Hi everyone,would you say the haircut with a fringe suits me better than long hair?

Trompt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am making one more video of my hair,and i will post some pictures from 2019/2020 when i had short hair,with a fringe,to make a comparison.

It's shocking to see how fat i got,one year ago i was lean and skinny,now i look atrocious and skinny fat(even a guy from a hairloss group said i look bad and older(in a bad sense) for my age. I don't even know if i can rock this hairstyle with a fringe anymore,since i am diffuse thinning and receding rapidly.

(Sorry about being shirtless in some pics,its very hot where i live)

Here are some pictures:

This one is from mid's 2020
s.jpg

This one from early 2020
c.jpg

This from 2019
g.jpg

I think from 2020 or late 2019
e.jpg

From 2020
o.jpg

And here is a video exposing my hairline i just recorded:

Last edited:

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes, but keeps the sides a little shorter still, and more volume on the top. use some sea salt spray with a diffuser on your blow-dryer. maybe some volumizing powder

go for the messy undercut/french crop. ditch the long hair

Trompt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes, but keeps the sides a little shorter still, and more volume on the top. use some sea salt spray with a diffuser on your blow-dryer. maybe some volumizing powder

go for the messy undercut/french crop. ditch the long hair
I wonder why long hair look so bad on me. i let it grow for 1y and 10 months :(

maybe because of my big forehead? I was thinking about cutting my hair at home tho,watchu think?

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder why long hair look so bad on me. i let it grow for 1y and 10 months :(

maybe because of my big forehead? I was thinking about cutting my hair at home tho,watchu think?

only very few men can get away with long hair tbh. unless you're going for that soft, androgenous aesthetic, most men grow a beard or stubble to make the look more masculine

it is what it is. doesn't suit me much either. even a buzz looks better on me. most men look their best with a medium long and youthful style. you have the volume to pull it off

go to a barber bro, unless you're 100% sure what you're doing

Trompt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
only very few men can get away with long hair tbh. unless you're going for that soft, androgenous aesthetic, most men grow a beard or stubble to make the look more masculine

it is what it is. doesn't suit me much either. even a buzz looks better on me. most men look their best with a medium long and youthful style. you have the volume to pull it off

go to a barber bro, unless you're 100% sure what you're doing
My beard is patchy af,cant even call it a beard.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man I wish I was still able to grow my hair long-ish, now I just look like a serial killer if I do that.

But I agree with the others that the shorter cut looks better on you.

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My beard is patchy af,cant even call it a beard.

funny, I was just complaining about the same thing in a different thread. mine is fucked as well. worst thing is that for the most part it grows thick and fast af so I need to shave every other day while still having patches the don't fill in

Trompt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man I wish I was still able to grow my hair long-ish, now I just look like a serial killer if I do that.

But I agree with the others that the shorter cut looks better on you.
I grew it out out of curiosity and to distinguish from everyone else,because these days every guys has the same generic haircut and they all look the same,so with long hair i would have my own style. But it turned out i don't look good with it,my family compliments me on my hair,but i know they do that to gaslight me,not out of sincerity.

Trompt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
funny, I was just complaining about the same thing in a different thread. mine is fucked as well. worst thing is that for the most part it grows thick and fast af so I need to shave every other day while still having patches the don't fill in
Exactly,it grows freaking fast and thick,but patchy as hell. i have to shave it every week,its a pain in the ***. Also,finasteride will just make it even more patchy

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
I grew it out out of curiosity and to distinguish from everyone else,because these days every guys has the same generic haircut and they all look the same,so with long hair i would have my own style. But it turned out i don't look good with it,my family compliments me on my hair,but i know they do that to gaslight me,not out of sincerity.
Nah nothing wrong with experimenting and growing it out and such, now you can better know what suits you and not, and it's also nice to have tried it.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
What norwood are u?
Basically NW3, like my recession doesn't go as far back as in the Norwood chart, but it curves inwards and I have this "Jude Law" hairline forming (not as bad as him but it is appearing, when wet or if I just really mess it up and is under bright lighting I look basically like that). I also have thinning in the front, although the midscalp and crown are still thick. I'm hoping that finasteride can stop it and I might consider getting a hair transplant in the future to get back to a NW2, although I'm not completely sure, we'll see. Don't have any money or resources to do that now, so it's a long term ambition lol.

Trompt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah nothing wrong with experimenting and growing it out and such, now you can better know what suits you and not, and it's also nice to have tried it.
True man. Im afraid of going to a barber,everytime i do they f*** it up with the haircut. Also,i have fine hair,i have to use a pomade to keep it in place everytime i go out,i dont know if there is a haircut that stays in place without applying product into it

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Basically NW3, like my recession doesn't go as far back as in the Norwood chart, but it curves inwards and I have this "Jude Law" hairline forming (not as bad as him but it is appearing, when wet or if I just really mess it up and is under bright lighting I look basically like that). I also have thinning in the front, although the midscalp and crown are still thick. I'm hoping that finasteride can stop it and I might consider getting a hair transplant in the future to get back to a NW2, although I'm not completely sure, we'll see. Don't have any money or resources to do that now, so it's a long term ambition lol.

how's your donor? if you can stabilize at NW3 without crown thinning you could transplant a NW1

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
how's your donor? if you can stabilize at NW3 without crown thinning you could transplant a NW1
I'd say it's pretty good, I've actually been told that the back is really thick. Although I'm kinda worried of getting a full blown NW1 transplanted not because it's gonna look "muh unnatural" in old age like many say (which is nonsense) but I have very aggressive hair loss genes, like I started rapidly balding at 16 and by 17-18 my hair was pretty much like it currently is (maybe I've lost some small ground since then though, I'm 20 now) and idk how I will respond to finasteride and such, so it's kinda better imo to be a bit more conservative.

Besides I don't really care too much about having a perfect hairline, I just don't want it to look completely stupid like it does on NW3 and 4. Although if hair cloning was available and affordable I'd get a thick af NW1 no doubt.

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd say it's pretty good, I've actually been told that the back is really thick. Although I'm kinda worried of getting a full blown NW1 transplanted not because it's gonna look "muh unnatural" in old age like many say (which is nonsense) but I have very aggressive hair loss genes, like I started rapidly balding at 16 and by 17-18 my hair was pretty much like it currently is (maybe I've lost some small ground since then though, I'm 20 now) and idk how I will respond to finasteride and such, so it's kinda better imo to be a bit more conservative.

Besides I don't really care too much about having a perfect hairline, I just don't want it to look completely stupid like it does on NW3 and 4. Although if hair cloning was available and affordable I'd get a thick af NW1 no doubt.

it's the optimal approach indeed, if you're young it's best to be conservative.

that's the true nightmare of this disease, you can be in remission for decades and suddenly it kicks into gear and you lose two norwoods in a matter of months

nw2 looks good as well. there's an aesthetic difference between a nw2 and 1, but, depending on the height of your native hairline, it can be trivial. and actually, personally, on some men with very low foreheads, I sometimes prefer a nw2 to a completely straight hairline. can look very classy and masculine

alas I started off with a slightly taller forehead; the same length as the lower third of my face, so every mm I lose my looks take a noticeable hit. a nw2 is really suboptimal in my case

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
it's the optimal approach indeed, if you're young it's best to be conservative.

that's the true nightmare of this disease, you can be in remission for decades and suddenly it kicks into gear and you lose two norwoods in a matter of months

nw2 looks good as well. there's an aesthetic difference between a nw2 and 1, but, depending on the height of your native hairline, it can be trivial. and actually, personally, on some men with very low foreheads, I sometimes prefer a nw2 to a completely straight hairline. can look very classy and masculine

alas I started off with a slightly taller forehead; the same length as the lower third of my face, so every mm I lose my looks take a noticeable hit. a nw2 is really suboptimal in my case
I never had an amazing hairline to begin with and I always had it covered anyway with my hair until balding made that hard to do, so just settling with a decently thick NW2 is not an issue for me. I'd want to start out small, maybe like 1500 grafts, 500 for each of the receded corners and then 500 to improve my forelock, that sounds like a decent plan for me. Then I'll have a lot of other grafts that I can use for the rest of my head if finasteride doesn't maintain anymore, though my end Norwood will probably be a "NW6.5" so I don't think I can get a super thick crown back when/if it disappears. But since I'm planning to use finasteride for the indefinite foreseeable future I hope that won't happen before I'm like over 40, it's passable to have some crown thinning then so it's not that big of a deal to not have a super thick crown.

Yeah it really depends on your forehead size considering how recession will look on someone (I also have a large forehead and head in general). But in terms of just how recession overall looks, I'd say a pointed sharply defined receded hairline isn't a big deal for most men, at risk of sounding like I'm coping I think it can look kinda cool on some guys. It's more when it curves inwards and/or get's really rounded off in the corners that it looks silly imo.