how bad is alcohol when your weight training?

houstonian

Reaction score
I been weight lifting for 1 year and eat very healthy but occasionaly In the weekends after all the studying from college and work very hard I drink like a sailor. I just wanted to know how bad does alchohol affect your muscle?

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
I use to to drink a lot myself before untill I realize how alchohol plays a negative affect in your muscle. Alchohol is empty calories and it doesnt have nutrients but does have a caloric value of 7 calories per gram.
Not only will the high calorie content of alcohol have a negative effect on your total calorie intake, but it also slows down your metabolism.
Alcohol consumption also hurts muscle growth. Not only due to hangovers lowering your workout intensity, but it actually lowers protein synthesis by 20%. Twenty percent! There are several reasons why it does this. For one, it dehydrates your muscle cells. As many know, hydrated and even over hydrated muscles (like when you take creatine) allows for a much higher anabolic environment.

Because your cells aren't holding as much water, it becomes much harder to build muscle. The second reason why alcohol can severely hurt muscle growth is because it blocks the absorption of many important nutrients that are key to muscle contraction, relaxation and growth including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and potassium. Alcohol also slows down protein synthesis.

Another big factor alcohol lowers testosterone and increase estrogen. Alcohol has also been shown to cause a quicker aromatization of androgens into estrogens, which would explain why heavy drinkers often get gynecomastria over a period of time.

Its alright to drink alcohol but just keep it in moderation and not binge drinking. I know it will probably be hard to do since your in college and have a lot parties to attend to.

CCS

Reaction score
don't drink at parties. Just talk to the women instead. if they don't go for you, it is not your lack of drink, but your muscles or face that is the reason. The only reason they'd want you to drink is so you focus on that and stop hitting on them if they don't like you. I don't even go to parties, at least not till I get a little more muscle on my arms.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Just talk to the women instead. if they don't go for you, it is not your lack of drink, but your muscles or face that is the reason.

No. In your case, it's that you're creepy...the way you talk, the way you think, the way you act, the way you make assumptions that something's there when it's not, and the way you desperately pester, making yourself a nuisance to a grotesque degree. All of this at age 27, the old misplaced pervert in the group. No amount of muscle or good looks is going to help you.

I don't even go to parties, at least not till I get a little more muscle on my arms.

100% waste of time for both you and the girls you hope to target. Until you change what needs to be changed you will continue to be received like a turd in a swimming pool.

CCS

Reaction score
no they treat me like a turd because I smell like one. Fixing my gas problem is one of my other goals. It is all physical I tell ya.

houstonian

Reaction score
Holy crap I didnt know how alcohol could do so much damage in weight trainin, I'm going to stop drinking but not till next year. LOL Thanks for the help..

Reaction score
muaythai got it pretty much on the money.
basically drinking negates a good work out.
that being said, it's impossible to not drink if you're in high school or college (i'm assuming?). you just have to drink in moderate amounts.

CCS

Reaction score
I don't drink. easy. that makes some people feel uncomfortable around me though.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Everything in moderation except anything hydrogenated. A few drinks a week are perfectly fine. I just wouldn't workout while under the influence for a number of different reasons, including performance, endurance, and safety.

CCS

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Everything in moderation except anything hydrogenated. A few drinks a week are perfectly fine. I just wouldn't workout while under the influence for a number of different reasons, including performance, endurance, and safety.

very true. have a beer or two each week, or get a buzz every other week. avoid transfat like the plague.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Look there's nothing wrong with enjoying life. Drinking 5/6 beers at a party or every friday/saturday night will not ruin your physique if you live healthy for the rest of the time. Unless you are a pro bodybuilder training for the olympia having a good night out is far more important than a workout session.
How much fun is CCS having at these parties with his OJ in hand whilst everyone else is getting drunk and doing stuff they should'nt. Trust me he'll look back and realise that he should have joined in.
You're only young once dont waste it enjoy life and dont worry about a few drinks.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
Speaking of parties I had many pints of guiness yesterday, its hard to to drink one or two gotta have 6 or 7. But as long you don't excessively drink everyday then you should be okay.

bald30

Reaction score
Guiness? You either are a hardcore drinker or your irish? The beer is just pure nasty but then again the first time I had beer it tasted gross. My favorite is heinekeen or shiners bock ,guiness would probably be my last option.

docj077

Reaction score
As long as you're not using steriods while you're binge drinking (which, I'm assuming that you're not). You're still going to affect your recovery time, but using steroids while drinking large amounts of alcohol is just about the dumbest thing that you can do. In fact, it comes in second...right behind taking acetaminophen for your hang-over the day after a night of drinking. If you love your liver, then you won't do either of the above.

CCS

Reaction score
docj077 said:
As long as you're not using steriods while you're binge drinking (which, I'm assuming that you're not). You're still going to affect your recovery time, but using steroids while drinking large amounts of alcohol is just about the dumbest thing that you can do. In fact, it comes in second...right behind taking acetaminophen for your hang-over the day after a night of drinking. If you love your liver, then you won't do either of the above.

And I actually feel like drinking beer tonight. I have a six pack of miller light in the fridge. But I did a really good workout today, breaking some PR's, and took my epistane. So I guess I'll have to do it sober this Saturday night.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
And I actually feel like drinking beer tonight. I have a six pack of miller light in the fridge. But I did a really good workout today, breaking some PR's, and took my epistane. So I guess I'll have to do it sober this Saturday night.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of purposeful dedication. That's the only way to truly change your particular body-type. Just don't become obsessed and go overboard. I've met plenty of guys who after a year become fat and lazy blobs. They practically give away their gym equipment, powders and supplements. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:

I'd rather take enteric coated asprin for inflammation. Acetaminophen is bad news in general. Most people don't realize the potential for toxicity, while popping their ibuprofen and barbiturates.

Reaction score
bald30 said:
Guiness? You either are a hardcore drinker or your irish? The beer is just pure nasty but then again the first time I had beer it tasted gross. My favorite is heinekeen or shiners bock ,guiness would probably be my last option.

Although Guiness is a lot more rich and thick than other beers, it is definitely not a nasty/gross beer. It's damn good man!

docj077

Reaction score
GonnaBeatHairLoss said:
bald30 said:

Although Guiness is a lot more rich and thick than other beers, it is definitely not a nasty/gross beer. It's damn good man!

Guinness is indeed one of the best beers around. Better than that watered down crap that most people drink (Bud Light, Miller Light, Hams, Keystone, Coors, etc). If I can't get a Guinnes at a bar, then I try for Boulevard. Then, if I can't get that, then I settle for a Heiniken or a Sam Adams. I prefer having a beer that actually has some substance to it.

There are a few breweries around the state I live in, so it's always nice to get some local beers, as well.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Alcohol also breaks down muscle tissues. Gives you that nice undefined soft look. :shock: