Help With Custom System Hair Color Match

jmm0548

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all - I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

I ordered my first custom hair system and sent in a sample of bio hair. I have since received my system but noticed that the hair color is not close to my bio hair color. For whatever reason, my hair looks darker after cutting it off? I was hoping that sending in a hair sample would still help but the color is noticeably off. I still need to do a cut-in but i don't believe that would necessarily change too much.

I have included pictures of my hair next to the hair system as well as a picture of someone else that I assume more closely resembles my hair color (I have no reason to believe he is wearing a system). Anyone have any thoughts on what my natural hair color is and what I would need to do to make my hair more closely match?

If I am able to identify my hair color more specifically, I may inquire about stock systems and then once custom orders reopen send in a new sample.

Any thoughts and/or help is much appreciated! Thank you!

255E3081-86B1-43BC-8C47-7CA7BB8C471D.JPG haircolor.PNG

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see the difference; I think even taking into account lighting differences, the hair system is at least a shade or two. From the photos, your system looks to be a #4/#5 with red tones, and your hair looks more blond with red, inside, and more red, outside. I don't have my color rings with me... so I am just best guessing.

You should immediately contact the factory and let them know that they made a mistake, you should NOT do a cut in, they need to make this good, and offer a free replacement (including shipping).

If they can't do it... find someone who can.

jmm0548

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight, BaldBearded. I was nervous about the hair sample. For whatever reason, when I cut my hair, the cut off hair always looks darker. I provided that info and was hoping that they would still be able to get it to a good match.

Do you think based on my hair color, a stock system would be available? I would much rather do a custom order each time but given the current happenings in the world as well as this experience I'm somewhat apprehensive.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just pulled out my color samples, and from what I see (and don't hold me to this) the system is looking like a #6R (red tones) and your own hair maybe a #30R, but again, there is a lot at play... your camera, flash, internet, my computer...

As @TheLoneWigMaker mentioned in his post, color is also based on light. If you say your hair looks darker once it's cut, it could be lighting. If you are in natural light, and you place the system on your head, does it look OK? compare it side by side with your own hair.

Do that check first, and then lets take it from there.

jmm0548

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I place the system on my head, you can definitely tell a difference between my natural hair and the system. I cut a piece off my bio hair and placed it on the system. Depending on the lighting, it does match but in more natural lighting, the system is brown and my bio hair is more naturally red.

I did reach out to the manufacturer about the color match.

I had done a remote cut-in prior to receiving the system. Although she did really cut much off it seems. Not sure how that'll impact things so we'll see. I am fine with keeping the system but any advice on re-coloring would be appreciated. I took a piece of bio hair last night and cut it. In certain lighting it matches both the system and placing in back up to my actual hair. However, it more natural sun lighting, the bio hair looks more auburn than brown.

If custom orders re-open then I can certainly send a larger sample size. Maybe that'll help with accuracy.. I believe when I took this sample, I took it from the top of my head on the side? It has been a while so I can't remember.

I don't know if it would be helpful to purchase a hair dye closer to my bio hair and use that to lighten up/match the system?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I place the system on my head, you can definitely tell a difference between my natural hair and the system. I cut a piece off my bio hair and placed it on the system. Depending on the lighting, it does match but in more natural lighting, the system is brown and my bio hair is more naturally red.

I did reach out to the manufacturer about the color match.

I had done a remote cut-in prior to receiving the system. Although she did really cut much off it seems. Not sure how that'll impact things so we'll see. I am fine with keeping the system but any advice on re-coloring would be appreciated. I took a piece of bio hair last night and cut it. In certain lighting it matches both the system and placing in back up to my actual hair. However, it more natural sun lighting, the bio hair looks more auburn than brown.

If custom orders re-open then I can certainly send a larger sample size. Maybe that'll help with accuracy.. I believe when I took this sample, I took it from the top of my head on the side? It has been a while so I can't remember.

I don't know if it would be helpful to purchase a hair dye closer to my bio hair and use that to lighten up/match the system?

It could be that the system has ash tones, and your bio hair has red tones. You can't dye the system to fix this, unfortunately. You also (probably) can't return the system, because it's cut.

The hair samples should be from different regions of your head, and labeled as such for them to know. It seems that they got the color wrong, however.

The only real way for you to wear this new system would be to buzz your side and back hair short, and wear it as an undercut. And when the new system comes, grow it out a bit, if your wish.

I had a client who said "screw it" and shaved off a lot of bio hair to get the system installed, even when it wasn't a perfect match. It did NOT end well.

You still have lots of bio hair, I would wait until you get a system that matches perfectly.

"I did reach out to the manufacturer about the color match."

And what did they tell you?

Best,

Steve

jmm0548

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking at the system more, I agree with what you said about hair samples from different regions of the head. I believe I took my hair sample from the top (It's been a while since I sent everything in) , where I would say it does do a good job of matching. I included a picture with my hand holding the system up against my bio hair. I'd say it matches fairly well in that regard. However, at the front, my hair appears to be more auburn/lighter. This is where it looks like the hair sample doesn't necessarily align. With that being said, I will certainly try to make the current system work as is, and then send in a more refined hair sample that would better reflect the different regions/hair color. Hopefully, as the hair system naturally lightens, that will help with a better match.

Since my hair seems to be a bit more complex than just receiving a stock unit, I may be in waiting until custom orders re-open. Which is unfortunate but understandable.

Attachments

• IMG_8873.jpg
    IMG_8873.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 125