how are you dealing with gray hair?

dino247

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a longtime hairwearer (more than half my life) in my early 50's, and I am generally doing really well with hairwearing. I wear full caps, because my sides and nape became way too thin for a topper. I have been ordering gradually increasing percentages of gray hair. But I am still only up to 25% gray. I order synthetic gray, and 25% gray doesn't seem like much gray hair. So I increase the percent a little each order. I am also unsure if the synthetic gray looks totally natural---which is another reason I don't order much more gray hair. I never tried human gray, which supposedly looks more natural, but then turns yellowish and you can't color the system without coloring the gray hair. How are you dealing with the issue of gray hair (synthetic vs natural, what percent, etc.) ---for those of you who are getting up there in age?

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad uses 50/50. 50% synthetic and 50% human hair gray. I don't have gray yet so not too too sure how it feels, but based on the look of it, it looks great and my dad loves it ! Only one thing is, I don't think any supplier has stock units with that, and custom order is a bit long. You can check with your supplier if they can do that. We had to wait for a few months until the unit was sent to us.

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Grey hair makes you look older. Others will rattle on about how your system must be age appropriate. And how grey hair can look more distinguished. I've never subscribed to any of that.
One of the benefits of wearing a full cap is you can manage the amount of grey you have, or not have, depending on your preference. 20% synthetic grey on human hair lace 1B wig looks good. If you want to use your own sideburns then dye them to match, or simply coat them with a hair stick each morning, same with a beard or stubble. Easy as.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know what you look like but if you have pretty young skin I'd try to avoid the gray for as long as possible. At 54 I'm not going gray yet but I am lucky on the face as with my system most people who don't know/don't know me well think I'm in my late 30s or so....

Fanjeera

Reaction score
If I'd want to color the gray of my own hair, how should I do it? Is it possible DIY?

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen older men with no grey in their pieces and it always looks odd. I greyed early in life and don't mind it, and it certainly makes blending much easier.

It just depends on what your after, I have only a hairline piece and if I was wearing something larger like a topper I'd probably have less grey, its just another one of those things that comes down to personnel circumstances and what you want to achieve by wearing.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can colored conditioners do the job of painting bio gray dark?

Yes, Back2Natural can do that on bio hair. It doesn't last as long as permanent or semi-permanent dye, though, but it works depending on how much grey hair you have.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It washes out...

It does, but its ok if you don't wash your bio hair TOO often, and you can apply a bit more Back2Natural to bio hair (and the hair system) at each attachment or as and when needed. It works for me because most of my bio hair is covered up by my hair system anyway, and I only wash it once every week or 2 (I use a bit of dry shampoo in between to keep it refreshed).

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Grey hair makes you look older...
How old do you think I am?.. I stopped fiddling with coloring and trying hiding Grey hair and embraced Grey hair awhile ago...no regrets.
I'm my area, many are wearing grey.. I even see younger folk bleaching their hair and dyeing it white, silver or blueish grey ( this is 1b80 BTW)

Attachments

• 20211229_220102.jpg
    20211229_220102.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 143

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How old do you think I am?.. I stopped fiddling with coloring and trying hiding Grey hair and embraced Grey hair awhile ago...no regrets.
I'm my area, many are wearing grey.. I even see younger folk bleaching their hair and dyeing it white, silver or blueish grey ( this is 1b80 BTW)
Is that you ? The hair system seems to say: Look, Here I am.
a) you can see the edge even on this low resolution picture and b) hard to say but no people I´ve ever seen, even celebrities, have this kind of fountain on their head.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is that you ? The hair system seems to say: Look, Here I am.
a) you can see the edge even on this low resolution picture and b) hard to say but no people I´ve ever seen, even celebrities, have this kind of fountain on their head.
Yes it's me. The intent of my post was to demystify the grey hair myth which is associated with being old... That's all...

I am not asking for anyone's opinion on my system. I am secure and confident enough to post my face and hairpiece here, contrary to haters and bullies here... And BTW, i love fountains .. lol

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been colouring my hair since my early 20s (originally just to try different colours), but judging from my roots, my back and sides now seem to be completely white. I need to colour it every ten day, so I've been thinking about just growing it out and getting a corresponding system. Even just a couple millimetres of white root growth is enough to ruin the blend with a #6 hair system, so it would be one less thing to worry about.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I'm embracing my gray as well. The hassle and toxicity of dying my hair forever sounds terrible. Plus, a lot of people can tell when you dye your hair and it's seen as douchey for men. If you are fit, successful and have your hair, gray is seen as sexy and sophisticated by women of ALL ages...I'm living proof.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have a longer hair system or wear a full cap, grey hair is less of an issue since a hair system doesn't turn grey (unless you choose it to be that colour), and with a longer partial system you can cover it over your grey hair (though it'll still need to be dyed). Also, a hair system dyed by a factory looks much more natural in colour than bio hair that's been dyed, in my opinion.

Whether you are in the camp of 'grey hair makes you look older and I must dye my grey hair to disguise it at all costs' or 'letting hair go grey is dignified, it's vain to dye hair as a middle aged/older man', is up to you to decide. I'm all for looking as young as possible for as long as I possibly can, which is one of the main reasons I started wearing a hair system in the first place, so I don't want any grey hair at all. I'm in a rock band, and I'm also a single guy, want to play the field and get women as young as possible for as long as I can. If makes me seem 'vain', I could not care less. Fact is, I look younger with a hair system and no grey hair showing. I also think if you're a married guy or settled in a long term relationship, you might be more likely to embrace grey hair than if you're a single guy playing the field. But then again, if you're willing to 'grow old gracefully', why even wear a hair system in the first place, why not just embrace losing your hair?

That's not to say that some men don't look amazing with grey hair - many men look great and very attractive to women (or men, as the case may be....) with grey hair.

I wear a long hair system (10 - 12 inches), which covers my balding/shaved area on top and goes over the bio hair on my back and sides. This mostly covers my greying bio hair, which is medium brown. The hair system is already dyed medium brown so I don't need to worry about that - I just put some Back2Natural on it to restore any colour loss from exposure to sunlight.

My bio hair is slightly greying, but I normally put Back2Natural in it and don't rinse it out, which works fine and allows me to have an exact/close colour match between my bio hair and hair system. I don't wash usually my hair system or bio hair with water in between attachments, so I have no worry about the Back2Natural washing out. I sometimes use a bit of dry shampoo to refresh my bio hair, though, and if it does need washing with water between attachments I just use a bit more Back2Natural to make up for it. Also, because the hair system covers my bio hair, any grey hair that might be showing is somewhat covered up.

It's much harder to cover grey hair if you have if you have a short bio hair and a short hair system, as the grey hair is more exposed. There are many advantages to a longer hair system in fact (though they aren't to everyone's taste) - you can cover the edges more easily, you don't need to worry about colour matching or blending so much, and to length and density can covered up blemishes on the system , especially on the hairline or parting by restyling. Some people might thing a longer hair system is more likely to look 'wiggy', but not so! But I digress - I know this thread is about grey hair.

Last edited: