even from the body although I am not a proponent of patients doing large BHT procedures simply becuase of the lack of clinical documentation on yields.

IMO patients with male pattern baldness and especially those with virgin scalps should REALLY THINK TWICE regarding brow lifts, flaps, and scalp reductions. And I also agree with whiskey that pics really do not do the justice on these type of procedures. I mean the ideal is to physically see patients face-to-face on any type of cosmetic surgery and especially the ones where scarring is left in a high visual impact area like the frontal scalp, face, etc.

Remember one thing. Everyone heals differently. There are never any guarantees on post-op scarring "anywhere" on the body.

Lastly, hairlines are something that commence in FUs of primarily ones and occaisionally twos here and there, but mostly ones. That's how mother nature establishes hairlines and why a natural hairline is designed that way surgically speaking. When utilizing a flap, which edge do you bring to the hairline area? :shock: I just don't think a flap taken from the sides (rim) area is going to look natural in the frontal zone of the scalp, that's my opinion.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
Gorpy I think you've mistaken the particular technique discussed here...

I agree with Whiskey and Gill - the likelihood of a scar on the hairline and possibly losing the hair that conceals it is plain scary.

However if i got into my 50's and 60's with a young looking hairline - i don't think that would be something I'd be ashamed of...

jeffsss

Reaction score
made_guy82 said:

However if i got into my 50's and 60's with a young looking hairline - i don't think that would be something I'd be ashamed of...

me either

G

Guys, I've seen men in their 40s plus with a younger looking hairline and immediately my eyes drift to it. Some guys do look okay with it but the eye drift is caused by seeing something a little out of the ordinary for a man that age.

It is the "juvenile" hairline on men 40 plus that just does not look natural but hey guys, I've been in this industry for so long that I may be a little more predjudice on what my own opinions are. Let me make this a liitle more clear. Most juvenile hairlines commence from the frontalis area of the forehead and appears natural on children and young men up until say 30s on average. Obviously there are some exceptions, people with great collagen in their skin, etc. Some folks look 20 years younger than they are, but that's the exception.

Most men post 40 and even in their 30s do not have hairlines commencing from the frontalis so the eye drift is even more dramatic at least for me but again I know what to look for. :roll:

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
The beautiful happy woman in the first pic looks disstressed in the second.She should have been left alone.As I should have been.