How Bad Is My Crown? Diffuse Thinner (w/pic) Help Please

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been dealing with sebborheic dermatitis for over 2 years which has caused my hair to diffuse in different areas. One of the areas heavily impacted has been my crown. I just started my minoxidil journey 2 weeks ago. Surprisingly my hair loss has slowed down completely eversince i started to apply minoxidil which is very uncommon as I have read that you shed alot initially. Does anyone know why?

I have attached a current picture. Is there any hope?

Cheers,
Happy holidays!

Attachments

• A955AD10-2FDA-4F89-9067-3262000BD261.jpeg
    A955AD10-2FDA-4F89-9067-3262000BD261.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 516

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
How old? How long has it been thinning? Family history...These are all factors. We can't just tell you 'how long you got'.
I've been thinning for 30 years... Still not bald...

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
How old? How long has it been thinning? Family history...These are all factors. We can't just tell you 'how long you got'.

Thinning for 30 years and still not bald? Man you givin a brother hope out here, im thinning at 22 and everyday I wonder how long I have left. What is your story?

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 25 and about 1.5 years. I used to have the thickest hair in my family and that changed since i got sebborheic dermatitis. My brothers have full head of hair and dad did not start thinning until his 50s.

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinning for 30 years and still not bald? Man you givin a brother hope out here, im thinning at 22 and everyday I wonder how long I have left. What is your story?
I know right that is amazing. How bad does my condition look at the moment?

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there anyone on this forum who was a diffuse thinner and had success with minoxidil?

siralexj

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there anyone on this forum who was a diffuse thinner and had success with minoxidil?

I'm a diffuse thinner, and have had no success with minoxidil. I've just hopped on finasteride, will post update at 6 months. As of 3 months, no change seen really, and am experiencing the shed. I'm going to do up to 6 months of minoxidil with finast, plus derma roller, if there's no further change, I'll drop minoxidil.

ophair

My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm a diffuse thinner too, actually i have success with minoxidil, but meaning of success is different for all of us, i didn't get head full of hair nor filled fully my diffused areas but i have gotten some vellus hairs which already thickened and looks like permament hair even in the harline, using minoxidil for 7 months consistently, maybe missed 3-4 applications and for sure it slowed my male pattern baldness, still without finasteride it's lost war against hair loss.I'm still thinking about finasteride because i have pretty strong sense that it is going to work looking at my minoxidil response yet i don't know about side effects if they will occur in my case.

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
@siralexj @ophair thanks for your response. How was it like when you first started minoxidil? Did you go through the shed right away? Its been 2 weeks since i am on minoxidil and if anything i feel like my shed has gone down in comparison to baseline. Also, what do you feel about my baseline pic? Is there hope for recovery?

ophair

My Regimen
Reaction score
@wally564
I would have been so happy having your hair actually man, you have caught it early in my opinion.
When i first started minoxidil i went through big shed for i would say three months, I was taking it like something that occurs for most of people i have read about - necessary evil, then month 4-6 i have started to see regrowth(crown,hairline) i don't see it on top of my head because i'm trying to cover it with my hair.
You should be prepared for some kind of shed even later in your treatment however we are different from eachother and there's no one true respond for your question you might not have shed at all, only regrowth, hair cycle is every 3 months, you can get hair shed 6 months from now or it can stop immediately one day and never show up.
Try minoxidil alone for 6 months i would say from my experience that's the point you can evaluate your progress and future regrowth, I think your baseline pics are really good and I think you will cover this area with no problem just use it consistently twice a day ;)

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinning for 30 years and still not bald? Man you giving a brother hope out here, i'm thinning at 22 and everyday I wonder how long I have left. What is your story?
Genetics, maybe...My older brother has a full head of hair at 60. My younger brother is slick bald on the crown at 50. I'm in the middle... I started doing SOMETHING about it ten years ago...Rogain and Saw Paw. Keeping my hair short. Vitamins...EVERYONE has shot at this... Never give up.

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been dealing with sebborheic dermatitis for over 2 years which has caused my hair to diffuse in different areas. One of the areas heavily impacted has been my crown. I just started my minoxidil journey 2 weeks ago. Surprisingly my hair loss has slowed down completely eversince i started to apply minoxidil which is very uncommon as I have read that you shed alot initially. Does anyone know why?

I have attached a current picture. Is there any hope?

Cheers,
Happy holidays!

From that pic you have a totally normal crown with either zero or very minimal hair loss.