Hi, I'm new. Are you long-term users with hair systems happy you started this journey?

zozo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am ~22 years old diffuse thinning and will probably end up NW6-7. I don't think hair transplant is going to be able to recover this and minoxidil + finasteride hasn't been able to stop it (even developing side effects).

I know this might sound crazy, but I literally spend 2 (!) hours styling my hair EVERY morning because minoxidil makes the thinning more evident when you apply it (it's like an oil). So basically spend 2 hours to end up with shitty hair.

My main problem with hair systems is that I don't know if I can do the maintenance alone. The shaving, applying it. Also I don't know how it will hold up during summers when I sweat A LOT. Has anyone been using hair system long term, with exposed hairline, and is happy using it still and think it is worth it? Please let me know.

The only hair salon in my place only has very thick hair systems and maintenance there is very expensive, $200 each visit. I cannot visit them once a week with that price... and their hair systems start at $900.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A hair system isn't too difficult to do once you know the basics.

Hybrid hair system with lace with poly edge or full french lace base is fully breathable.
So warm weather and sweating a lot wouldn't be an issue unlike with full thin skin poly bases which are not breathable.

No exposed hairline with mine. But long term yes, on and off(currently) as I can't wear it during a vestibular migraine flare up or anything on my head during them.

zozo

My Regimen
Reaction score
A hair system isn't too difficult to do once you know the basics.

Hybrid hair system with lace with poly edge or full french lace base is fully breathable.
So warm weather and sweating a lot wouldn't be an issue unlike with full thin skin poly bases which are not breathable.

No exposed hairline with mine. But long term yes, on and off(currently) as I can't wear it during a vestibular migraine flare up or anything on my head during them.
How long time did it take for you to do maintence yourself and how long does it take? Do you remove it once a week?

If you wanted, could you expose the hairline? (would it still look undetectable)

Last edited:

HairsonUnique

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to say if you think you'll end up at that Norwood then keep using finasteride, if you can.

I am glad I started it. It does have drawbacks but hey so does being bald.

Maintenance for me ended up being every week or two. I don't cut my own hair so I need that doing every month at least, but if I had to do the rest myself it's about 45 mins.

I don't expose the hairline. You can depending on a few factors, but I don't care to and it does bring extra maintenance and problems.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
While the salons obviously have an incentive to bring you in more often than reasonable, I do think that maintenance can go a long way to determining whether your use of a system is advisable. I have always cut my own hair since I was 20 so I am pretty decent at doing that and I have been trimming the hair in my photos myself. Know why I don't go to barbers or salons? Because no one is allowed to stand behind me and view my bald spot and that includes people who cut hair. I went once for my wedding, lol and that's basically it. I went bald at 20 and that explains the timing of my newly-found skill!

Hopefully, that trait will be diminished now but on the other hand, I am on guard to any and all assaults from behind.

I would ask how much you can eliminate in cost by cutting your own hair and what others things can be done less often.

Good luck on your new endeavors.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long time did it take for you to do maintence yourself and how long does it take? Do you remove it once a week?

If you wanted, could you expose the hairline? (would it still look undetectable)
Over a few months of learning from online and from previous hair replacement salons who guided me through it...
And maybe an hour or so.

I currently remove it weekly, but would like to try going 2 weeks in the future when I have a full lace base.
Mine is a hybrid lace and poly base and had full poly bases before that, I hated as full poly doesn't breathe.

I never tried to expose the hairline,it's just not my style, but it does have a lace front too.
My custom hair system is lace front, lace centre and poly all around the edges.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Over a few months of learning from online and from previous hair replacement salons who guided me through it...
And maybe an hour or so.

I currently remove it weekly, but would like to try going 2 weeks in the future when I have a full lace base.
Mine is a hybrid lace and poly base and had full poly bases before that, I hated as full poly doesn't breathe.

I never tried to expose the hairline,it's just not my style, but it does have a lace front too.
My custom hair system is lace front, lace centre and poly all around the edges.
Tell us how to save money though without our system looking shabby. We are all just a shed away from needing one...

Janey

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tell us how to save money though without our system looking shabby. We are all just a shed away from needing one...

Janey
You wear a wig not a hair system though,as far as I'm aware?

But there's a resources list I use for hair systems. I don't know everything but I'm much more confident doing maintenance at home now than a few years ago.

My favs I use for advice and maintenance are:

Most of these are youtube channels...

MG Ford(Mike)
Hair Experience(Curtis)
Hair4all
Menshair2go has a very useful online guide.
Hair Direct
Lord Hair

Others such as Jake Kent give half arsed advice. Interesting vids but wouldn't follow his advice though.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

But there's a resources list I use for hair systems. I don't know everything but I'm much more confident doing maintenance at home now than a few years ago.

MG Ford(Mike)
Hair Experience(Curtis)
Hair4all
Hair Direct
Lord Hair

Others such as Jake Kent give half arsed advice. Interesting vids but wouldn't follow his advice though.
Yes but don't discriminate against me, lol. It is still a sort of system and I have said that wigs are wonderfully unfussy compared to systems. The weight itself of the wig keeps it on unless in high winds and then you hold it on like a hat. It is rain-proof and they don't get dirty or smell easily since chemical females tend to lack any sweaty odor. I am at least an honorary member of the club and I advise systems or wigs to everyone as a back-up plan in case of sheds because you have to ride them out or they are no benefit.

Janey

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

MG Ford(Mike)
Hair Experience(Curtis)
Hair4all
Hair Direct
Lord Hair

But are there short-cuts that you have found yet that save money or on travel expense? Can you cut your own hair? I don't let anyone look over my shoulder, not even barbers since I was 20 so embarrassed people like me might have to do everything which I would prefer since I have cut my own hair since I was first thinning on top, not coincidentally, at the age of 20.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes but don't discriminate against me, lol. It is still a sort of system and I have said that wigs are wonderfully unfussy compared to systems. The weight itself of the wig keeps it on unless in high winds and then you hold it on like a hat. It is rain-proof and they don't get dirty or smell easily since chemical females tend to lack any sweaty odor. I am at least an honorary member of the club and I advise systems or wigs to everyone as a back-up plan in case of sheds because you have to ride them out or they are no benefit.

Janey
Wigs is what I first wore sometimes(mainly in pics) before my first hair system in 2017.

Wigs unlike a hair system often look fake and easily fall off.
You can get human hair wigs though, but they are not better than a hair system.
The density is usually also too much for your age.
What someone in their 30's having hair density of what a teenager has for example,is just crazy.
That would seem fake alone.

It makes me feel like a fool in a wig if worn for long. It's nice for taking pics but I wouldn't go beyond that..

Whereas a hair system if I manage to get it the correct density and colour.
It reminds me of when I had hair and the hairstyle I used to have and love and greatly missed...

Edit: I still have my own hair with a hair system, just not on the top.
So a hair system unlike a wig, uses your side/back hair to blend with it.
Which if done correctly, people will think it's your own hair.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wigs is what I first wore sometimes(mainly in pics) before my first hair system in 2017.

What someone in their 30's having hair density of what a teenager has for example,is just crazy.

It makes me feel like a fool in a wig if worn for long. It's nice for taking pics but I wouldn't go beyond that..

It reminds me of when I had hair and the hairstyle I used to have and love and greatly missed...
All true but females generally don't care if people know it's a wig since it shows that we are trying harder, not to mention some guys compliment my hair and seem clueless and shocked when I take it off and hand it to them. We also toss them on without fuss or necessary attention to detail before leaving the house and they brush really nicely almost like real female hair and depending upon style, can add a look of elegance. Traditionally, many women with nice, full heads of hair wear wigs on special occasions and they don't try to hide it really. You my friend, like me, are a hairline spotter so we notice things much more than mere mortals. Being bald gives people like you and me super-powers like spider-sense, we can spot a toupee or bad system at 50 yards. My mother wonders still why I am so excited about regrowth and tells me that women love bald guys and of course this pisses me off because it isn't remotely true for 99 percent of women but maybe she's the one who finds them non-threatening somehow but I digress. <winks>

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Edit: I still have my own hair with a hair system, just not on the top.
So a hair system unlike a wig, uses your side/back hair to blend with it.
Which if done correctly, people will think it's your own hair.
You have really come on HairLossTalk.com all charged up and you are really a benefit to the community of system users and everything really. I commend you on your politeness, attractive face and attractive chosen system style and how open and helpful you are to others.

Janey

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A pic of me in a wig...
I love the classic emo/goth look but it would easily fall off without the beanie.
A full cap hair system I thought of, but I bet that would be even harder to maintain and uncomfortable to sleep in etc...

I'm happy with the style I got with my hair system too!
The side swept fringe is the best part, whilst the sides and back are faded and buzzed which looks more modern and edgy.

And a pic when I used to shave my head...
I like my face but didn't like being bald. And hated having no hairstyle, when I dress alternative.

Attachments

• 74FF4B86-ABB3-4E75-9BB4-1A123D4BFA7F.jpeg
    74FF4B86-ABB3-4E75-9BB4-1A123D4BFA7F.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 104AB9C8-4404-4FCE-BC6B-54644E6196DF.jpeg
    104AB9C8-4404-4FCE-BC6B-54644E6196DF.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 192
  • F3FB3F29-A363-404F-B12B-09E27284D8C3.jpeg
    F3FB3F29-A363-404F-B12B-09E27284D8C3.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 189

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
A pic of me in a wig...
I love the classic emo/goth look but it would easily fall off without the beanie.
A full cap hair system I thought of, but I bet that would be even harder to maintain and uncomfortable to sleep in etc...

The side swept fringe is the best part, whilst the sides and back are faded and buzzed which looks more modern and edgy.

I like my face but didn't like being bald. And hated having no hairstyle, when I dress alternative.
Clothes especially make the bald man and I see that as an aspect to coaching balding guys towards looking their absolute best. We can't just wear the dumpy Wakefield Gym t-shirt with holes in it along with a ratty pair of shorts and one sock, lol. We have to be better than that. Take a look at George Constanza's bizarro double for a nicely dressed bald man and he strikes an appearance much more than George. He is also exceedingly polite.

Last edited:

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
A pic of me in a wig...

Your system looks awesome man. Amazing to see the comparisons.

In response to the OP - yes, I am so happy!

It solves the problem of being bald. What more could you ask for?! Yes, it comes with its own set of challenges, and the learning curve is steep! You'll have moments of doubt, and moments where you feel like the love child of George Clooney and Johnny Depp!

My advice is go for it; whilst you have a decent crop of hair, you'll be able to pull of the transition easier.

Definitely take the time to learn how to maintain yourself. It's a god send. The salons are brilliant for starters, but the sooner you're walking on your own, the better!

And finally, be discerning. Research what is out there, and if it matches what you want to look like, then don't settle for a product that gives you less.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Janey
Was reading this...I assume you are a female going by your photo. If your using a wig...I always wondered why women dont use adhesive like men do? Wouldn't it be better to just rebond every couple weeks and not think about it?

Notdifferent

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A pic of me in a wig...

You didn't ask my opinion but I really think you look best bald out of those 3 pics

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was reading this...I assume you are a female going by your photo. If your using a wig...I always wondered why women dont use adhesive like men do? Wouldn't it be better to just rebond every couple weeks and not think about it?
A full cap hair system would be best.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It stays on fine by the weight of the hair of the wig itself. If there is a huge wind then I hold it on with one hand like your would with a baseball cap but that rarely happens. Wigs require little to no maintenance and females generally don't mind wearing them even or especially on special occasions. I love my wig and I know that people react well to it. I am going to have to decide whether to use my own hair or continue in the wig for business purposes.