High "bad" Cholesterol Hair Loss And Statins

HairPro

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been around these forums forever...anyway, I have kept almost all my hair through various procedures which may or may not work for many/most, but have worked for me. Recently my doctor "ordered" me to take a statin for high cholesterol...and after about 20 years' of recommendations, I finally gave in. The only "side effect" I have noticed is that my hair seems thicker...this leads me to think that high "bad" cholesterol can be one of the tangential causes of hair loss by increasing hair-loss hormones onto the follicles/scalp (for those people who's follicles are sensitive to these nasty hormones)...of course the next thought would be: "then how come so many people who are taking statins are still losing their hair?"...good question. But maybe 99% of statins are prescribed to people over 50 or 60 who have already lost most the hair they are going to lose and therefore the stain will do little to improve their status. However, if presumably statins were prescribed to 17-19 year old's (not that I am suggesting that is a good option) but for the sake of this conversation--it may help preserve their hair. I am hypersensitive to how my hair looks 24//7 365, so I am not imagining anything here. As far as I am concerned this is happening and just wanted to report it in case some people here have any thoughts...

Pelimorfo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.
Statins destroy colesterol. And colesterol is needed to create testosteron.
So maybe that is the link.
Statins are related to some sides... low libido i think, and also a higher rate of alzheimer in consumers.
Maybe colesterol is related to hairloss then... but many doctors are saying nowadays that it hasnt any link with heart problems. It was just a myth.

Pelimorfo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. I dont think colesterol is a inportant piece in the baldness puzzle.
Maybe it have something in common because the testosterone.
But sure... most of the hairlossers dont have high colesterol... i eben had a very low one when my emotional-digestive-hairloss problems started.
And i can say more,... my father become norwood 8... while he took statins during years.