Horsetail?

G

Safety Issues
Noticeable side effects from standard dosages of horsetail tea are rare. However, horsetail contains an enzyme that damages vitamin B1 (thiamin) and has caused severe illness and even death in livestock that consumed too much of it.4 In Canada, horsetail products are required to undergo heating or other forms of processing to inactivate this harmful constituent.

Also, perhaps because horsetail contains low levels of nicotine, children have been known to become seriously ill from using the branches as blow guns.5 This plant can also concentrate toxic metals present in its environment.

For all of the above reasons, horsetail is not recommended for young children, pregnant or nursing women, or those with severe kidney or liver disease.

Individuals taking the medication lithium should use herbal diuretics such as horsetail only under the supervision of a physician, as becoming dehydrated while taking this medication can be dangerous.6

Horsetail may also cause loss of potassium, which may be dangerous for people taking drugs in the digitalis family.7,8

I didnt read the side effects bit properly before. Yikes!

wheresmyhair

Reaction score
Stinger...I was checking out the puritan site hell cheap man, but it says it can take more than a month for delivery! Whens the last u ordered, how long did it take and did u have to pay any customs on the stuff???

...and zimmy with the amount of sh*t u take Im surpised if u'd notice any side effects, but keep us posted with the the effects I'd like to giv it go....

and one last thing stinger hav u tried the tea??

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
wheresmyhair said:
Stinger...I was checking out the puritan site hell cheap man, but it says it can take more than a month for delivery! Whens the last u ordered, how long did it take and did u have to pay any customs on the stuff???

...and zimmy with the amount of sh*t u take Im surpised if u'd notice any side effects, but keep us posted with the the effects I'd like to giv it go....

and one last thing stinger hav u tried the tea??

Hey wheres my hair, it took about 3 weeks for delivery each time I have ordered from them.. I know it sounds like a long time but they recently changed their mail deliverer and they said goods will sometimes arrive faster. Im waiting for my order of beta sterols and it has been nearly a week, 5 days so far.

I have never had a customs charge and I have ordered 3 times from them, so I think your safe :)

And nope iv never tried the tea(Judging from the capsules I wouldnt want to :p), but I would recommend you trying Gree tea, look on the puritans pride website they have green tea that comes in all sorts of flavours.. I love the tropical one!

Puritans pride is cheap, im glad I found it! Delivery is real cheap though as well, its well worth it mate I would order from there for sure.

Hope thats of some help mate, take care! An more questions ask away :p

G

Stinger i got my stuff from Puritans Pride today, MSM, Arginine, Biotin and Horsetail, took just under 3 weeks. Not too bad at all. :)

So are you taking Horsetail at 440mg a day? I was maybe going to take that twice a day, but im not sure.

G

wheresmyhair said:
good stuff plenty of UK boyz here...
...I read the thread zimmy and i like my regimen natural but did u read the side effects for horsetail????
make sure u drink plenty of water before bed or u might not wake up!
any side effects 2 speak of stinger??

LOL. So i took 2 Horsetail tablets yesterday and damm did i feel really thirsty during last night. I think ill take only 1 tablet daily from now on. Anybody else had a dehydrated feeling from Horsetail?

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes I have felt dehydrated cause of horsetail, man does it really make you thirsty or what :O

I think even taking one tablet a day will make you thirsty! Just make sure you drink lots of water (Which you should be anyway) :p

G

Sorry to butt in guys, but I just wanted to say that I take this brand of Silica http://www.enkueros.net/726899597871.html twice daily and I have no feelings of dehydration.

The only thing is that it smells awful, like dirt or really strong coffee covered in dirt, :lol:

Laura

G

HerAlopecia said:
Sorry to butt in guys, but I just wanted to say that I take this brand of Silica http://www.enkueros.net/726899597871.html twice daily and I have no feelings of dehydration.

The only thing is that it smells awful, like dirt or really strong coffee covered in dirt, :lol:

Laura

Thank you Laura I might try it out. So is Silica pretty much the same thing as normal Horsetail?

About Silica:

WORLD ORGANIC SILICA 500 100% VEGETAL SILICA 100 TB

Horsetail (Equisetum Hippocastanum) helps facilitate calcium in the body and has a high silica content. Silica is primarily used to help heal broken bones, arthritis, kidney and urinary tract disorders, hair loss and is considered a natural diuretic and astringent.

Directions: As a nutritional supplement take two (2) or three (3) tablets daily, or as directed by your healthcare professional. This horsetail herb is micromilled and water treated to retain its natural nutrients (including flavonoids) to facilitate its utilization by the body.

Ingredients: Springtime Horsetail (equisetium) with a minimum guaranteed potency of 50-55 mg Silica (minimum 10%).

Heres another link for Silica.

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?x ... D=389&np=0

G

Hey Zimmy,

Silica and Horsetail are different. Horsetail has a large amount of silica in it, therefore supplements are derived from Horsetail.

Food sources of silica include grain husks, barley, millet, oats, and rice, and green vegetables, such as artichokes, asparagus, beets, and bell peppers. Sunflower seeds are another source of silica.

The brand of silica/horsetail that I am taking has a higher amount of actual silica in it, but just barely (10% vs. your Puritan Pride's 7%).

Hope this helps a little.

Laura

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone still eating horses tails?