Hey! 19 year old from Southern California *HELP*!

SeanFromCA

Reaction score
Hey what's up
First off, a hello to everybody on this board, seems like an amazing website!

I'm 19 from southern california, and i've joined this message forum for a little bit of advice! I'm not experiencing any major hair loss yet, but i am noticing in the very front that i'm losing a little bit of hair, and at the very front, my hair is slowly thinning out, Now does anybody have any advice on what I can use? I'm willing to purchase anything in order to further prevent my hair from falling out in the future years to come. I'm open to any advice, so if you feel like sharing, please go right ahead

Thank you all for reading, I appreciate it!

Sean-

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The big three, mate. finasteride/min/nizoral. There are a hundred treatments available, but those are the few, the proud, the proven.

My reccomendation is to start taking Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar), and use Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week. Because you have not lost much, including Minoxidil is not worth it.

Be sure to read up on the effects of Finasteride before starting. Some refuse to take it because of the "risks", but most of us are thrilled with the drug. It certainly haulted my loss.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch minoxidil yet if you just have some minor thinning up front.
Your best option is 1mg finasteride (propecia) and start using Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week. There's 2 types of Nizoral shampoo 1% and 2%. 1% can be found in your local drug store. 2% requires a prescription or you can get it online without one from http://www.canadapharmacy.com .
Nizoral is a anti-dandruff shampoo but there's a study floating around showing it has simular regrowth properties to 2% minoxidil.
There are a couple other options available to you but the finasteride/nizoral combo seems to be the most effective.

G

Take some time and read through some posts on this site. I have been doing that for about 6 months now and i have gone from knowing very little abouit hairloss, to knowing more than any of the derms and GP's I have spoken to.

You really need to consider getting on Finasteride, if you want to halt your thinning. I appreciate many people are concerned over the side-effects of the drug but I really do feel they are few and far-between and only effect about 1-2% of users. Many people (including myself) experience an initial problem in the c*** department (either a lowering of libido or some occasional erectile dysfunction) however most people's reported problems go away after a couple of weeks of continued use, and IMHO, I feel that the majority of these cases are psychological. I swear that hardly anyone would reported boner/libido trouble if they didnt read about the side effects beforehand.

Other than a slight increase in general health, natural supplements will do jack for your hair.

Nizoral is good stuff, so stick with that but use a good moistruising conditioner after as it is prone to drying your hair out and can sometimes make you think its no good for your hair.

Get on the finasteride buddy, see what your hair is like after a year's continued use, if its much worse you may want to consider using minoxidil, but i'll bet you will be pleased with your results.

I think the key to combatting hairloss is to get on finasteride and Nizoral (and maybe minoxidil depending on your severity of hairloss) and then forgetting about it for a while.

I have a suggested plan for you and anyone else who is experiencing the first stages of hairloss:

1. Take some time to read up and research hairloss on this site by looking back through threads and searching on topics relevant to yourself.
2. Read up on posts from experienced and helpful Forum Members on this site. IMHO, if you want honest, accurate and helpful advice look at posts from the Moderators (HairLossTalk.com, TynanW, Axon, Cassin)
3. Take photographs of your balding areas now and every month but try and keep them at the same angle, lighting, time of day and distance from your head. This will show you your progress in a true light.
4. Get on Finasteride now, either from your doctor, derm or order from a legit website(this could be your first search topic).
5. Get a haircut that is easy to maintain/style
6. Go to the gym, go out have a good time, bang your GF or some sl*ts you meet, play sports, be good to your family and friends, work hard and try and advance your career. Basically do everything else that makes you a better person and feel good about yourself.
7. Don't visit this site to often and dont read posts with titles like: 'hairloss has ruined my life' etc.
8. Try you hardest not to think about hairloss all of the time.
9. Be positive - this can truly help.

Over and out.

SeanFromCA

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback everybody
Im going to purchase some Nizoral from the market tomorrow and begin using that weekly, but i'm still debating on the Propecia, It seems very expensive, any other type of products i can use? Or is Propecia one of the only ways I can retain my hair before it's too late?

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would actually go to the doctor first and take blood tests,etc. to rule out other possiblities like thyroid problems and such,if all checks out..then get on the finasteride.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I would definitely start with the Nizoral, that is a good call. You might consider finasteride if your hairloss seems to accelerate. At your age, I got some similar frontal recession but after a few months of what seemed to be rapid recession, it actually came to a stop on its own.

My hairloss, and I believe the same applies to many here, does not happen in a continuous pattern of constant recession. It usually comes in marked stages of noticeable recession, followed by a few years of relative stability, and then the recession starts again.. and so on and so on. So, given your age, you might consider just trying the Nizoral which should help reduce any irritation associated with your hairloss (which is a good thing to fight hairloss), and it is also proven to have hair rejuvination properties similar to 2% Minoxidil, and see what direction your scalp goes in. Your recession might stop on its own.

If you start seeing thinning in your temples, then hop on the finasteride. Just my take, my opinion. You can go either way with the finasteride call, but I would definitely NOT recommend minoxidil for someone at your hairloss stage.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SeanFromCA said:
thanks for the feedback everybody
Im going to purchase some Nizoral from the market tomorrow and begin using that weekly, but i'm still debating on the Propecia, It seems very expensive, any other type of products i can use? Or is Propecia one of the only ways I can retain my hair before it's too late?
Finasteride is by far your best bet. Finasteride comes in three forms: Propecia, Proscar, and Generic. Propecia is for hairloss, and is 1mg. Proscar is for enlarged prostates, but is still the exact same drug in 5mg form. The generic stuff comes in boths sizes and is made from Cipla in India.

If you notice my sig, I take 1.25 mg of finasteride a day. This is because it is much easier to split Proscar into quarters then it is into fifths. A lot of us do this, because mg for mg, Proscar is much cheaper then Propecia. I just ordered an 8 month supply from Canada for $120. So its costing me $15 a month, as opposed to the $50 or so you might pay for Propecia. If you went the generic route, you could have it for half that price, and many here will swear by the reliability of authentic Cipla finasteride.