Homemade spironolactone or minoxidil topical....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chemicals like propylene glycol and glycerin are used in topical minoxidil preparations first and foremost as solvents. Everybody wants a 5% solution (don't get me started on the "Numbers Game"), and without one or the other of those chemicals, you wouldn't even be able to HAVE a 5% minoxidil solution. Pure ethanol only dissolves minoxidil to about 2.9%, whereas pure PPG dissolves it to about 7.5% or so. So you gotta put SOMETHING extra in the solution to be able to get it up to 5% minoxidil.

Both PPG and glycerin are humectants. That's why PPG is used in cigar humidors, for example. PPG permeates through the skin better than glycerin, according to the Merck Index, but more people are allergic or sensitive to PPG than glycerin. Either one should help counter the drying effects of alcohol on the skin.

Bryan

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Q. Does Xandrox15 have a ‘greasy’ feel?

A. Since the base is 80% ethyl alcohol, Xandrox15 solution absorbs quickly and does not leave an oily sheen on the scalp.

As someone who has used Rogaine for over a year, Dr Lee's own Minoxidil for around 6 months and more recently Xandrox 5 and Xandrox 15 solutions I can catagorically say the above answer, attributed to Dr Lee, is a great heap of Pigshit.

Xandrox 15 (which currently sits on my head) is the oiliest, greasiest stuff I have had to rub into my scalp since the day I first looked in the mirror and thought "is my face getting bigger?"

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when I read that statement from Dr. Lee. I've obviously never used Xandrox 15 myself, but everyone else has mentioned how greasy it is. I thought to myself, is Dr. Lee saying that with a straight face?? He's obviously talking Shiite! :wink:

Bryan

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree with tyan xandrox 15 is the greasiest. I have tried all the minoxidil products from Dr. Lee. I rank his products in the following order. Greasiness increases as you go down the list.

1. regular minoxidil (#500) - dries in few minutes
2. xandrox 5% - dries in 30 minutes
3. xandrox 5% no PG
3. regular/generic rogaine
5. PG free regular minoxidil
6. xandrox 15 (the worst for drying/cosmetic effects).

Addition of retinic acide/rx beta... does not change the cosmetic/drying effect. I have given tied rankings for two products.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When I say Xandrox 15 is like cooking oil I say it as a fan of his products, I think his standard 5% minoxidil solution is a godsend as it dries in a few minutes, this leaves Rogaine looking like a form of punishment for the follicly challenged, but to promote Xandrox 15 as a fast absorbing formula that does not leave an oily sheen is comic.

@@@>>> http://img180.echo.cx/img180/5076/mpe0114l3aw.jpg <<<@@@

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
techprof said:
I agree with tyan xandrox 15 is the greasiest. I have tried all the minoxidil products from Dr. Lee. I rank his products in the following order. Greasiness increases as you go down the list.

1. regular minoxidil (#500) - dries in few minutes
2. xandrox 5% - dries in 30 minutes
3. xandrox 5% no PG
3. regular/generic rogaine
5. PG free regular minoxidil
6. xandrox 15 (the worst for drying/cosmetic effects).

Addition of retinic acide/rx beta... does not change the cosmetic/drying effect. I have given tied rankings for two products.

how does the spironolactone 5% from Dr lee fit on the scale ( if you have tried it)? Ive got some on order/in the mail.... And I had hoped it was similar to his regular minoxidil.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Chemicals like propylene glycol and glycerin are used in topical minoxidil preparations first and foremost as solvents. Everybody wants a 5% solution (don't get me started on the "Numbers Game"), and without one or the other of those chemicals, you wouldn't even be able to HAVE a 5% minoxidil solution. Pure ethanol only dissolves minoxidil to about 2.9%, whereas pure PPG dissolves it to about 7.5% or so. So you gotta put SOMETHING extra in the solution to be able to get it up to 5% minoxidil.

Both PPG and glycerin are humectants. That's why PPG is used in cigar humidors, for example. PPG permeates through the skin better than glycerin, according to the Merck Index, but more people are allergic or sensitive to PPG than glycerin. Either one should help counter the drying effects of alcohol on the skin.

Bryan
Thanks for the good info although could you tell me where the additional minoxidil goes if say a 15% by weight was added to the ethanol. I fail to see the black hole that swallows minoxidil.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
corn, 5% is a lotion and is supposed to be greasy compared to his regular minoxidil and xandrox (according to him). I haven't tried it personally. His 2% sprio dries very fast. I use it occasionally. I would say his 5% should be better than xandrox 15.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
techprof said:
corn, 5% is a lotion and is supposed to be greasy compared to his regular minoxidil and xandrox (according to him). I haven't tried it personally. His 2% sprio dries very fast. I use it occasionally. I would say his 5% should be better than xandrox 15.

darn, shouldnt have ordered it. I want the 2%. : (

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
thin=depressed said:
Thanks for the good info although could you tell me where the additional minoxidil goes if say a 15% by weight was added to the ethanol. I fail to see the black hole that swallows minoxidil.

15% minoxidil by weight simply won't completely dissolve in pure ethanol. Part of it will go into solution, and the rest will remain behind at the bottom of the container.

Bryan

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
15% minoxidil by weight simply won't completely dissolve in pure ethanol. Part of it will go into solution, and the rest will remain behind at the bottom of the container.

Bryan

could you not shake it to form a suspension ?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
You could do that, but it's questionable how much good it would do when you apply it to your scalp.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thin=depressed said:

Bryan
Bryan this is true only for pure ethanol right? Xandrox 15 is 80% ethanol and 20% glycerine. Dr. Lee says it is 15% dissolved minoxidil in ethanol-glycerine solution. I have been using xandrox 15 for a year, I haven't had any freezing problems so far.

Rocketeer

Reaction score
I might try making my own topical spironolactone cream. You could go for chruched spironolactone in a Dermovan/Dermovat solution. Or perhaps a Retin-A gel mixed wih spironolactone?

If you powder the spironolactone really fine and add it to the Dermovan in the proportions 2 grams of spironolactone per 100 ml Dermovan you would end up with a 2% solution.

But then I ran into Dr Lee so I might try his spironolactone cream to begin with :)

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep using the search function but I still can't find the complete and clear "formula" of Bryan's homemade spironolactone. I live in France and names like Dermovan or such don't mean much here, but terms like Propylene Glycol are universal I guess. Could someone help me? Thanks.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rocketeer said:
If you powder the spironolactone really fine and add it to the Dermovan in the proportions 2 grams of spironolactone per 100 ml Dermovan you would end up with a 2% solution.

No, you would end up with a 1.96% solution.

2 grams per 98 ml would give you a 2% solution.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
techprof said:
Bryan this is true only for pure ethanol right?

Yes. I was referring to pure ethyl alcohol.

techprof said:
Xandrox 15 is 80% ethanol and 20% glycerine. Dr. Lee says it is 15% dissolved minoxidil in ethanol-glycerine solution.

Don't forget the azelaic acid, which is also a critical component for allowing it to dissolve that much minoxidil!

Bryan

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks bryan. that explains why Dr. Lee won't sell 15% minoxidil as opposed 15% xandrox.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
khai said:
I keep using the search function but I still can't find the complete and clear "formula" of Bryan's homemade spironolactone.

It sounds like you may be referring to this brief description I wrote a long time ago:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's how I make my handy-dandy Dermovan-based 3% spironolactone cream:

I only make 20 grams at a time, because of potential odor problems from larger amounts sitting around unused. (I personally have never had any problems with this, but why take a chance?)

I use a 50 ml glass beaker for mixing, which is ideal for this purpose. I've previously marked the beaker at the 20 ml point, so I just fill it to this point with an even level of Dermovan (we're not mixing rocket fuel for the Space Shuttle; it doesn't have to be exact). Next I take six 100 mg spironolactone tablets and finely powder them with a mortar and pestle, then add the powder to the beaker. I thoroughly mix it by stirring with a small kitchen knife. It's amazing how well the powder is "dissolved" into the Dermovan. The resulting mixture is absolutely smooth and homogeneous, with no detectable traces of tablet excipients.

Afterwards, I scoop the contents out of the beaker using the kitchen knife and deposit it into my storage container, which is an empty 25 ml Proxiphen vial (also perfect for this purpose). I keep it in the refrigerator.

The whole process is cheap, fast, and fun. No fuss, no muss.

Bryan