HLC FUE 3500 grafts. How much more can my donor take?

Paulito9x9

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

it's been 6 months since my hair transplant at HLC in turkey and I thought I'd share my results so far. At the same time I'd like to ask for your opinion wit regard to how much more you think my donor can take.
I had 3502 grafts extracted for the frontal third of my scalp at a density of 50 per m^2. I don't think I've reached my final result yet but I do suppose most of the growth has already taken place.
Now, here's the part I'm really skeptical about. At HLC they estimated my total donor reserves around 8000-9000 grafts so I should technically have 4500-5000 left. Considering the effect 3500 have had I find this highly dubious. What do you think?
Chances are I'm gonna have to have at least one more hair transplant done for my mid-scalp region. The straight line transition I'm sporting right now is just too visible and so by moving it further back to my crown would give me a better look. I guess I'll just have to live with no crown coverage. I guess I could get about 1500 grafts done at a density of about 30. What do you guys think? What would you do?

One thing to note is that I'm not on finasteride (can't tolerate it) and I've quite minoxidil since the hair transplant. Even though I was able to tolerate minoxidil well for years the sides suddenly hit me. I guess due to the increased stress levels (thanks covid). But I might get back on it again...

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 688
  • before_back (1).jpg
    before_back (1).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 618
  • before_front.jpg
    before_front.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 492
  • before_left.jpg
    before_left.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 567
  • before_right.jpg
    before_right.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 472
  • before_top.jpg
    before_top.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 578
  • crown.png
    crown.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 500
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 501
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 562
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 525
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 746

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
IMHO you have a very good result on your hands. Personally, I do not think your donor has much left to give as it already looks sparse/thin.

Everybody is different, but if I were you I would declare victory. You won. Don't risk messing it up with a surgery you really do not need.

zerafian

Established Member
Reaction score
I mean, Ive be told that facial hair is usable and even chest hair, its just (20-30%) success rate with the follicle actually staying. You do have options if you really want to go those routes. Talk to your surgeon first about it.

Paulito9x9

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMHO you have a very good result on your hands. Personally, I do not think your donor has much left to give as it already looks sparse/thin.

Everybody is different, but if I were you I would declare victory. You won. Don't risk messing it up with a surgery you really do not need.
Thanks! The lighting surely plays a role. I do believe that 1000 grafts should still be doable though. Especially, if a certain percentage of those were bread grafts. The idea is that I'd only need to apply any future topicals, be it topical finas or something novel, on a much smaller area this minimizing the risk of side effects even further.
I mean, Ive be told that facial hair is usable and even chest hair, its just (20-30%) success rate with the follicle actually staying. You do have options if you really want to go those routes. Talk to your surgeon first about it.
I believe the survival hair should be higher than that for beard grafts. I'm considering having them mixed in. Don't know about chest hair. It's not a route I'd take though anyway.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do people often access the donor hair 6 months in? If they told you that you had another 4k+ you might just be experiencing some shock loss or something. Wait longer and see how your donor hair improves, because your recipient area is definitely going to continue to improve and it already looks great.

If you plan to wear your hair at the length it is in the pictures forever, seems like a good fit for a mixture of beard, donor and smp.

Paulito9x9

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do people often access the donor hair 6 months in? If they told you that you had another 4k+ you might just be experiencing some shock loss or something. Wait longer and see how your donor hair improves, because your recipient area is definitely going to continue to improve and it already looks great.

If you plan to wear your hair at the length it is in the pictures forever, seems like a good fit for a mixture of beard, donor and smp.
I usually buzz it down to 4mm and it already looks really good. It makes the transition between transplanted and native hair less apparent.

You think there may be some shock loss? I haven't really noticed but I suppose it's possible. I'm totally puzzled by the supposed 4K.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I usually buzz it down to 4mm and it already looks really good. It makes the transition between transplanted and native hair less apparent.

You think there may be some shock loss? I haven't really noticed but I suppose it's possible. I'm totally puzzled by the supposed 4K.
I'm not sure, have you thought about sending some pictures for online consultations to see what other doctors estimate?

zerafian

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The lighting surely plays a role. I do believe that 1000 grafts should still be doable though. Especially, if a certain percentage of those were bread grafts. The idea is that I'd only need to apply any future topicals, be it topical finas or something novel, on a much smaller area this minimizing the risk of side effects even further.

I believe the survival hair should be higher than that for beard grafts. I'm considering having them mixed in. Don't know about chest hair. It's not a route I'd take though anyway.
oh yeah, beard hair has a high success rate as well. Body hair is definitely a last resort though. I dont think anyone wants to do that, unless you have to.