Hoping for Some Reassurance on Finasteride Shed

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
So a little about me:

I am now 36, and started losing my hair (receding at the temples) around 19 or so, but the receding could easily be covered up when styled properly, and even though my hair loss started early, it really hasn't progressed much at all until the last few years. That was when I had a haircut and while the hairdresser was showing me the back of my head with a mirror I caught a glimpse of scalp. I went home and inspected it in the mirror and realized I was thinning in the crown.

I went to my doctor and he of course gave me a prescription for propecia. I had no idea about how it could cause a shed, so was stunned when after a few months I looked at my reflection to realize that the front of my hair (just passed my hairline) was looking thinner. As I've said I have kept a significant amount of hair, and still have a hairline, but it is receded on the sides, so I can definitely say that I hadn't noticed it before. Also, I wasn't even looking for it, I just noticed that my scalp was looking more evident. My hair is parted throughout the top of my head, and all through the top of my head the area where my hair is parted looks much thinner.

I have read hundreds of posts since noticing this, which has been about a month now, and have read about the "propecia shed" and am assuming that is what it is, but I haven't noticed many speaking of their hair looking thinner on the top of their head, most are just discussing that they notice more hair in the shower, pillow, etc.

So, I wanted to ask if others out there have noticed a shed like mine. I have been wearing a hat all day because I don't want to look up in the mirror to see the current condition of my hair because it really freaks me out.

Anyone else here experience this type of shed?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
A shed on finasteride exists. For the best reassurance check out SE-Freak's story in the Success Forum.

backintime

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else here experience this type of shed?

I have been on finasteride for about 7 weeks and my crown area is significantly worse than when I started (could also be the minoxidil -- who knows). Meanwhile, my hairline is actually looking better...as if all the shorter hairs that would have normally fallen out before progressing past 1/4 inch have instead grown right along with the rest of the hair at my hairline.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post an update here, because I know not many people do.

The thinness of my hair is still there, in fact, it may even be worse now. Every time I look in the mirror in bright or natural light I can see my scalp all too easily, and I was hoping to have some regrowth by now.

I started to notice the thinness at the end of March, which was about a month into my Propecia usage.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post an update here, because I know not many people do.

The thinness of my hair is still there, in fact, it may even be worse now. Every time I look in the mirror in bright or natural light I can see my scalp all too easily, and I was hoping to have some regrowth by now.

I started to notice the thinness at the end of March, which was about a month into my Propecia usage.

I'll keep this thread updated.

General recommendation is to stay at least a year on any treatment to assess how its really working. Stick with it bro

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have read that it can take around 3 to 4 months to get the regrowth, and I'm certainly not entertaining the idea of stopping Propecia. I'll update again in some time, or if I see some results.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear ya buddy, I don't go anywhere without a hat, and I even wear one when I'm alone because it depresses me to see the state of my hair in the mirror.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats sad and funny at the same time.

Well, when your hair goes from being really thick to thin within a month it makes it hard to not be bummed out when I saw my hair in the mirror. At first I was freaked out every time, and couldn't think about anything else, not being able to see it allowed me to think of other things.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're not progressing. I also spend time on the shedding forum lately. I'm at the one year mark and losing 120-150 hairs a day, sometimes more. I don't know what to make of it, but there are a few stories that report the same (e.g. SE-Freak, Douggie, RSR40). I'm trying to be realistic. When we shed a hair today, all it means is that it goes into dormancy and will grow back. We know it will grow back in (almost) any case. The big question is, will it grow back stronger or more feeble and small? Since we are supressing DHT, we are doing all we can right? If we stop treatment now, what then? Hair will grow back too, but it will most likely not enjoy the higher DHT. So I guess we have to ride this out.

That one guy SE-Freak mentioned losing 600+ hairs for some time. That is very drastic. Yet he got wonderful results, almost all of his hair back...
Hang in there, we're in the same boat. Thanks for updating!

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Anyone tried to lower the dose to like every other day?

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I wouldn't want to do that. I'm just waiting for the growth to kick in, and if I lower the dosage it may not happen.

Hmmm reasarch has shown thar taking every other day is as effective as every day

RC.3

Reaction score
Anyone tried to lower the dose to like every other day?

I would also like to know the answer about this. Someone said overdose may make hair thinner and right amount of DHT can promote hair hard and thick. I wonder if this account is tenable.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Seriously? Can you link me to it? I would love to save some money.
I'm on iPhone now, I googled a lot before starting, it says the chimicles dont leave the bloodstream till about 72 hours, that stuff is too strong to be taken every day, no wonder almost anyone shedding when doing it, hormons jump too fast

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously? Can you link me to it? I would love to save some money.

Have you tried Proscar and split it? It is cheap, no reason to lower the dose...