How are bald men treated in Asia?

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm moving to South Korea next month to make some good money and I read that baldness is much more of an issue over there. I currently buzz my head (going to try a complete shave in a couple of days) so I will be classed as a bald man. Do you have any experiences of how bald men are treated in Asia, or more specifically South Korea?

I've been wondering if they will just think I'm a Buddhist.

Boondock

Reaction score
In South Korea, apparently quite badly. But I don't really know; haven't been there.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
You'll need to report us.
I don't think it would be very different from any other Western country, Asian countries are know to have no concept of political correctness, that would be the only real difference. Besides some hurtful comments I guess if you feel some animosity it would be easier to explain as just caused by your ethnic origin and not because your lack of hair.

Now, try to be Black in an Asian country...

Boondock

Reaction score
bigentries said:
Now, try to be Black in an Asian country...

Now this is the crucial point really. Your baldness will pale in comparison to the treatment you'd get as a black in most of these countries. Even in rural parts of Europe, one of my black friends has been pointed at and laughed at (literally, an old woman just stopped what she was doing and laughed her *** off).

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
toocoolforhair said:
I'm moving to South Korea next month to make some good money and I read that baldness is much more of an issue over there. I currently buzz my head (going to try a complete shave in a couple of days) so I will be classed as a bald man. Do you have any experiences of how bald men are treated in Asia, or more specifically South Korea?

I've been wondering if they will just think I'm a Buddhist.
Caucasian bald men should be ok in South Korea. It's not that big of an issue for white men because people think of them as a superior race.. if you are Asian and bald however, forget about getting girls there. It's simply not happening.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
Keeping the topic alive.
Didn't one South Korean player had a blade shaved head in the World Cup?

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
seaback said:
if you are Asian and bald however, forget about getting girls there. It's simply not happening.

This is not true at all ! Plenty of bald Asian dudes are dating hot chicks.
There will be exceptions, of course, but balding Korean men have severe disadvantage in Korean culture..

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
bigentries said:
Keeping the topic alive.
Didn't one South Korean player had a blade shaved head in the World Cup?
That would be Cha Du Ri, he shaves his head but he is NW0.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Asians have a very traditional culture, homogenized and discourages individuality (maybe except for Japan). Everyone looks and tries to be the same, which makes the effects of being different much more amplified. I'm curious to see how you do over there. Make no mistake of it, there will be more people starring at you than you are probably used to... you may even begin to understand how I feel when I am out in public without a hat. Let us know how it goes 2cool.

nerdwood

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Make no mistake of it, there will be more people starring at you than you are probably used to... you may even begin to understand how I feel when I am out in public without a hat.

Here we go again.... :shakehead:

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
really if they were to play the bald card with you, you can always play the penis card. white men in aisa have the same social status as black men in western worlds as being "well hung"

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroheat said:
It's not that big of an issue for white men because people think of them as a superior race...

Dream on, white boy. Maybe in Japan a decade ago, but not anymore and certainly not in South Korea.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
eXVee said:
zeroheat said:
It's not that big of an issue for white men because people think of them as a superior race...

Dream on, white boy. Maybe in Japan a decade ago, but not anymore and certainly not in South Korea.

Funny thing is, the guy is actually Asian (racially), I'm not sure where he's from.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
FSHGLD said:
Funny thing is, the guy is actually Asian (racially), I'm not sure where he's from.
I'm South Korean, lived in South Korea for 20 years, about to return after getting my education in Canada. I think I have met enough Korean people/experienced enough Korean culture to comment on this issue lol..

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool. Looks like you've learnt English pretty well whatever about anything else.
Why would white people be considered as a superior race though? Obviously I'd be lying if I said that I've never noticed that Asian women are somewhat attracted to white guys, but I find it hard to believe that the Korean population in general consider white people as a 'superior race'.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
FSHGLD said:
Cool. Looks like you've learnt English pretty well whatever about anything else.
Why would white people be considered as a superior race though? Obviously I'd be lying if I said that I've never noticed that Asian women are somewhat attracted to white guys, but I find it hard to believe that the Korean population in general consider white people as a 'superior race'.
To be honest I don't know exactly why, but if you are white + speak English, then you are treated very well in Korea. Obviously this is not the case for Asians living in North America, but Korean people who've never left the country have a fantasy about North Americans and English etc. The whole country is absolutely crazy about English. Girls at clubs throw themselves at you if you are a Caucasian male.

Take a look at these famous photos I've attached.. it's pretty comical but it's the reality in Korea. Easy jobs (as an English teacher) and easy girls. That's how it is. I have absolutely no reason to lie about this issue, why would I? I have nothing to gain.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,307

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I knew a guy back at UCLA with thinning blond hair who go tons of Korean poontang. He got a job over there and never came back- it was that good!

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how women view me over there, especially with a shaved head. I wouldn't mind being that English teacher at all.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You don't look like Owen Wilson there but I think you will do OK.

ineedmyhair

Reaction score
Lived in Hong Kong more than 16 years. I have seen plenty of young and pretty girls go with Bald ugly old white men. Just last year, I visited hk during my summer break, a bald old fat white man was asking a Hong Kong girl for her number on the subway and the girl just gave her number and was like :) :) :) and then looked cocky (like a victory smile to other girls since she got asked by a white man lol). Hell, if a hk guy was asking for her number, he better be damn handsome or look rich otherwise the girl wouldn't even give a f***... If you're white, then you will be fine in most Asian country even if you're bald I think...Just go to a club or bar, I am sure you can get laid, sir.