Hope to Encourage

Warrenx

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post so please be gentle :).

Background:

I am writing this to encourage. I was one of those guys who NEVER thought I would experience hair loss. No one on either side of my family suffers from Male Pattern Baldness. My father is thinning now, but he is in his 60's (but I am unsure about his father). My hair was my most prominent feature. The way my face is shaped, my hair is vital to my appearance and thus self-confidence; as such, an attack on its integrity would cripple my self-esteem. I had a thick Afro for my entire high school and college tenure. Beginning in college, the first indications something was amiss, was the unusually heavy amount of hair falling out in the shower at my college apartment (I attributed this to stress). Several months later during a weekend back at my home, my aunt made a passing comment, "you should cut your hair, you can see through it, it doesn't look good." I for the most part ignored that and proceeded on my way, I had a thick hair, and I took that for granted. Cut to 2013, having trimmed my hair, I came to the realization that yes, this is happening to me, I am experiencing hair loss. I cannot explain how much of a shock this was, but it was a latent shock, suddenly the way I saw my 20's going just... changed, just completely changed. Unsure of what to do, I spent early 2013 in a catatonic mindset (other things), removed from this concern. Toward the latter half of 2013, I started to come down to earth again, and realized that I had to take care of this problem. From the comments of others (a barber, my cousin etc.), I got the impression that my male pattern baldness was still in its early stages (not much frontal regress as I have always had a widows peak). During the fall months (still not doing anything about it), I progressively began to develop the desire to reverse my hair loss and get my mane back. That desire was actualized on Dec 21st 2013, when I made an appointment with a clinic in Washington to finally address this. Right then and there I was absolutely committed to doing whatever was necessary to regain full coverage, roundness, and density. After observation and blood tests, I consulted with a dermatologist, and on Dec 31st, 2013 I was approved to begin Finasteride for the treatment of Male Pattern Baldness. This was a day before I was set to leave (family issues) and return to California, literally getting the prescription hours before my insurance was set to expire along with my presence in Washington. What follows is my conquest to reclaim my head, and ultimately mount a glorious mane as a monument on the corpse of DHT and male pattern baldness.

"This pain that you hold is yours. There is not a single pain quite like it. Nobody else on God’s green earth can feel this pain, or have the indescribable feeling of pride you will have when you overcome it. This pain is not your curse; this pain is your privilege."
-Arnold Scharznegger

Information:

Regiment:
Primary:
Finasteride (1.25mg) X 1 per day
Minoxidil (5% Strength) X 1 per day (at night)
Nizoral (2% Ketaconazole) x 2 per week (Saturday and Tuesday)
Biotin Supplement (10,000 mcg) x 1 per day
Omega 3 Fatty-Acid Supplement (1 Recommended Daily Value) x 1 per day

Backup (Not yet utilized):
Minoxidil (12.5% Strength) with Azelaic Acid
Lasercomb

Strategy:

Phase One:
Using all of the clinically proven products to treat hair loss, my goal is multiform. First and foremost, I intend to stop my current hair loss from progressing by drastically reducing serum/scalp DHT (finasteride/saw palmetto). My primary goal is to utilize all of said available products to maximize my hair regrowth by: reversing miniaturization (minoxidil), reducing scalp inflammation (ketaconazole), promoting truncated follicle cycles (caffeine), and progressively thickening existing follicles (Minoxidil, Biotin, Omega-3, Finasteride).
Time Frame: 1 year

Phase Two (Possible): Upon completion of phase one, having given the course of treatment sufficient time for optimal results. I may undergo FUE hair transplantation surgery to establish complete vertical coverage (looking down).

Phase Three: Upon establishing complete coverage, I intend to reinforce density and roundness by utilizing the new tier of treatments coming out within the coming years.

Progress:

Disclaimer
I understand this is not a scientifically conducted study, various variables change throughout the photo progression (hairstyle, direction, length). This was originally intended as a purely personal documentation following the PPP rule (Proven, Patience, Pictures). Additionally, do to the nature of my former attitude towards hair loss, I did not take any pictures of it at its worst; however, I hope from my first after shot you will be able to somewhat infer that there was only miniaturized hair in a very prominent horseshoe balding pattern on my crown. Lastly, as you may notice they are all crown shots, as I am only really concerned about my crown, frontal regression is actually beneficial for By examining the photos closely I hope you can see that there is genuine and dramatic regrowth independent of my hairstyle and length. Thank you.

January 1, 2014
Crown is showing NW4 balding, very fine miniaturized hair folliciles in clear horseshoe pattern with "dead zones" at the two vertexes of my crown (left and right). Forehead hairline regression has reached the sides of the apex of my forehead with advanced widows peak. Temples are thinning, with sporadic diffuse thinning throughout my midsection.

*No Photo Available*

March 14, 2014
I am three months into a combination therapy using Finasteride (1.25mg/d), Minoxidil (5% at Night), and Ketaconazole Shampoo (Twice Weekly). The bald area I had at the very beginning of treatment is beginning to show lots of fine hairs emerging. Temples are getting thicker, hairline is filling in at vertices.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/meroneywarren/Hair/PhotoMar1470102PM_zps839d5237.jpg

May 23, 2014
Hair is slightly longer, getting progressively thicker all over the place, loss of hair in shower has drastically reduced, scalp is itching on and off, self-confidence is coming back. Frontal hairline regeneration especially prominent. Flaking is very evident, along with itchy scalp.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/meroneywarren/Hair/PhotoMay23111558AM_zps8b4ca944.jpg

July 20, 2014
Hair is getting progressively thicker. Right side of horseshoe has acceptable coverage, left side still has core area of miniaturization. Setback: During a month long period between June and July I ventured out to Santa Fe. During this time I was so confident in my campaign of reversal that I relaxed my program with Minoxidil. Do not get complacent, male pattern baldness is just looking for a weakness, and it will come back with a vengeance, as you can see from my left side.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/meroneywarren/Hair/PhotoAug2343535PM_zps374c7add.jpg

Will post more updates soon. *Re-post*