here is a a way to study yr family history of baldness and gauge yr own outcome

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
U cant inherit the major foundational gene for male pattern baldness from the paternal side because the father only contributes a Y to make u XY (male) ..The MBP gene reside on the X which is inherited from the maternal side of the family with an history of MBP who contrributed XX to yr mum. One of the X ( yr maternal grandfather or yr mum ) came to u. So its all to do with yr mother side of family, if u have bald maternal grandfathers like yr mum's father or her own maternal uncles or brothers , u likely to bald as well . The word here is likely.. but there is a chance 50-50 chance u will not., depending on which X u inherited from yr mum;s side.

Remember females have been carrying the Baldness gene on one of their Xs all along but it did not manifest itself on them or their daughters but rather on their sons and brothers, Since yr mum is XX ( 2 Xs) its either of the 2 below:

U inherited:

The X of yr mum inherited from her own mum ( yr maternal grandmum) who has the baldness on X
the X of yr mum's father ( yr maternal grandfather) who has baldness on X

In my case

my maternal grandmum has brothers who are bald. But her husband ( my maternal grandfather is not bald)
My mum could have inherited the baldness X from her own mum, or her father ( my maternal grndfather)
She passed it on to me as X ( with baldness) + Y ( my father) = I am XY. As u can see why my father has nothign to do with baldness beacuse he did not contribute an X.

But looking at myself i am not bald . only expereincing a very slow thinning male pattern baldness . the temples have resided but not as bad.. it follows almost the same pattern as my maternal grandfather ( my mum's fatther) who at old age of 60s passed away with some hair but not totally bald. just a NW1-2 .
So its most likely i got my baldness X from my maternal grandfather...if i were to inherit the baldness X from my grandmum who has bald brothers, i would have been totally bald by now ( my age 42) because they , my grandmum's brothers were bald at 40 years of age

The key here is to look at these people especially their younger and current family photographs to study their hair loss pattern:

Yr maternal grandmum's brothers
Yr mum's father
Yr mum's brothers

T0 find out who u inherited the problem from.

For my own example:

my maternal grandmum's brothers ( bald after 40 )
my mum's father ( not bald/ NW1-2)
my mum's brothers ( not bald/ thinning hair after 50 )

I have the same pattern as my maternal gradnfather

So its likely that i have inherited the baldness X from my grandfather since my
my mum's father ( not bald/ NW1-2)
my mum's brothers ( not bald/ 1 of them thinning hair after 50 )

Last edited:

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lets take another example :

On yr maternal side

A: yr maternal Grandmum has bald brothers ( the defective X is running on that line) . the Bald X was inherited from their own maternal grandfather
B: Yr maternal grandfather is not bald ( who came from outside yr maternal family line)
C : Yr mum has brothers ( yr maternal uncles) who are not bald ( therefore a defective X was not passed down from yr grandmum )

yr mum had a son which is u. Will u go bald? Not likely , because looking at scenario A : yr maternal Grandmum has bald brothers ( the defective X is running on that line) when she gave birth to yr mum and her brothers. the gene was not passed down as yr mum;s brothers are not bald.

yr mum got XX ( an X from her own father which is yr maternal grandfather )

And u as her son is XY . the X which is from yr own mum who in turn got it from her own father who is not bald

jakethesnakedr

My Regimen
Reaction score
This isn't true, you can definitely inherit balding from your dads side. That being said, I do think a balding relative on either side almost always guarentees somebody to start balding to a degree because it is a dominant trait (eg having a maternal grandfather with perfect hair but a bald dad will not save you, and vice versa)

just looking at my own balding pattern it seems to be in between my dad's and maternal grandfathers

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This isn't true, you can definitely inherit balding from your dads side. That being said, I do think a balding relative on either side almost always guarentees somebody to start balding to a degree because it is a dominant trait (eg having a maternal grandfather with perfect hair but a bald dad will not save you, and vice versa)

just looking at my own balding pattern it seems to be in between my dad's and maternal grandfathers
so whats yr family history is like? well u may have inherited the defective X from yr grandmum or mum and not yr grandad.. but coincidentally since yr dad is bald it gives that impression that u inherited it from him which we know its not likely

2 studies:

Moreover, the AR gene is on chromosome Xq11.2–q12 and therefore could not explain the similar hair loss patterns shared between father and sons, as observed in an earlier study on the same population, where 32 of 54 bald cases (59.3%) had fathers with a greater degree of baldness, and only one of 65 sons of 50 nonbald controls had type III baldness or greater (
Ellis et al., 1998
).

Last edited:

jakethesnakedr

My Regimen
Reaction score
so whats yr family history is like? well u may have inherited the defective X from yr grandmum or mum and not yr grandad.. but coincidentally since yr dad is bald it gives that impression that u inherited it from him which we know its not likely

2 studies:

the study you quoted literally says the AR inheritence can't explain why people seem to get baldness from their dad's side. Meaning it comes from both sides

everybody in my family has hair except my maternal grandfather, including my maternal grandmothers side

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the study you quoted literally says the AR inheritence can't explain why people seem to get baldness from their dad's side. Meaning it comes from both sides

everybody in my family has hair except my maternal grandfather, including my maternal grandmothers side
well the the references to the 2 studies states otherwise..

jakethesnakedr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its very clear that hairloss doesn't just come from your moms side because if that was true then every set of brothers would have the same hairloss pattern

and as far as I can read the study, its literally saying that people who don't have a bald dad are less likely to go bald overall

Balding is not X linked as much as people want to believe, its actually an autosomal dominant trait and polygenic (so while the AR is a big factor its only part of the picture)

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its very clear that hairloss doesn't just come from your moms side because if that was true then every set of brothers would have the same hairloss pattern

and as far as I can read the study, its literally saying that people who don't have a bald dad are less likely to go bald overall

Balding is not X linked as much as people want to believe, its actually an autosomal dominant trait and polygenic (so while the AR is a big factor its only part of the picture)
Well the study above referenced statistics that say those whose dad's were bald, had less baldness. If it was inherited from the dad then they would have been bald as well....