How bad is it when people say they have excessive shedding

steve89

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am experience a lot of shedding at the moment,

When people say that they are experience aggressive excessive shedding, how much are we talking?

How many hairs would you have on your hands after shampooing? How many hairs if you pull at your hair?

Cheers Guys

shreyaskini

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When i had shedding i used to see about 20-25 hairs while shampooing and in the towel about 15. Still don't think it was aggressive. Some people see more than 50. How much are you seeing?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
before treatment, my pillow would get caked with hairs to the point where I would need to wash my pillow case once a week, to avoid hairs from getting in my mouth and scratching my nose constantly (this is regardless of where I put my head on my pillow, the whole thing was caked)

If I wore white shirts by the end of the day there would be numerous hairs all over the shoulders

I could rub my head over the sink and easily get 100 if not 200 hairs to come out by scratching my scalp for just 5-10 seconds

steve89

Reaction score
treatment, my pillow would get caked with hairs to the point where I would need to wash my pillow case once a week, to avoid hairs from getting in my mouth and scratching my nose constantly (this is regardless of where I put my head on my pillow, the whole thing was caked)

If I wore white shirts by the end of the day there would be numerous hairs all over the shoulders

I could rub my head over the sink and easily get 100 if not 200 hairs to come out by scratching my scalp for just 5-10 seconds

Oh god no mine is nothing like that, that sounds like an awful lot. I would say I lose around 40 in the shower. Ill always get a few when i pull at my hair too, mainly ontop now, around the back it seems to have calmed down a bit? Any idea why this would happen?

- - - Updated - - -

As for the pillow, ill change my pillow case to a white one tonight, see if i can see many. Last time i looked there must only have been around 10 hairs. Long hairs

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
treatment, my pillow would get caked with hairs to the point where I would need to wash my pillow case once a week, to avoid hairs from getting in my mouth and scratching my nose constantly (this is regardless of where I put my head on my pillow, the whole thing was caked)

Still amazees me how you got on dutasteride and RU, saved yourself from being a complete NW7. Basically what would have been a future exodus.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say I lose around 40 in the shower. Ill always get a few when i pull at my hair too, mainly ontop now, around the back it seems to have calmed down a bit? Any idea why this would happen?

sounds like male pattern baldness

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
I lose approximately 25 in the shower. After showering I do not towel dry, I let it air dry. I then run a comb through it and lose an additional 30 to 40 hairs. I don't really see many hairs on the pillow. I check once every few days and see like 7. I also don't notice any falling throughout the day. Sometimes I look in the mirror and see a stray hair sort of springing out as if it's loose. I pull on it, and sure enough it's still attached to my head. So I'd estimate the hair loss I'm aware of is ~60-70 hairs a day.

To me this is excessive. I never noticed any prior to last year.

steve89

Reaction score
I lose approximately 25 in the shower. After showering I do not towel dry, I let it air dry. I then run a comb through it and lose an additional 30 to 40 hairs. I don't really see many hairs on the pillow. I check once every few days and see like 7. I also don't notice any falling throughout the day. Sometimes I look in the mirror and see a stray hair sort of springing out as if it's loose. I pull on it, and sure enough it's still attached to my head. So I'd estimate the hair loss I'm aware of is ~60-70 hairs a day.

To me this is excessive. I never noticed any prior to last year.

That sounds exactly the same as me. Are you doing anything about it? Fina?

Stephen788

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am only losing my hair on the front area at this moment so have been applying min in the middle part between the temples only. I can brush my hands through the top, back and sides and maybe get 1-2 hairs. I went through a stage in the first month where if I ran my hands through the front id maybe get 25-50 hairs. I reckon every morning I was losing 30-70 hairs inbetween my temple areas. It has since recovered but I did have a noticable bald area for a while.

Dikek

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what I see every time i dry my hairs, but this is only half of my basin, so another 25-30 in the other half?
I never count the hairs i lose while I wash, guess I lose the same number

I wash my head every two days

Attachments

• IMG_20141231_122640.jpg
    IMG_20141231_122640.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 492

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My pattern varies. I used to lose more during drying process than shower. Now, it's the opposite. Maybe 30-40 during shower, 20-30 during drying, and at least 15 throughout the day. I do not lose much on the pillow though.

red_man

Reaction score
I'm not in any regimen and I shed like 15 times more than you had there on that picture. I started minoxidil and I'm afraid of the shedding phase as hell.

Dikek

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think you are possible shedding more then me in that picture, that was half of pic, only when i dried my hairs, that were at least 60 and another 50 while shampoo and i don't know how many during the day, i'm going bald really fast in the last 6 months so the only way you can possibly shed more is thx minoxidil or a telegen effluvium

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
before treatment, my pillow would get caked with hairs to the point where I would need to wash my pillow case once a week, to avoid hairs from getting in my mouth and scratching my nose constantly (this is regardless of where I put my head on my pillow, the whole thing was caked)

That is so much like my male pattern baldness before I started any legitimate treatments. You're just living your life and hair is going everywhere with whatever you're doing.

Last edited:

Rumbo4

Reaction score
Hair

I lose around 20-30 hairs in the shower. This just started recently. Im not sure if its from stress. Also this morning for the first time in tugging I pulled an average of 1 hair and one 3 hairs equaling around 15 hairs. Didn't shower the day before though. Is that male pattern baldness? Im so scared of shedding I been on rogaine on my temples for 6 months and recently started in front hair line. Never had any problems and yes some success in it

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I lose around 20-30 hairs in the shower. This just started recently. Im not sure if its from stress. Also this morning for the first time in tugging I pulled an average of 1 hair and one 3 hairs equaling around 15 hairs. Didn't shower the day before though. Is that male pattern baldness? Im so scared of shedding I been on rogaine on my temples for 6 months and recently started in front hair line. Never had any problems and yes some success in it

If you're losing hair, it's most likely Androgenic Alopecia. I suggest that you go make an appointment with a hair transplant surgeon to get a diagnosis whether you have it or not. Finasteride is going to be your #1 treatment for male pattern baldness if you have it, and have them write you a prescription for the medication if you do have the genetic condition.

saurabh.khare1000

Reaction score
Hi, First Post

Hi guys,

(Excuse my English please)

First post here. Wasn't sure where to post since I'm not allowed to start a thread. This thread seemed to be the most relevant to the question I have, so here goes.

25 male here. Experiencing shedding, diffuse thinning, temple recession and seborrheic dermatitis since the last 2 - 2.5 years. I probably lose around 20-30 hair, maybe more everyday. The frontal hairline is intact. The temples have receded a lot though. Its not an oval shaped recede as I have seen with many but a more steep/acute V shaped one. I can still feel a bunch of vellus hair in the V, so its not completely bald. On the top I have diffuse thinning, like density reduced by 20% from what it was 2 years back.
My question is, considering I have male pattern baldness, whether every single hair that I see falling out/lose is lost permanently, especially from the temporal region? Sorry for sounding so flustered but I hope you guys can best understand the stress I'm going through.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hello Saurabh.khare1000,

First off are you taking finasteride(propecia) and/or minoxidil, and why not? Without proper treatment all male pattern baldness sufferers will eventually lose their hair (affected region) permanently. At what rate will generally vary from person to person. How soon? Hard to determine for this greatly depends whether your male pattern baldness is aggressive or not. Seek medical attention soon so you can at least try to retard male pattern baldness progression and preserve hair not yet affected. Best of luck.