HISTOGEN UPDATE

K

karankaran

Lets get real here, if someone gives you a million dollars and ask you to invest in EITHER CANCER, HEART REGENERATION or male pattern baldness, where will YOU put it? In research for diseases that can save lives or research for a condition that involves cosmetic improvement? If you were to undertake a research in biology as a scientist, won't you invest your efforts in saving lives and will that not be your topmost priority?

The reason why male pattern baldness research has lagged is because lesser research focus and lesser research money compared to other fields. But here have been SIGNIFICANT discoveries in the past couple of years, which i believe is also a spill over effect from research in other fields. Also , to be fair, a cure to treat scars or burn victims, which might involve growing complete skin (that has follicles), is yet to be here. so it is not like specifically growing new follicles are lagging. I believe we will have a cure in the next 15-20 years but before that, we will have certain drugs or topicals that address the incremental understandings scientists have made and it will provide us with a temporary treatment before we can have an endless supply of genetically resistant hair follicles from our donor areas.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lets get real here, if someone gives you a million dollars and ask you to invest in EITHER CANCER, HEART REGENERATION or male pattern baldness, where will YOU put it? In research for diseases that can save lives or research for a condition that involves cosmetic improvement? If you were to undertake a research in biology as a scientist, won't you invest your efforts in saving lives and will that not be your topmost priority?

Except that the amount of money that goes into cancer research already trumps all the others by a landslide. Let's not act like hair loss is on anyone's priority list... I'd wager people have more fun making fun of baldness than they would from seeing others be happy not to suffer from it.

The reason why male pattern baldness research has lagged is because lesser research focus and lesser research money compared to other fields.

Bingo.

But here have been SIGNIFICANT discoveries in the past couple of years, which i believe is also a spill over effect from research in other fields.

Yeah, but at some point these discoveries need to be applicable. Not in 15-20 years, not 10 years, not 2-5, not tomorrow, not after breakfast... NOW. I think it's safe to say that all these discoveries have done nothing but given balding men a false sense of hope all these years.

Also , to be fair, a cure to treat scars or burn victims, which might involve growing complete skin (that has follicles), is yet to be here.

Somewhat false actually. If you look at Dr. Roland Lauster's research, his work is, or at least WAS supposed to end animal testing of cosmetics products through his acheivements of creating artificial skin with hair follicles... he achieved that 4 years ago already. So where the fvck are the benefits of his discovery? Why aren't we taking advantage of it instead of being pissed off on forums and living in misery?

so it is not like specifically growing new follicles are lagging.

Thats true.

I believe we will have a cure in the next 15-20 years

That is an unacceptable monumental FAILURE. I'm a NW3 today, in 15 years I'll be slick bald and even more detested by society. I have no desire to live like that.

but before that, we will have certain drugs or topicals that address the incremental understandings scientists have made and it will provide us with a temporary treatment before we can have an endless supply of genetically resistant hair follicles from our donor areas.

I don't give a fvck about topicals. I want real solutions NOW.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
What makes you think it is simple?

Because relatively, I'm almost certain it is. Let's not pretend that growing a uterus would be any less difficult than growing hair (thats been beaten to death with all these fancy fvcking discoveries).

God damn what a miserable failure on the part of society... it aint just researchers incompetence.

bushbush

Established Member
Reaction score
Because relatively, I'm almost certain it is. Let's not pretend that growing a uterus would be any less difficult than growing hair (thats been beaten to death with all these fancy fvcking discoveries).

God damn what a miserable failure on the part of society... it aint just researchers incompetence.

They grew a vagina, not a uterus. *

The body parts that you have been reading about being grown in a lab are mostly structural (with the exception of things like the liver which have natural regenerative properties).

'All' they have to do is manufacture (or 3-D print) the structure and establish cells in culture to grown on and around it.

In actual fact, this is a lot more difficult to achieve with a fully functioning body part (i.e. one that is not simply structural in function) such as a hair follicle.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
They grew a vagina, not a uterus. *

The body parts that you have been reading about being grown in a lab are mostly structural (with the exception of things like the liver which have natural regenerative properties).

'All' they have to do is manufacture (or 3-D print) the structure and establish cells in culture to grown on and around it.

In actual fact, this is a lot more difficult to achieve with a fully functioning body part (i.e. one that is not simply structural in function) such as a hair follicle.

I'm absolutely livid with all these 'discoveries' and nearly all of them not being put into practice, hair loss included. I really want to go out and rip someone's head off for stalling, procrastinating and holding back funds with red tape bullsh*t. I'm fvcking tired of hair loss consuming my life.. I can only imagine what its like for others who have serious physical disabilities preventing them from doing the most basic things. However, thats not to downplay the psychological torment I and others with hair loss suffer from... it's borderline debilitating.

TheHandsomeLurker

Established Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch The Big Bang Theory last night??

Sheldon asked Kripkey why he dissed String Theory when he was a String Theorist himself -- his answer was "he took research money for a theory that was unprovable and spent it on hookers and blow"..just para-phrasing, but point taken....

...It never really struck me until I heard that...but makes sense...you know you can't solve the problem but pitch it like you can and take the money ...

...I think that sum's it up...

Yes, this anecdote from a sitcom is the perfect summation of the entire scientific process.

I don't understand these irrational public tantrums about why medical science doesn't advance more quickly.

The problem isn't the medicine, it's us. If you're really upset about your hair loss to the point that it's taking over your life, you need a therapist. And I meant that seriously as a constructive suggestion. Therapy provides a wonderful outlet towards overcoming mental strife.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, this anecdote from a sitcom is the perfect summation of the entire scientific process.

I don't understand these irrational public tantrums about why medical science doesn't advance more quickly.

The problem isn't the medicine, it's us. If you're really upset about your hair loss to the point that it's taking over your life, you need a therapist. And I meant that seriously as a constructive suggestion. Therapy provides a wonderful outlet towards overcoming mental strife.

Oh, just shut the hell up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

TheHandsomeLurker

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, just shut the hell up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes I do.

1) Public kvetching does nothing to cure your hair loss or make you feel better. It might make you feel worse.

2) Therapy is awesome. I was obsessing over my hair loss, so I started seeing a psychiatrist, and I'm doing much better now.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Yes I do.

1) Public kvetching does nothing to cure your hair loss or make you feel better. It might make you feel worse.

2) Therapy is awesome. I was obsessing over my hair loss, so I started seeing a psychiatrist, and I'm doing much better now.

yep...acceptance...because the simple fact that NONE OF US will be getting our 18 year old hair back anytime soon -- not unless you have only frontal/temporal loss and you can FUE hair transplant...so unless you fall in that category, why destroy yourself?? Pouring gas on an already burning fire is what we're doing by freaking out...

this is fact...done and done....I understand Python and Hellouser's panic...I panic'ed and it made me sick...then I got really sick and then nothing else mattered but my health...Mother Nature gave me a real test of what it means to live a life with your health compromised...point taken Momma Nature...I'm still battling health issues and that's my focus now...I'm still curious about hairloss and what's out there, but I'm not going banana's over it...

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
But I have already been to a cat scan due to work and I am in posession of all my faculties. Plus, the therapists will not solve the real problem. Sparks, you need to obsess a little more about hairloss, we need that type of energy here.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
But I have already been to a cat scan due to work and I am in posession of all my faculties. Plus, the therapists will not solve the real problem. Sparks, you need to obsess a little more about hairloss, we need that type of energy here.

I won't obsess, but I am trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together based on what information comes out, here in this forum, plus elsewhere on the web...

..believe me, I obsessed and in the end, there are signs I've screwed myself -- CET withdrawls right now ..plus I think I zapped my eyeballs when I was building and using my laser helmut..eyes are healthy but I have diffuse floaters that fog my vision, and that started very soon after I accidently took an eyeball shot from the lasers when I was building the damn thing..

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
I won't obsess, but I am trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together based on what information comes out, here in this forum, plus elsewhere on the web...

..believe me, I obsessed and in the end, there are signs I've screwed myself -- CET withdrawls right now ..plus I think I zapped my eyeballs when I was building and using my laser helmut..eyes are healthy but I have diffuse floaters that fog my vision, and that started very soon after I accidently took an eyeball shot from the lasers when I was building the damn thing..

Hmm, I used Cet a few times and I confess that I probably used too much in a single dose. What are the symptoms of Cet withdrawn. So you opted for lasers instead of diodes, well that's unfortunate as I also have eye problems, severe case of stigmatism.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
How's the carrot dangling today?