Help!! Thinning Hair. Struggling To Cope :(

kelly33

My Regimen
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was washing my hands and looked up at mirror and thought omg why can I see my scalp??? It's constant checking or avoiding mirror. Hoping it was just a mistake. No one else thinks it's a big deal and doesn't understand why I'm upset. I'm devastated. I'm now wearing hats etc too anxious to let anyone see my hair. It's really thinning. Doctor said tough nothing they can do. I'm broken hearted and crying everyday about it. I just can't get over it. How does everyone else just move on and not obsess. I'm scared to brush hair incase it all falls out. Not that I've noticed any hair falling out.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Kelly! You're not alone. Lots of us go through it and find the mental strength to persevere, and some lucky ones get regrowth.

Doctor said tough nothing they can do.

Your Doctor is wrong! Is that all he said? Did they even do blood tests? Try going to a dermatologist.

Are you a man or a woman? Do you have bald spots or just general thinning on top? How long has it been going on?

kelly33

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blood tests were done for thyroid. I'm still waiting to hear. I'm going back in couple weeks to beg for help. He doesn't reckon it's my meds but I'm not sure. Was reading maybe alopecia due to my mum passing away 10 months ago. I'm norm blonde and just dyed my hair dark so think it's noticeable now. I'm 33 year old woman. Noticeable thinning. QUOTE="PappinAce, post: 1369633, member: 100667"]Hey Kelly! You're not alone. Lots of us go through it and find the mental strength to persevere, and some lucky ones get regrowth.

Your Doctor is wrong! Is that all he said? Did they even do blood tests? Try going to a dermatologist.

Are you a man or a woman? Do you have bald spots or just general thinning on top? How long has it been going on?[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    553.9 KB · Views: 680
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 653

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
was this sudden?

Your center part looks like mine a bit except my hair is very curly but it took years to get here did not happen over night..and my back is still 'normal'

I'm 45..if this happened very quickly at this rate the good new may be its going to grow back on its own BUT you need a DR to make a diagnosis

You need much more test than thyroid.

You need all hormones tested
you need iron and more important you need ferritin tested (treatments work better supposedly if ferritin is at a optimal number)

You need a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss
and you need an encochronologist to test hormones.

You have to find a Derm with experience in hair--check and see if they are writing thesis or journals for hair loss when you google them. Usually they have published papers they have written on their sites.

If this is not possible for where you live than at least get a dermatologist who is familiar and up on research with hair loss.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all don't kill yourself, you can do something. Also i generally don't think thinning hair is so bad in girls, most people don't notice it at all. Your status is serious but not a cosmetical problem yet. I'm quite sure you can regrow your hair or at least stop the loss.

As hair follicles react 'allergic' to male hormones, it usually points to a hormonal imbalance in girls. Supplementing female hormones like P4 or E2 in guys usually induces regrowth, however as a guy you are running the risk of growing boobs.

Get your thyroid checked and also your hormone levels. Hair thins out in times of great stress, so they might also come back on their own.

kelly33

My Regimen
Reaction score
I assume it's taken a while as haven't noticed any hair. I'm gonna push Doctor to refer me to dermatologist
Thanks
was this sudden?

Your center part looks like mine a bit except my hair is very curly but it took years to get here did not happen over night..and my back is still 'normal'

I'm 45..if this happened very quickly at this rate the good new may be its going to grow back on its own BUT you need a DR to make a diagnosis

You need much more test than thyroid.

You need all hormones tested
you need iron and more important you need ferritin tested (treatments work better supposedly if ferritin is at a optimal number)

You need a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss
and you need an encochronologist to test hormones.

You have to find a Derm with experience in hair--check and see if they are writing thesis or journals for hair loss when you google them. Usually they have published papers they have written on their sites.

If this is not possible for where you live than at least get a dermatologist who is familiar and up on research with hair loss.
I assume it's b

kelly33

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctor didn't order hormone test. I was speaking to pharmacist and they said bloods for hormones is iffy. Doesn't really do much. Dunno wot else to do. Terrified will end up proper bald
First of all don't kill yourself, you can do something. Also i generally don't think thinning hair is so bad in girls, most people don't notice it at all. Your status is serious but not a cosmetical problem yet. I'm quite sure you can regrow your hair or at least stop the loss.

As hair follicles react 'allergic' to male hormones, it usually points to a hormonal imbalance in girls. Supplementing female hormones like P4 or E2 in guys usually induces regrowth, however as a guy you are running the risk of growing boobs.

Get your thyroid checked and also your hormone levels. Hair thins out in times of great stress, so they might also come back on their own.
Do

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctor didn't order hormone test. I was speaking to pharmacist and they said bloods for hormones is iffy. Doesn't really do much. Dunno wot else to do. Terrified will end up proper bald
Do

no offense your pharmacist does not know what he/she is talking about.

hormones and women's hair loss is HUGE.

Dont believe me google and do a bit of research.

Go see an endocrinologist in addition to a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss. You probably need a scalp biopsy.

no offense but i am telling you what you should do..so now you do know.

its up to you to find proper Doctors to do the testing.

Good luck.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry about your mom. Were you two very close? I imagine losing her was very traumatic for you.

The hair loss could very well be attributed to the stress from your mom's passing triggering telogen effluvium. And as someone above me said, make SURE you get your ferritin tested and maintain it above 70 consistently for optimal regrowth.

Alopecia to Afro

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Kelly I'm late to the discussion but hope you have found a great dermatologist. When I was going through hair loss, I was referred to the greatest dermatologist ever and wished he could be my doctor for everything. If you are not satisfied with doctors diagnosis find another one. There is help out there. I went from extreme hair loss to a full head of hair but when I went through it I was emotionally devastated and no one understood me they would always say well at least you don't have anything fatal or contagious yes I knew that but I had something emotionally devastating which leads to other problems, Thankfully I have been healed and I'm on a mission to help other women heal emotionally from the devastation of hair loss.

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have hair loss that is a bit less than yours and I know how devastating it can be, just do all the necessary blood work and rectify whatever appears to be wrong and start on minoxidil, but just see a dermatologist first and don't lose hope

Bobbie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, find a doctor who will run labs for you: hormone panel, thyroid panel, iron and ferritin, vitamin d. A good derm will know what to run. Lots of therapies to try: herbal supplements, shampoos, laser treatment. No magic solution unfortunately but there is hope and help. Hang in there!!

Bobbie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Kelly I'm late to the discussion but hope you have found a great dermatologist. When I was going through hair loss, I was referred to the greatest dermatologist ever and wished he could be my doctor for everything. If you are not satisfied with doctors diagnosis find another one. There is help out there. I went from extreme hair loss to a full head of hair but when I went through it I was emotionally devastated and no one understood me they would always say well at least you don't have anything fatal or contagious yes I knew that but I had something emotionally devastating which leads to other problems, Thankfully I have been healed and I'm on a mission to help other women heal emotionally from the devastation of hair loss.

I am so happy to hear that you have been healed! I am in the middle of extreme hair loss. Having tried almost every therapy, there is little I can do except watch it fall out. I still pray that something will surface in my labs that will explain this and my other symptoms (anxiety, depression, occipital neuralgia) but so far no luck. Want so badly to be free from this devastating situation that is robbing me of my joy.

Hairmess

My Regimen
Reaction score
What did you do for treatment?

Sharyn D. Isom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Kelly, my hair was loss too but only at the front. I had stressed so much this time but I want you to know that hair loss can happen at any age, for a multitude of reasons. Don't be sad, keep calm and find good treatments! Hopefully you get your hair growth back on a healthy track.