High formaldehyde in the house because of minoxidil

goulou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello.
Just so you know, i've been using topical minoxidil for several decades now, and have recently bought an air quality analyser (temtop M10i))
I have noticed that right after applying minoxidil on my scalp (I use quite a lot, about 6ml per application), the level of formaldehyde , which is a known carcinogen, and a degradation product of propyleneglycol, skyrockets.

It takes more than 5 hours to go back to an acceptable level.

I now apply it outside so that I don't pollute the air for all my family. I wait 4 minutes after the application and then go back inside, no more pollution.

I notice that of all the chemicals that my family use for personal care, this is, by very far, the one that generates the most formaldehyde.
It saturates the detector (over 2mg/m3), although it's not even in the same room

I wonder if this might not be a general health hazard...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313_175407_Temtop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_175407_Temtop.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Kojakjr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil has tons of research.. Unfortunately for vast majority it is not the answer or any answer. You could inject it into your skull with no perceptible results.
I’ve tried it & still try it in 10 different strengths & formulations with no results.
The potassium connection is the only thing that interests me

goulou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I'm not telling everybody to stop minoxidil.
I'm just warning about a potential issue and how to avoid it.
Honestly if I go outside each time, there's no more problem.

But overwise it does pollute your interior all day long.

As an Exemple I've attached another screen capture, this time about VOC.

You can see there that it goes to critical values as soon as I apply it around 8am, and lasts very long (at 6pm it is still critical, and even on the green part after 6pm it is still above my house normal values).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240319_185951_Temtop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319_185951_Temtop.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 17

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
6ml omg ur dumb AF. U can mix 1 ml into some ethanol/pg instead if u want more liquid to apply. 6ml is 300mg of min rofl.