High Hairline - What Is The Best Course Of Action?

jacksfilms

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 24 year old male.

I was born with a fairly high hairline. I've always been a Norwood 2. I had my hair grown out longer all throughout elementary school because I didn't care for my appearance in short hair. I don't like to admit it, but I've always been a bit self conscious of my larger forehead.

My father whom is 60 is balding slowly and his father did as well around the age of ~40. All of the men on my mother's side seem to keep their hair forever albeit with hairlines similar to mine.

I've been keeping a close eye on it the past few years, it doesn't seem to be thinning or receding further as time goes on. I'm not one to be too concerned about appearances to others, but it's still an aspect of myself I would like to change.

So here are my questions.

1. Does having a higher hairline make me more prone to balding? Do I appear to be thinning?
2. Can I use supplements to encourage hair growth in areas such as my temples if I've never had hair there before?
3. Would hair transplant surgery to fill in parts of my hairline be a good option given my current appearance?
IMG_0383.JPG
?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Does having a higher hairline make me more prone to balding? Do I appear to be thinning?
Yes you appear to be thinning.

2. Can I use supplements to encourage hair growth in areas such as my temples if I've never had hair there before?

Yes, finasteride & minoxidil.

3. Would hair transplant surgery to fill in parts of my hairline be a good option given my current appearance?

Yes but I highly recommend getting on finasteride for atleast 24 months before contemplating any hair transplant surgery whatsoever

jacksfilms

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes you appear to be thinning.

Yes, finasteride & minoxidil.

Yes but I highly recommend getting on finasteride for atleast 24 months before contemplating any hair transplant surgery whatsoever

Thanks for the reply. I've looked a little into finasteride & minoxidil and I'm not sure it's exactly the right choice for my situation. From what I've read, it seems as though these therapies are more-so preventative and do little in terms of creating new areas of hair. Unless I'm in denial, which I don't think I am, my hairline has has never had follicles down in the temples. I'm thinking the only good option is to have temple grafts.

Last edited:

iSlapBitches

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
get on finasteride and minoxidil for a year or two and see if it stabalizes. Also add in mincroneedlng with a stamp or pen/derminator. Youre likely going to need a hairtransplant to lower that hairline though. Prevention is key in this hairloss game. START NOW!!!

iSlapBitches

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've looked a little into finasteride & minoxidil and I'm not sure it's exactly the right choice for my situation. From what I've read, it seems as though these therapies are more-so preventative and do little in terms of creating new areas of hair. Unless I'm in denial, which I don't think I am, my hairline has has never had follicles down in the temples. I'm thinking the only good option is to have temple grafts.

Youre in denial and will likely continue to lose hair. That is not the hairline you've had youre entire life. Get on the drugs or its likely to get worse

jacksfilms

My Regimen
Reaction score
Youre in denial and will likely continue to lose hair. That is not the hairline you've had youre entire life. Get on the drugs or its likely to get worse

My frontal hairline has always been the same, I did some investigative work and compared ratios for forehead-face from a picture when I was 10 to now. It's the same. Although, my temples did mature and rise a bit more when I was around 17-18.

I'm at a cross-road where I'm not sure if I should take preventative action. I don't see it getting any worse and I don't really want to take a prescription drug long term and deal with any potential side effects that come with it. I don't want to sacrifice other parts of my health to prolong something inevitable that's cosmetic. I need to research it more and talk to my GP. I'll do that right away.

I'll have to keep a very close look at it, take monthly pictures and see if it thins anymore, I'll probably bite the bullet and go the finasteride and minoxidil route if it is worsening.

Or maybe if I am balding, maybe it's best to just accept it and shave it all off / tattoo a hairline instead of fighting the inevitable.

Lots to think about.

Once again, thanks for chiming in guys.

Dimoxinill

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Unfortunately, it does.
2. Supplements wouldn't hurt, but they're pretty much ineffective without minoxidil.
3. My former self would say, "don't modify the creation of the Lord", but since I'm pretty much cursed, I say, do it. Go against the plan of God.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score

Most good surgeons, if not all, demand that their candidates have been on finasteride for atleast 12 months before any transplant..

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
get on finasteride and minoxidil for a year or two and see if it stabalizes. Also add in mincroneedlng with a stamp or pen/derminator. Youre likely going to need a hairtransplant to lower that hairline though. Prevention is key in this hairloss game. START NOW!!!

when is your square hairline post being published no hate genuinely curious

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 24 year old male.

I was born with a fairly high hairline. I've always been a Norwood 2. I had my hair grown out longer all throughout elementary school because I didn't care for my appearance in short hair. I don't like to admit it, but I've always been a bit self conscious of my larger forehead.

My father whom is 60 is balding slowly and his father did as well around the age of ~40. All of the men on my mother's side seem to keep their hair forever albeit with hairlines similar to mine.

I've been keeping a close eye on it the past few years, it doesn't seem to be thinning or receding further as time goes on. I'm not one to be too concerned about appearances to others, but it's still an aspect of myself I would like to change.

View attachment 101871 ?
I'm a 24 year old male.

View attachment 101871 ?

Hi,
I get this forum so I looked at weekly topics & I have same thing. Looking at your photo you have lots of hair which is thick. You are very smart to be concerned & very observant.
As you know the hairline & sides are hardest parts to regrow/thicken.
Your hairline looks natural so we just want more thickness in your concerned areas.
At this time their is no magic bullet. But it seems the medically studied methods are most efficacious.
Let me point out your sides all way to sideburn are consistent thickness. This is good. I have this on left side. right side hair is stagnant on lower right side to sideburn. I’m trying to stimulate.
Minoxidil doesn’t work for 60% of men.
I use oral + spray. I use it but it seems oral more effective for me.
Anti- androgens seem to be plus for me, but no magic bullet.
WIN ACT is a spray something new you can research. Amazon/ EBay have it.
Alpicort F is a prescription liquid you can research.
So in conclusion, get good natural shampoo/ conditioner. There are brushes for $1 with plastic knobs to stimulate scalp.
Try different things, keep reading, Good luck!
Jim