Herbal Recomendations For Hairloss.................

chris21

Reaction score
Hi all.

Besides Arginine, what are other vitamins, herbs, etc. to take for male pattern baldness?

Thanks.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread needs to take a little cruise down Unproven Treatments Avenue... 8) He He... Doin a little moderating myself HairLossTalk.com, although I know you guys doin a hella good job not misleading people around here. Keep up the good work!

Chris, Chuck and Hate, all these vitamins will assist with sex drive loss after treating with Propecia, but they will have little or no direct possitive effect on hair. You must get on the proven treatments regradless of the matter. There are no known proven natural treatments to date, and we must wait for trials to depend soley on natural remedies before walking off the Propecia plank. My $0.5...

Peace!

XL

hate2shed

Established Member
Reaction score
well i noticed my hair started growing faster after taking 200Mg grape seeds everyday
yes!!
8)

chuckfrasher

Reaction score
xzellerate said:
This thread needs to take a little cruise down Unproven Treatments Avenue... 8) He He... Doin a little moderating myself HairLossTalk.com, although I know you guys doin a hella good job not misleading people around here. Keep up the good work!

Chris, Chuck and Hate, all these vitamins will assist with sex drive loss after treating with Propecia, but they will have little or no direct possitive effect on hair. You must get on the proven treatments regradless of the matter. There are no known proven natural treatments to date, and we must wait for trials to depend soley on natural remedies before walking off the Propecia plank. My $0.5...

Peace!

XL

Proven? I'm not sure what kind of proof you are looking for but there is certainly good evidence for arginine. The reason being is that it is the direct precurser to nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide is thought to be the chemical messenger responsible for stimulating regrowth from minoxidil--hence the NO in miNOxidil. I spoke to Dr. Proctor about this. I consider him to be a pretty reliable source. Durk Pearson (physicist) and Sandy Shaw (biochemist) have been researching these things for years and I also consider them to be pretty reliable sources. There is evidentally evidence that B2 is an alpha reductase inhibitor to some degree (Riboflavin, a testosterone 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor.
Nakayama O, Yagi M, Kiyoto S, Okuhara M, Kohsaka M.
Exploratory Research Laboratories, Fujisawa Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Ibaraki, Japan) and there is evidence that l-cysteine can speed up hair growth. These are certainly not the foundation of my treatment. In fact, right now, I am not taking any supplements except C, E, and b-complex. However, this dose not mean that they cannot have a beneficial effect as part of an overall regimen.

Stingray

Reaction score
There is scientific proof that nitric oxide and L-Arginine are bed buddies, however, there is no scientific proof that it has anything to do with the resuscitation of hair follicles. Propecia and minoxidil though...do.

Oh yea, saw palmetto is pimp sh*t yo. 2nd week on that stuff, and it might be in my mind, but i think my shedding is down to like 20 or 30 hairs a day max. So it's 2 thumbs up to the vile smelling weed known as serenoa repens. Ugh, that sh*t tastes horrible when it comes back up when you burp.

G

eating two slices of white bread at 7am greenwich mean time whilst standing on one leg humming the national anthem of greenland helps hair loss.

its unproven but it cant do any harm and may help...

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't really monitor shedding anymore since my hair is shaved to micro levels, but I'm sure that with only 8 gel caps of SP remaining, tolerance has begun. After I wipe that bottle down, I will then rest for 2-3 weeks, then start over. Thursday is the big day for double minoxidil, so DHT inhibition can afford to take a lil rest.

Hollywood, you are one funny guy but you are only validating my comment. I never said that vitamins or herbs may be detrimental to hair loss. What I did say is that there is no way it can directly stimulate hair follicles which is what you want to regrow or at least maintain your hair as Stingray added before. I myself take many vitamins and herbs in the form on one multi with extra GSE and SP, and I feel that everything in conjunction sets a good stage for the proven treatments to work, but they don't substitute them. The proven treatments are the main key elements and are the components that you should never remove from your regimens, added vitamins or not. They are the workhorses of treating hair loss. Nothing can take their place for the time being.

Peace dawgs,

XL

chuckfrasher

Reaction score
Stingray said:
There is scientific proof that nitric oxide and L-Arginine are bed buddies, however, there is no scientific proof that it has anything to do with the resuscitation of hair follicles. Propecia and minoxidil though...do.

Oh yea, saw palmetto is pimp sh*t yo. 2nd week on that stuff, and it might be in my mind, but i think my shedding is down to like 20 or 30 hairs a day max. So it's 2 thumbs up to the vile smelling weed known as serenoa repens. Ugh, that sh*t tastes horrible when it comes back up when you burp.

It is thought that NO plays the role in minoxidil's ability to stimulate regrowth. I am surprised that you are you unaware of this.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
chuckfrasher said:
It is thought that NO plays the role in minoxidil's ability to stimulate regrowth. I am surprised that you are you unaware of this.

That was Oxhide's speculation back in the days. He was either banned from this site, or he left because his treatment methods probably proved unsuccessful in the long run. Either way, he is not here to defend an argument, so I will not take this any further. Basic studies show that NO will indeed have the same effect as minoxidil under the scalp, however, no clinical trials or other means of proof is available. For now, we'll just stay with topical. there's a saying that says: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Matta fact, this might be my new signature...

XL

Stingray

Reaction score
Nitric oxide plays a ROLE in the hair follicle stimulation, however there were clinical studies with nitric oxide on the follicles with no results. The exact method minoxidil uses to stimulate regrowth is completely unknown and baffles physicians.

And yes I did know that NO is a key ingredient in hair keratinazation....however it's not the magic chemical that reverses hairloss. Try it if you like.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
With breakfast or dinner? I think I'll just mix mine with my next beer...

XL

Stingray

Reaction score
It tastes great crushed up and mixed with cheerios and a martini.

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all, arginine does NOT help in male pattern baldness under current scientific understanding. Arginine is converted into Nitric Oxide by Nitric Oxide Synthase. NO is released by the endothelial linings of blood vessels to dilate them. Minoxidil in no way is part of this pathway. Favorable opinion suggests minoxidil opens the Potassium channels of cells, which cause an influx of Potassium. This causes the cell to become hyperpolarized and is why it is used to treat hypertension. The hyperpolarization plays a role in voltage conductance of cells, and I would speculate the change in polarity of these cells somehow induces the translation (protein synthesis) to begin in hair follicles.

D

diskobox

Reaction score
xzellerate said:
There are no known proven natural treatments to date, and we must wait for trials to depend soley on natural remedies before walking off the Propecia plank. My $0.5...
Trials will never happen. You can't patent anything natural.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll be staying aboard the propecia boat for a while then! Sup Disko, long time no see. How's the thyroid? No bible paragraphs please!

XL

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Alternatives - Epilobium

An alternative for people to research who do not want to go down the Propecia route is Epilobium:

Epilobium is a plant used in Central Europe for the treatment of prostate disorders. Research has shown it to inhibit the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by activity of 5-alpha-reductase and aromatase(the group of enzymes that catalyze the conversion of testosterone to estradiol) ), two enzymes which are involved in the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The main polyphenols responsible for the inhibition of the these enzymes have been identified as oenothein A and oenothein B

Check out some studies on PubMed (last study is in vivo) :
(1) [Isolation of the antiphlogistic principle from Epilobium angustifolium]. Hiermann A; Reidlinger M; Juan H; Sametz W. Planta Med, 57(4):357-60 1991 Aug.

(2) Inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase and aromatase by the ellagitannins oenothein A and oenothein B from Eqilobium species. Ducrey B; Marston A; Gohring S; Hartmann RW; Hostettmann K.. Planta Med, 63(2):111-1 1997 Apr.

(3) Determination of oenothein B as the active 5-alpha-reductase-inhibiting principle of the folk medicine Epilobium parviflorum. Lesuisse D, et al. J Nat Prod, 59(5):490-2 1996 May.

(4) Polyphenols from Bulgarian medicinal plants with anti-infectious activity. Ivancheva S; Manolova N; Serkedjieva J; Dimov V; Ivanovska N. Basic Life Sci, 59():717-28 1992.