high percentage gray hair- should I get human or synthetic?

dino247

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a long time wearer. I'm wearing more gray hair as I age. I like my hair looking my age. I have worn 35% synthetic gray hair, but it's still not enough gray hair for my taste. I don't know at what point I should switch to human gray hair, because a lot of synthetic hair might not look natural enough. Anyone with a high percentage of gray hair out there who can guide me on this?

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 90% grey synthetic....but i mix it in with my own hair all over so perhaps not the best to comment. The issue I have with getting human hair is getting the right colour grey, the synthetic matches it well....its something i've considered maybe get a smaple sent to check it out?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
60% and higher, we use human gray. There is usually a charge for this. The only caveat is if the base color starts to fade. If you dye the system, you lose the gray. Synthetic hair doesn't take to the dye.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm getting to the age of needing more grey hair. Any chance you guys could post come pics of your hair so that we can see how it looks ?

dino247

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi BaldBearded. Thanks for your comment. When you used the word "we" in your post, did you mean that you speak for more than one person? Maybe you sell hair to other customers? That would give even more weight to your advice. By the way, sometimes the synthetic gray is a bit brittle and doesn't blend well with the human hair from the system.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi BaldBearded. Thanks for your comment. When you used the word "we" in your post, did you mean that you speak for more than one person? Maybe you sell hair to other customers? That would give even more weight to your advice. By the way, sometimes the synthetic gray is a bit brittle and doesn't blend well with the human hair from the system.
We, meaning my company, I am a hair systems professional. A high-quality synthetic should not be brittle and should have no problem blending. It's the difference between a hair system from AliExpress or eBay for $100 or something well-made by a reputable supplier.

*Note I do not solicit business on this forum; I am here to give advice.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For your info, I wear 80% synthetic grey,with 20% human 1b. I prefer synthetic Grey as it keeps it white color. Human grey I find gets yellowish. Given it has been bleached, human grey is also brittle and sheds more easily than synthetic in my experience. Here are recent pics of my swiss lace piece

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1680154410717.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680154410717.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 113
  • FB_IMG_1680154418529.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680154418529.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 106

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
As I've been waiting so long from my usual supplier i tried a stock from a well known company but it wasn't good enough. Weirdly despite being 100% grey you could see visible knots that didn't dissapear when against skin, it was as if the hairpiece had bad dandruff. No idea why this was...any ideas?

It will be returned.

Guess I'll continue to try different suppliers, I want at least 2 I can rely on.

dino247

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for you hair pictures, AxC123. It looks great.

By the way, my supplier told me that knots cannot be bleached on a system with over 30% synthetic gray.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for you hair pictures, AxC123. It looks great.

By the way, my supplier told me that knots cannot be bleached on a system with over 30% synthetic gray.
I don't understand what your supplier is saying....synthetic hair cannot be bleached BUT the other colored hair (human) in your piece should be able to be bleachable. For example color 1b60 means 40% off black hair ( human) mixed with 60% synthetic grey hair. So if you want to bleach the black knots you can.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I would bleach the knots when I ordered more than 30% pieces, I have 90% grey now so no need.