Honest Advice For Hair Transplants Please

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have already posted elsewhere about considering getting a hair transplant.

However I have now started to look in more detail at before and after photos. Alot of the time the hair transplants dont look very good. I also notice many of the people getting hair transplants have fairly deep hair loss, so there is essentially it seems a better risk/return ratio for them than with a norwood 2. Often the transplants dont seem to give them a thick norwood 1 hair style though. Just gives them a bit of hair to make them look less bald.

Also the time involved in the process looks harrowing, until you look normal. I do high profile work and just cannot afford to look like I have had this type of procedure. I cannot look like I have a red inflamed bloody scalp with some shock loss and strange bits of hair growing in and falling out and with a shaven head. I cannot look like that for my work.

I think I had maybe an idealistic notion of hair transplants before digging deeper into it. Initially I had been looking at other photos of before and after and the hair looked perfect and thick and natural and complete hairline. Some of these were celebrities. But now I just dont know what photos are real and what are bullshit. Except for the ones I see on this website. Unfortunately there are not very many before and after photos here for someone in a similar situation to myself.

I am 37 with norwood 2 hairloss, the remaining is thick and stable, and have been on finasteride a long time.

So coming to my questions I am really keen for honest balanced and detailed advice:

1. Do hair transplants for someone initially on a norwood 2 generally actually improve the hairline and make it look thick and dense and natural? What are the chances of this typically? Or do they look sh*t with a pluggy thin and unnatural appearance?

2. What is a realistic recovery time so that you dont look really strange and that you have had a procedure? I am trying to work out how much time off work would be needed so that no one knows what has gone on. A month will be hard for me to get.

Last edited:

meangreen

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. If you choose a skilled surgeon, you can get a good result, but it may take more than one procedure to make you happy and achieve your desired density. I believe this is especially true with norwood 2-3 where you really need the transplanted hair to blend in properly with dense native hair, as opposed to someone who is completely bald and their newly transplated hair is thin all around, in which case there isn't a noticeable strong contrast. The chances are much better if you have thicker caliber hair and don't have major shockloss. Your surgeon should be able to somewhat anticipate the expected extent of shock loss (or not) in the receipient area based upon if you have existing miniturazation there.

2. I would honestly say 2 weeks minimum is needed to be completely incognito. This is based upon getting FUE. You will still need to tactfully choose your haircut and carefully plan its timing in relation to your procedure.

I am not sure about your linked surgeon, but ask the clinic if they can provide you with photos and references of patients who had a similar minimal hairloss pattern to yours. I would be hesitant to choose them if they can't provide these. The photos presented actually show a very good result (in my opinion) for guys with very extensive hairloss.

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@meangreen thanks very much for your constructive and detailed advice. I think thats a great idea to ask the surgeon for such photos. @hanginginthewire thanks for your feedback. From what I understand the surgeon is well regarded.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have to be able to manage your own expectations.

Most hair transplants can only give an appearance of hair they wont give you the density of a natural hairline. I had my hairline filled in 7 years ago and there is definitely a difference between the native hair and the transplanted hair. I did my research and picked a renowned FUE surgeon who reassured me that I would have a natural look. However 7 years further on up the road I am regretting the procedure, mainly because despite taking the meds my hair loss has continued, you must keep this in mind!

Also the 2000 graphs I had took more than a month to settle down, there was facial swelling for the first week the scabs did not come out until the end of the second week and then a red/pink scalp for a further two weeks. The implanted hair did not appear again for 4 months. I too have a job were appearance is everything so I was out of action and reluctant to see customers for the whole month. They will tell you that you can return to work after a week but that is only true if you are willing to be upfront about the procedure if you think nobody will notice you are dreaming!

Most people will have to have 2-3 procedures to get to the look they want so be prepared as it is neither cheap or unnoticeable and there is a fair amount of embarrassment & discomfort to deal with too.

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Murkey Thumb thanks very much for giving advice on your experience. That precisely answers my question.

Do you mind sharing at what age you had the procedure done? Are you going to have repeat surgery to implant hair where the loss has occurred in the last 7 years?

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It will be almost impossible for a hair transplant doctor to live up to your expectations, as there is a limit to how much density they can achieve without risking necropathy.

If you have shock loss, it may not recover for many months. You can get a red rash that persists in the transplant area..
Unless they harvest the proper grafts, your hairline may look very un-natural. Etc Etc.

Then you have to wait months to find out if it is a success. My 2nd hair transplant took two years to come in. Sorry to sound depressing, but the odds of you being happy are 5 % vs 95%. Why risk a NW2 and being fu'ked up.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Murkey Thumb thanks very much for giving advice on your experience. That precisely answers my question.

Do you mind sharing at what age you had the procedure done? Are you going to have repeat surgery to implant hair where the loss has occurred in the last 7 years?
I had the procedure aged 46, which I got told was the ideal time because my testosterone levels would be falling which means less DHT. My hair is now defuse along with the transplanted hair so I guess they were wrong. The best they could do for me would involve about 5000 grafts into the crown and pile the hair forward but another surgeon admitted that even then it would be thin. So I will keep my hair short and hope the future treatments coming in the next 2-3 years will be able to resolve the problem. Don't get me wrong it is tempting as I could fly to Turkey for the weekend and could get it done for about £3-4k but then I don't really want to have to explain to my fellow professionals/customers why my head looks like a pin cushion, again!

If you are only a Norwood 2 and can tolerate Finasteride I would stick with that and if want to try and increase you hair try minoxidil foam on your thin areas, don't use it where the hair is thick because it will cycle and any new growth becomes dependant on it.

shookwun

Reaction score
You have to be able to manage your own expectations.

Most hair transplants can only give an appearance of hair they wont give you the density of a natural hairline. I had my hairline filled in 7 years ago and there is definitely a difference between the native hair and the transplanted hair. I did my research and picked a renowned FUE surgeon who reassured me that I would have a natural look. However 7 years further on up the road I am regretting the procedure, mainly because despite taking the meds my hair loss has continued, you must keep this in mind!

Also the 2000 graphs I had took more than a month to settle down, there was facial swelling for the first week the scabs did not come out until the end of the second week and then a red/pink scalp for a further two weeks. The implanted hair did not appear again for 4 months. I too have a job were appearance is everything so I was out of action and reluctant to see customers for the whole month. They will tell you that you can return to work after a week but that is only true if you are willing to be upfront about the procedure if you think nobody will notice you are dreaming!

Most people will have to have 2-3 procedures to get to the look they want so be prepared as it is neither cheap or unnoticeable and there is a fair amount of embarrassment & discomfort to deal with too.

I must commend you on your post, because it's entirely in line with my own experiences.

I always lol at people who think they will be ready in a month. Ha it will take months before you look normal, and presentable to the public. For those who are fair skinned, even longer because of the lingering redness that takes forever to go away. Takes me around 7 months before its finally gone, even after that any activity that gets your blood pressure up tends to accentuate the redness up top. The bullshit I went through to cover up, and gradually become normal in appearance - constant make up on my entire scalp, and dermmatch after a month to give the appearance of hair. Because the surrounding hairs got thin, and a lot of shedding took place. it's a huge comittment, but the rewards are worth it!

One transplant...lmao. if you are extremely lucky and gifted.. Most people will require 2minimum to give them a half decent result, unless of course there donor calibre is thick to begin with. After one procedure most people will fall under a situational catgeory of hair loss, bright lights and sun light will make you look bald. it will look like your previous norwood, but with an unnatural appearance/outline of hair grafts in the surrounding area. After the second procedure you can expect to have coverage.

this was my experience, and like most... they will experience something similar to what you have mentioned.

Oh did I forget to mention it cost me 24,000 CAD to have my hair back?

Be prepared to become a recluse, and ignore everyone in your life for a good few months post operation.

Dont forget to wear a hat everywhere also :D

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Shookwan, I try to be honest because there are too many people with vested interests commenting on forums like this. The whole hair loss industry is full of duff information and over exaggeration. i.e People make money by telling you onion juice will cure baldness which is total BS. The surgeon told me he could make my hair look like Ozzy Osbournes ha ha, I knew then he was blowing smoke up my ***!

24000 CAD is similar to some of the prices I have been quoted in the UK for a second procedure(Turkey is much, much, cheaper). Your a braver man than me Shookwun but then again I'm a fair skinned, large headed, black haired, Irish/English man so it would be difficult to get good density! The first one has put me off any further ones as it didn't look like I expected it to and the whole experience wasn't what I was told it would be.

You are spot on about light too, in natural light I look ok but any kind of overhead artificial/fluorescent light and I look like a Norwood 7 and have to wear a cap in bright sunlight otherwise my scalp just burns.

Susanoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I must commend you on your post, because it's entirely in line with my own experiences.

I always lol at people who think they will be ready in a month. Ha it will take months before you look normal, and presentable to the public. For those who are fair skinned, even longer because of the lingering redness that takes forever to go away. Takes me around 7 months before its finally gone, even after that any activity that gets your blood pressure up tends to accentuate the redness up top. The bullshit I went through to cover up, and gradually become normal in appearance - constant make up on my entire scalp, and dermmatch after a month to give the appearance of hair. Because the surrounding hairs got thin, and a lot of shedding took place. it's a huge comittment, but the rewards are worth it!

One transplant...lmao. if you are extremely lucky and gifted.. Most people will require 2minimum to give them a half decent result, unless of course there donor calibre is thick to begin with. After one procedure most people will fall under a situational catgeory of hair loss, bright lights and sun light will make you look bald. it will look like your previous norwood, but with an unnatural appearance/outline of hair grafts in the surrounding area. After the second procedure you can expect to have coverage.

this was my experience, and like most... they will experience something similar to what you have mentioned.

Oh did I forget to mention it cost me 24,000 CAD to have my hair back?

Be prepared to become a recluse, and ignore everyone in your life for a good few months post operation.

Dont forget to wear a hat everywhere also :D
The second to last sentence really hits home. I've gone through one, very satisfied, but f***... the mental willpower needed to go through this sh*t one more time. Its tough. Forget the money, travel, and how much time your able to take off the only thing that really matters is how your able to handle the next 3-4 months especially if your in the majority of peoples situations where you aren't speaking up about it and have to go back to your day job several weeks to a month post-op.

Easily considering saving up and quitting in order to be in isolation for 3 months during my next procedure. No job =easy isolation from rest of world = happy me.

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the good advice thus far. Generous of you to share your experiences with transplants.

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are only a Norwood 2 and can tolerate Finasteride I would stick with that and if want to try and increase you hair try minoxidil foam on your thin areas, don't use it where the hair is thick because it will cycle and any new growth becomes dependant on it.

Interesting what you are saying about minoxidil. All the great experienced advice on here is putting me off a hair transplant which I think is a good thing.

Since joining this forum I have now started to think a bit about using minoxidil. Never thought about using it before. Didnt think it worked until coming on here. From what you are saying here do you think that minoxidil can actually bring about balding in hair that is currently good and thick? I dont quite understand what you are saying.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting what you are saying about minoxidil. All the great experienced advice on here is putting me off a hair transplant which I think is a good thing.

Since joining this forum I have now started to think a bit about using minoxidil. Never thought about using it before. Didnt think it worked until coming on here. From what you are saying here do you think that minoxidil can actually bring about balding in hair that is currently good and thick? I dont quite understand what you are saying.
You can get hair sheds when you first use minoxidil, weak hairs will fall out so don't use it on areas were you don't need it! Minoxidil is for encouraging hair regrowth which works very well on hair that has been lost in the past few years.

Finasteride will help keep what you have but you are unlikely to get new growth from it as it is a preventative measure.

The hair gained from Minoxodil will eventually fall out if you stop using it as the new hair becomes dependant upon the minoxidil so its kind of a routine you need to maintain.

The routine is often referred to as the big 3, the only medically approved treatments that work. Nizoral is a anti inflammatory shampoo which will keep your scalp healthy, dandruff free and infection free.

1. Finistaride
2. Minoxidil 5ml twice a day
3. Nizoral shampoo 2%, 2-3 time a week.

There is quite a lot of evidence that derma rolling can help with absorption and there is also evidence that wounding caused can cause regrowth but it will cause temporary redness to the scalp.