Help with a diffuse thinner!

theoldkid

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im 22 years old and my first post here. Hoping to get some good info here!. The first time actually noticing a little thinning in my hair was 17 months ago. However, it wasn't that noticeable until September last year and it has been getting worse since. The only history of baldness in my family is my uncle on my father's side and he started balding in his 40's. I thought my hair would revert back to normal since I thought it was stress from school (first year college) but I'm not waiting any longer and taking a chance on that. Did some research, realized I think I am a diffuse thinner, and found this forum.

I have been taking regenpure DR for I think 4-5 months now and not sure if it has slowed down the process or not. I'm now considering using minoxidil 5%, nizoral as well but will stay away from Propecia because of the side effects that I hear about. I know everyone will get different results but will the minoxidil and nizoral be sufficient enough in growing and maintaining my hair? I have been reading that people have maintained their hair with minoxidil. I also read that using minoxidil alone will at one point give in to the DHT but I thought that is what the nizoral is for? I read many mixed opinions and reviews so maybe it will get cleared up here.

As you guys can see in the pics below, the thinning on my hair is not uniform and is inconsistent. I'm thinning more on my left side than the right but the front center of my head is significantly thicker than the rest. Is this common? I wish it was spread out across so if I did shave to a 1 or 0, it would look better. Oh well.

Anyways thats it. Any advice or some education on minoxidil, nizoral or propecia? TIA!

Attachments

• IMG-20130506-01390.jpg
    IMG-20130506-01390.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG-20130508-01444.jpg
    IMG-20130508-01444.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 271

progosu

Reaction score
Your situation is extremely bad for your age, if you don't wanna take finasteride you may as well give up and I know what I'm talking about, look at my topic, I've had an amazing results with just minoxidil, I was happy for 6 months or so, now everything is getting back to the "before" state. I told myself that I'll never get on finasteride... and now I'm taking it, it all depends whether you really want to save your hair or not.

Molex

Reaction score
Given the fact that your only 22 and lost the bulk of your hair over the past 17 months, then there is a good chance Finastride will give you a considerable amount of regrowth.
Some of us are trying to regain what we lost 5-7 years ago which puts us at a great disadvantage.

I agree with progosu - if you're serious and want to keep and possibly regrow your hair, then start taking finastride.

I'm 25, and I missed my chance at taking the medication when I was 21 when I first noticed my hairloss (still good dense thick head of hair). 4 years of on and off minoxidil, snake oil and group buys earned me the nickname "baldy". Please don't make the same mistake I and others have made in the past.

Do your research before you commit.

theoldkid

Reaction score
Your situation is extremely bad for your age, if you don't wanna take finasteride you may as well give up and I know what I'm talking about, look at my topic, I've had an amazing results with just minoxidil, I was happy for 6 months or so, now everything is getting back to the "before" state. I told myself that I'll never get on finasteride... and now I'm taking it, it all depends whether you really want to save your hair or not.
How long have you been taking it and any results? Or sides?

I have been reading more about Finasteride and I MIGHT jump on it. The chance of the decrease in libido and ED is what is really preventing me from taking it but I have read that many people dont even get side effects at all. Ahh such a hard decision.

If I were to take Finasteride, what would be the proper dosage for me? 0.5-1mg? TIA

progosu

Reaction score
I've been taking it since... Tuesday, my erection is as usual but orgasms are quite ****ty. I don't know if it possible but my hair has completely stopped falling out, usualy it was about 30 hair in the sink, today is 0.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
You have Androgenetic Alopecia and at such a young age and your losing hair just in 17 months, is a testament that your genes are acting fast and furious. I would start with finasteride., not minoxidil yet. finasteride is easier to pop a pill than using minoxidil twice a day. Both cause dependency. 1 mg is finasteride. recommended dose. However, what is missing in dose recommendation is individuals weight, and how much dht one has in blood. So, I would first start with smaller than recommended dose, .5mg, if I were too cautious and "scared". I would evaluate for weeks and months to see how that is working. The goal is to start as small as possible just to get optimum results, leaving extra dosages for future if need be. I believe you will be able to grow some hair density well, but not sure about your already recessed and damaged frontal line. Everyone responds dramatically different. You might start getting some results right away, but satisfactory results might take months to years. There will be some sacrifice, no matter what. After initial shock, your body will probably adjust to a certain extent. However, I believe libido and sexual intensity or pleasure may be affected considerably. Please keep us updated

upyours

Reaction score
You have Androgenetic Alopecia and at such a young age and your losing hair just in 17 months, is a testament that your genes are acting fast and furious. I would start with finasteride., not minoxidil yet. finasteride is easier to pop a pill than using minoxidil twice a day. Both cause dependency. 1 mg is finasteride. recommended dose. However, what is missing in dose recommendation is individuals weight, and how much dht one has in blood. So, I would first start with smaller than recommended dose, .5mg, if I were too cautious and "scared". I would evaluate for weeks and months to see how that is working. The goal is to start as small as possible just to get optimum results, leaving extra dosages for future if need be. I believe you will be able to grow some hair density well, but not sure about your already recessed and damaged frontal line. Everyone responds dramatically different. You might start getting some results right away, but satisfactory results might take months to years. There will be some sacrifice, no matter what. After initial shock, your body will probably adjust to a certain extent. However, I believe libido and sexual intensity or pleasure may be affected considerably. Please keep us updated

So you're saying that the sides are real in Finasteride?And you're telling him to take it anyway?

AnberlinFan84

Established Member
Reaction score
Sure sides may pop up that's when you decide whether or not it's worth it to continue treatment. It's sort of a trade-off would you rather have a reduced libido if that affected you or no hair? Take your pick. Op I have been on finasteride for two and a half years and only experience mild sides once in awhile, to me it's worth it.

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
sides are real with finasteride as with any medication but they really are rare ,around 2% of people in the studies got sides and these went away after stopping the medication. I've been on it for years with no sides

theoldkid

Reaction score
Ok so I have been contemplating for a while whether to to take finasteride or not... and have decided I'll give it a try. Now, first step is to go and get some. Is it better finding online or local? Also should I get a generic one, not Propecia? Here goes nothing..

AnberlinFan84

Established Member
Reaction score
Generic is the way to go if you get a rx from a dermatologist. Buy a pill cutter too if you get the 5mg pills.

theoldkid

Reaction score
Any way I can get it somewhere else as it would take around 4 months to have an appointment with a dermatologist. Would a regular doctor be able to prescribe me one?
Also, should I be taking Minoxidil too? However, using it twice daily seems like SUCH a hassle.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
So you're saying that the sides are real in Finasteride?And you're telling him to take it anyway?
We all here share stories and research and experience. "you" make wise decisions for yourself. Yes, there are sides with any drug, at varying degree for each individual. finasteride is no exception: No pain, no gain. Sides he may get, if any, might not be as painful as his worries over hairloss(Disclaimer: My posts are for educational purposes; not an absolute advise nor a definite assumption)

AnberlinFan84

Established Member
Reaction score
My brother and I have both been on finasteride 2.5 years with good results. We actually found a pic of him pre-finasteride and I couldn't believe the difference. Granted the improvement happened over a couple of years slowly so seeing that old pic was shocking. Sorry I dont have it to post (its on his PC)

- - - Updated - - -

Meant to include good luck in that post.