Houston we have lift off!

Bladzz30

Reaction score
After numerous requests I decided to post my story under the success forum. I hope it inspires everyone to defy Mother Nature.

My story
I started losing my hair around 20. Started propecia at 23 which held up well for 5 years. Then MN imposed her will and the loss continued. I was trying every "what I call knockoff" product on the market [avacor, hair genesis, scalpmed, etc.] nothing more then glorified overpriced Minoxidil. The loss continued and so did my hope. Finally I buckled down and started the Big 3, thanks to HairlossTalk!

Now
After 14 months it is apparent that there is hope. To the best of my abilities I took pictures with the same hair length, style, camera, light. Although I think in the Aug06 picture my hair is a little longer, so I'll plead the 5th and blame my barber! I have to admit the results have made me a believer. The crown is still a tad thin, but it's hardly noticeable under normal light. I'm going to continue my regimen and concentrate on the crown. dutasteride .5mg everynight; minoxidil 5% morning & night; nizoral 2% Monday & Friday ~ $50\month.

Without further ado......
TopLeft Jun05; TopRight Jan06; BottomLeft Mar06; BottomRight Aug06.
[/img]

Best of Luck to Everyone!

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow! great results man!

so this improvement was after u had already used propecia for 5 years and then got on the big 3?

Bladzz30

Reaction score
Yep.
Propecia lost it's effectiveness after 5 years. My guess is my body became accustom to propecia and started compensating by converting more type 2 DHT. finasteride only blocks type 1 DHT. dutasteride blocks both types of DHT [I’m not a doctor, but this is the layman’s gist of dutasteride vs finasteride]. That’s when I started the Big 3 with dutasteride leading the way. This coupled with my extreme consistent approach I believe has yielded my results.
I haven’t experienced side effects with either so I couldn’t tell yah to go with one or the other. Start with finasteride, and if doesn’t at the bare minimum maintain your hair then look into dutasteride.
Thanks for the positive feedback, and good luck!

G

Bladzz30 said:
finasteride only blocks type 1 DHT. dutasteride blocks both types of DHT [I’m not a doctor, but this is the layman’s gist of dutasteride vs finasteride].

You have it reversed. finasteride blocks the conversion of only type 2 DHT, not type 1 at all. but dutasteride can block both.

great results

Bladzz30

Reaction score
Thanks JayMan,

It’s been a while since I’ve delved into the chemistry behind the madness;~) In all seriousness, the Jun05 picture was about 1 1\2 years after I notice finasteride stopped working. So in all actuality its probably 2-2 1\2 years after finasteride really stopped working. I just figured finasteride would work forever so I stopped scrutinizing my hair. By the time I noticed, it was well into dormant land. I’m pretty certain I read that finasteride does diminish after a period of time so be aware. I hope dutasteride doesn’t have a drop off period. The way I figure, if this does happen at least I won’t have any prostate problems!

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
nice, this is my plan to, start finasteride, then after 5 years use duts, i hope HM will come out by then ... :hairy:

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair looks good, but I think it looks better because it's longer and grown out more. It looks better at that length than a buzz cut. More people should try that length instead of the buzz. My hair always looks better too grown out more than buzzed

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
So in all actuality its probably 2-2 1\2 years after finasteride really stopped working. I just figured finasteride would work forever so I stopped scrutinizing my hair. By the time I noticed, it was well into dormant land.
It was too late for me as well. Propecia stopped working for me after 8 years and I went through a huge hair loss. Who knows how the propecia has had been ineffective. I started on minoxidil and dutas is on its way here. Hopefully, I can get back what I have lost. Thanks for the pics Bladzz30. Looks great!

SHORTHAIR

Reaction score
what is dutasteride ? im on finasteride proscar my ins payes for it im willing to try dutasteride if it blocks both dht

hurricom

Reaction score
question

Quick question . . . I was thinking of getting on propecia, but I've heard that your body eventually becomes immune to it, and it stops working. Is there anything as effective as propecia for maintaining hair that doesn't lose its effectiveness over time?