highroller19's story

highroller19

Reaction score
This tests basicly consist of a different approach on attacking my right temple, than my left temple.

I have quite a long history of fighting hair loss before. In 2003, at age 23, I first started with rogaine liquid (1,5 ml 2 times daily), and been doing it ever since. Started to experience more hair loss at age 28, and decided to switch to rogaine foam in hope of getting control of the hair loss again... it turned out to be a big mistake, and I started shedding a lot. After about 2 months of using the foam, I switched back to the liquid, and after some months things got better again. In the beginning of 2010, I took the step and added Propecia to my regimen, and the hair loss stopped after a couple of months. However, a lot of the shedding during the months of foam did not regrow back again. Bought myself a X5 laser but did not use it very much.

My right temple has always been worse than my left temple.

During theese years, I did not wash my hair very often (3 times/week), and I have always had a lot of sebum production on my scalp, and used a lot of hair styling products.

Since june 10th this year, I decided to give my scalp the best possible situation for regrowth, and started to wash my hair twice a day, morning and evenening, dry my hair, and then apply Rogaine on a clean scalp. I also added Nizoral to my regimen (once every secend evening). At mornings I use a very scalp friendly baby mousse schampoo.

RIGHT TEMPLE EXPERIMENT: STARTED 1ST JULY:

The reason for this experiment is to isolate a specific change to one of my temples, in order to see if the changed amount of minoxidil, an X5 laser makes a difference.

Morning, on the right temple: X5 laser 7 min focused. My theory is that the laser by itself does not work, but the laser penetrates the scalp and make the scalp absorb more minoxidil. I first massage the right temple for 1 min with rogaine (the apply rogaine as usual on the rest of my scalp as usual). Then I finish off with another layer of minoxidil on the right temple (2 sprays more).
Total Minoxidil is 2ml each application in total.

So far, my entire scalp feels more healthy (a bit expected of course...) from all the washes. Hair feels a bit fuller and more volume.

Right temple:
I can start to see small white hairs pop up in the area, however theese are way too small to be seen on the photos. It is too early to make any projections, but I hope for the best to come!

highroller19

Reaction score
Re: My right temple experiment (w. pics)

Here´s some pics.
Firts photos are from 10th June 2011 (20 days before start of experiment)

The later pics are taken the 15th of july. Too early to see much difference, but hair feels a bit fuller and scalp feels healthier. I can see some small white hairs start to pop up on my right temple, however theese are way to small and white to be seen on the photos!

Attachments

• DSC06189.JPG
    DSC06189.JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC06195.JPG
    DSC06195.JPG
    581.6 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC06095.JPG
    DSC06095.JPG
    421.2 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC06102.JPG
    DSC06102.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 199

highroller19

Reaction score

Here is a pic of how I usually style my hair, using styling products (Toppik and Hairspray)

Attachments

• DSC06145.JPG
    DSC06145.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 202

highroller19

Reaction score

I now started to use the X5 laser 7 min in the evening as well, right before applying minoxidil.

Routine is as follows:

Morning:
Shower and use hair dryer
X5 laser 7 min at right temple
Rogaine (liquid 5%) 2ml, (after applying to my entire top of head, I end the routine by applying two more sprays at the right temple area)
Propecia

Evening:
Shower using Nizoral 1% every second day, and another normal schampoo the other days in between, hair dryer afterwards
Same X5 laser and Minoxidil routine as in the morning

Started drinking 2 cups of green tea each day also

GeorgeMichaelHair

Reaction score

Hi man,

I hope it will get much better for you in a couple of months.
I'm also on minoxidil, without any other treatment like propecia or X5 laser.

Try to reach this objective : stop producing sebum and notice if your hair are doing well after 3 days without washing them.

I personnaly believe sebum exces is caused by DHT in your scalp and when it has stopped to get oily, there will be better improvements on a healthy scalp.
And perhars hair loss will completely stop.

highroller19

Reaction score
Thanks for your input!

Interesting thoughts about sebum production. I know from before that my sebum production always has been high. I used to wash my hair less frequently before, and after about 2 days it looked all fat, shiny and greasy from all the sebum production produced by my scalp. My goal now is to always apply minoxidil on a clean scalp, with as little sebum as possibe, to get a higher effect from the minoxidil. So, since I have extraordinary high prodcution of sebum, I am guessing washing it less frequently to lowe sebum production is unfortunately not an option.

highroller19

Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried the other applicators in the Rogaine package. I´ve always used the spray, and then spread the minoxidil evenly using my fingers. However, trying the rolling applicator made a huge difference!!!! I now underrstand how much minoxidil that got absorbed by my fingers...

So much more Rogaine stayed on my scalp!! Althoug I still apply the same amount, my scalp is now REALLY wet after the application with the roller, sometimes pouring drops on my scalp!!!
Before it was only slightly wet, and it was completely dry after about 1 hour. I truly recommend you guys to try out the roller, so much more effective applicator than using the fingers to spread the liquid.

highroller19

Reaction score
I came up with the idea to exfoliate the scalp using a face peeling gel. I tried it yesterday, and wow! My scalp felt and looked like babyskin!!!! The smalls sand granulates in the cream peels off dead skin cells, and I had a lot more than I thought....!

Today, I ordered Retin-A 0,025% gel (Jansenns Claig, good quality stuff), but it will take about 3 weeks before the delivery reach my scalp...

Thinking about buying some S5 spironolactone cream as well to add to my regimen. Any thoughts of how tp incorporate the spironolactone into my routine?

highroller19

Reaction score
I decided to purchase a Nanogen scalp roller (Dermaroller) 0,5mm the other day. It should arrive by monday. I am not going to use the dermaroller in conjunction with Retin-A. My plan is to start using the dermaroller, and evaluate the results after a couple of months. If not sufficient, I drop the dermaroller and start using Retin-A instead. I bought the products in hope of some regrowth in the frontal area.

highroller19

Reaction score
Recieved both the scalp roller and the Retin-A in the mail today!!!

Decided to start using only the scalp roller, to enhance the minoxidil absorbtion. Using retin-A in conjunction with the scalp roller seems way overkill and too dangerous.
My target is to use the nanogen scalp roller on my temples in the evenings before applying minoxidil, and evaluate the results after 4 months. Then contemplate and a analyze the results, and eventually switch to trying out retin A instead.

I used the scalp roller (0,5mm) gently today, and it felt ok!!! No pain, just small stings. I did not use much force at all, just to be on the safe side. Applied minoxidil right after and no side effects. So tomorrow I will continue this thing!!!

I noticed that the minoxidil absorbed faster on my temples than it used to. The scalp therefore dried faster. Seems like a good sign!!!

highroller19

Reaction score
Here´s what my hair looks styled now, using toppik and hairspray.
However, any hairstyle exposing my hairline is still out of the question...

Attachments

• h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 166

highroller19

Reaction score
I decided to not only skin needle roll my temples, now I am rolling the entire scalp. The absorbtion is so much faster, my scalp is now "minoxidil absorbed" and dry about 30 min after application, instead of 1,5 hour as before. Really hope this extra absorbtion eventually turns in to results!!

highroller19

Reaction score
Now I use both the dermaroller 0,5mm device (evenings) before applying minoxidil, and Tricomin also about 1 hour after. Morning, only minoxidil as usual.
Here´s some pics I took a couple of days ago. Overall hair quality has improved, but it´s still to early to see signs of regrowth. I am sure about one thing though, the absorbion rate after using the dermaroller is amazing!!!! Hopefully this turns in to some new hairs soon:)

Here´s the pics, no styling products.

Attachments

• DSC06468.JPG
    DSC06468.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC06458.JPG
    DSC06458.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC06459.JPG
    DSC06459.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 173

highroller19

Reaction score
Here is an old pic from end of june 2010, this was probably my worst hair period in my life. I am glad my general hair quality has improved signifivantly since this pic was taken.

Attachments

• DSC05580.JPG
    DSC05580.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 149

highroller19

Reaction score
I had a haircut today, not any big change but still a bad decision... I now must use some extra toppik each day for a while as a result.....!

highroller19

Reaction score
Some new pics, taken oct 29th. Still seing a lot of small vellus hair in the temples, about 1 cm long, however they are so thin, that they are just visible under sun light from certain angles. Hopefully they transform in to more proper dark hairs anytime soon. Overall hair quality is doing fine.

Attachments

• ha okt5.JPG
    ha okt5.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Ha okt2.JPG
    Ha okt2.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Ha okt3.JPG
    Ha okt3.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC06502.JPG
    DSC06502.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 680

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair is looking great at the moment. Good call on avoiding finasteride by the way :punk:

highroller19

Reaction score
Joe-1991: Thanks man!!! Regarding finasteride, I think you are confusing me with someone else... Been on propecia for more than a year.

guy83: It´s a skin and scalproller from Nanogen, but there are cheaper ones out there. Usually go under the name of "dermaroller". 0,5 mm microneedles that penetrates through the upper and into the second skin layer, which are said to increase minoxidil absorbtion by 5-10 times. I really see the difference in absorbtion.....!!!

highroller19

Reaction score
[attachment=0:3ownabqx]n4.JPG[/attachment:3ownabqx]Here is some new pics. I feel like I´m getting some progress. Added retin-A 0,025% gel (only on front hairline) also to my regime.

Attachments

• n1.JPG
    n1.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 149
  • n2.JPG
    n2.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 148
  • n4.JPG
    n4.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 520