Horrible Rogaine Experience

mrnicegy30

Reaction score
I had some diffuse thinning and what I thought was the beginning of male pattern baldness, so I decided to use rogaine before the situation got worse. The drug is advertised at being able to slow down the balding process, and that it is better to start it to keep your hair than to regrow it. Also, they say that if you stop Rogaine, you will go back to where you were before you started it. I think that is absolute BS...

I used it about 7 times on my hairline and crown, and all that happened was a drastic receding of my hairline, loss of hair at the temples, and a development of thinning on the crown/vertex where there was none before. Also, my healthy hair in many areas has been replaced by patches of short, dry, coarse hairs. I keep waiting for my old hair to return, but it's been about a year now with no change.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks for listening.

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the initial shed. I had the same experience, as do many. you need to wait that through because i started gaining all kinds of new hair.rogaine is something you need to stick with.

Norwood3McGee

Reaction score
Come on! You only used 7 applications? That's way too early for it to have any effect on your hair other than making cosmetically bad looking (greasy).

I'd give it another shot. I've been using minoxidil for almost a year now and it's had it's ups and downs but I've most definately benefitted from it's use.

Give it time bro.

mrnicegy30

Reaction score
Well, whether you think it was too early or not doesn't matter, it happened. How could I continue to use it when it damaged the hair so much?

If it was the initial shed, then why didn't any of it come back when I stopped?

Bottom line is, I never should have tried it in the first place, and I don't understand how it helps people. I believe that the 2 major assertions which caused me to try it
1) If you stop Rogaine, you return to where you would have been had you never used it and
2) Rogaine either regrows hair or slows down hairloss

are complete BS and part of a marketing scam.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
mrnicegy30 said:
Well, whether you think it was too early or not doesn't matter, it happened. How could I continue to use it when it damaged the hair so much?

Bottom line is, I never should have tried it in the first place, and I don't understand how it helps people. I believe that the 2 major assertions which caused me to try it
1) If you stop Rogaine, you return to where you would have been had you never used it and

are you really a mrniceguy? doesn't sound like it.

but besides that, did you grow your a head of hair within a few days? from what I understand hair only grows half an inch each month. maybe your case it's different that you grow hair almost instantly. Or did you seen the animation they had on hair regrowth process and that you thought that your hair was suppose to grow as fast as it did in the animation?

Yeah its complete BS. I say you stop using it since it doesn't grow as fast as a chia pet and see where that gets you.

Sorry for the negativity. It's been a bad day.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
mrnicegy30 said:

wow you have it all figured out.

mrnicegy30

Reaction score
Is that supposed to be sarcasm?

No, I didn't grow any hair, that's the whole point. There was only enough time for it to burn for weeks after I stopped using it and cause hair to fall out. I'm left with a receding hairline and recession at the temples, both of which happened during the few days I took this so called hair growth drug.

It turned hair all over the top of my head from healthy hairs to short, coarse, dry hairs. I have intense thinning on the crown and the vertex, which I had none of before using Minoxidil. I'm just trying to warn people to be careful of rogaine. It obviously works for some people, but it can also be destructive, and people should be aware of the risks.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mrnicegy30 said:
Is that supposed to be sarcasm?

No, I didn't grow any hair, that's the whole point. There was only enough time for it to burn for weeks after I stopped using it and cause hair to fall out. I'm left with a receding hairline and recession at the temples, both of which happened during the few days I took this so called hair growth drug.

It turned hair all over the top of my head from healthy hairs to short, coarse, dry hairs. I have intense thinning on the crown and the vertex, which I had none of before using Minoxidil. I'm just trying to warn people to be careful of rogaine. It obviously works for some people, but it can also be destructive, and people should be aware of the risks.

Unlike the other guys, I hear ya. It's easy to be happy and self-satisfied when everything goes well with these hairloss products. But it's a lot harder to keep it together when you start losing your hair - or even experience side effects. We've probably all freaked at one time or another over hairloss.

All I can tell you is that minoxidil worked WONDERS for me. Although, there are a good percentage of people for whom these products don't work. For some people, there's even a huge initial shed before they start realizing any regrowth. But you won't know if minoxidil is truly ineffective or effective until you give it at least six months to a year. Good luck on whatever you decide.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mrnicegy30 said:

1)So, i guess if i keep using minoxidil for 10 years, and anyway progress some norwood scales, i just have to quit to get where to I was?
2)In just seven days, even if you applied your stomach acids to your head, even that wouldnt kill your hair.