Help With Mental Side Effects?

thedude90

Reaction score
I am a 23 year old male who has been taking 1mg of propecia for about 5 months. Lately I have been experiencing the symptoms known as "brain fog". Everyday I feel dizzy and I feel a sense of detachment and confusion.

Hopefully I don't sound like some wacko trying to spread nonsensical propaganda because I have read sites where people say this is a load of b.s. At the same time I have also read where this is a real symptom.

I was wondering if this symptom is really rare and that's why know one talks about it...or if its actually a frequently occurring problem. Even if it is a rare problem those few people who do have side effects should be taken seriously and not ignored.

Anyway I have been going through alot of stress lately...but I have never had a sense of feeling like a zombie....also the symptoms brain fog fit me perfectly. I also don't feel like I'm fabricating my symptoms out of sheer stress and hypochondria.

I also called the doctor who does the actual hair transplant and he basically treated me like an idiot and told me he has never heard of that symptom...even though I have read numerous topics about brain fog on hair loss forums.

I will probably stop taking propecia as well.
My main questions are

What's going on with me is this normal??
I heard these symptoms are irreversible....is this true???....am I permanently brain damaged or something??
Are sites like propeciahelp.com just bogus horror stories?
Any help would be immensely appreciated. I feel scared and I want to return to my normal self.

Thanks.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
if you think it's genuinely caused by Finasteride and not by your stress or other issues, then stop taking it for a while and see if it goes away. I'm sure it won't be a permanent thing

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your doctor is right - "brain fog" isn't a recognized medical condition or symptom. It's a term more commonly used by practitioners of alternative medicine. Not to say the symptoms you are experiencing aren't real, but that's why your doctor hadn't heard of it before.

Brain fog (when I use this term, I mean the symptoms most commonly associated with it) is strongly associated with anxiety. Finasteride hasn't been clinically associated with these symptoms in placebo controlled studies, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Some recent studies have indicated that finasteride may have some effect on neurosteroid levels, but there is no evidence that these changes are permanent, except possibly in very rare cases.

It's much more likely that your brain fog is being caused by anxiety. In fact, worrying about brain fog is enough to actually cause it to happen. That's how anxiety works.

I agree with Quantum - try coming off it for a while to see if your symptoms improve.

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
Hello theDude90,
Hope your alright man. I have a thread below as im going through the same stuff you are & i also did previously on my first Propecia attempt which i took for 5 months over a year ago. In my first post in the below thread i posted a link to my original freak out a year ago. It might help you. I think if people have an underlying depression no matter how big or small then finasteride will exacerbate it which will make a person anxious which causes all sorts of problems. Anxiety will drive you mad. Anyway if your having trouble sleeping i recommend taking something to chill you out like Valium or something. It will help you get good rest. Right now im dealing with a sort of mental numbness or depersonalisation. Does that sound familiar to how you feel? Ive had a better morning than ive had in a long while though. Baby steps.
Anyway you got a friend here so ill support you if you return the favour. Deal?
Have a good weekend.We can do this.
And oh yeah, just give up the Propecia. Its not worth this hassle.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The drug is documented to inhibit 5AR/3a-HSD reduced neurosteroids such as Allopregnanolone and THDOC, which are implicated in mood disorders, depression and anxiety.

Depression is also now a possible side effect listed on the label due to recent scrutiny of this fact.

Get off the drug and most likely your symptoms will improve over time.

I am a 23 year old male who has been taking 1mg of propecia for about 5 months. Lately I have been experiencing the symptoms known as "brain fog". Everyday I feel dizzy and I feel a sense of detachment and confusion.

Hopefully I don't sound like some wacko trying to spread nonsensical propaganda because I have read sites where people say this is a load of b.s. At the same time I have also read where this is a real symptom.

I was wondering if this symptom is really rare and that's why know one talks about it...or if its actually a frequently occurring problem. Even if it is a rare problem those few people who do have side effects should be taken seriously and not ignored.

Anyway I have been going through alot of stress lately...but I have never had a sense of feeling like a zombie....also the symptoms brain fog fit me perfectly. I also don't feel like I'm fabricating my symptoms out of sheer stress and hypochondria.

I also called the doctor who does the actual hair transplant and he basically treated me like an idiot and told me he has never heard of that symptom...even though I have read numerous topics about brain fog on hair loss forums.

I will probably stop taking propecia as well.
My main questions are

What's going on with me is this normal??
I heard these symptoms are irreversible....is this true???....am I permanently brain damaged or something??
Are sites like propeciahelp.com just bogus horror stories?
Any help would be immensely appreciated. I feel scared and I want to return to my normal self.

Thanks.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
The drug is documented to inhibit 5AR/3a-HSD reduced neurosteroids such as Allopregnanolone and THDOC, which are implicated in mood disorders, depression and anxiety.

Depression is also now a possible side effect listed on the label due to recent scrutiny of this fact.

it's been speculated, not proven.

If you look at the side effects label for most medications these days, it's common to see mental health effects such as depression almost invariably listed as a 'possible side effect' (including anti-depressant drugs, strangely enough.) So it isn't only Finasteride

balding also causes major depression and anxieties, so you have to weigh up which is the lesser of the two evils

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
See study excerpts and screenshots:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...-side-effect?p=1000454&viewfull=1#post1000454

The drug inhibits neurosteroids in humans. If you want to argue otherwise, contact the study authors.

it's been speculated, not proven.

If you look at the side effects label for most medications these days, it's common to see mental health effects such as depression almost invariably listed as a 'possible side effect' (including anti-depressant drugs, strangely enough.) So it isn't only Finasteride

balding also causes major depression and anxieties, so you have to weigh up which is the lesser of the two evils

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello theDude90,
Hope your alright man. I have a thread below as im going through the same stuff you are & i also did previously on my first Propecia attempt which i took for 5 months over a year ago. In my first post in the below thread i posted a link to my original freak out a year ago. It might help you. I think if people have an underlying depression no matter how big or small then finasteride will exacerbate it which will make a person anxious which causes all sorts of problems. Anxiety will drive you mad. Anyway if your having trouble sleeping i recommend taking something to chill you out like Valium or something. It will help you get good rest. Right now im dealing with a sort of mental numbness or depersonalisation. Does that sound familiar to how you feel? Ive had a better morning than ive had in a long while though. Baby steps.
Hey I’m going through this and I feel horrible. Any update from you? I stopped three days ago but still feel the mental effects

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello theDude90,
Can you update me on this please?