HELP! Shedding questions...

vio

Reaction score
i tried the search but couldn't find the specific answers i am looking for. i've been taking propecia for about 7 months now. at about month 4 i started to shed. 95% of my shed has been from my hairline and mostly at my temples. my shed lasted about 3 months and has slowed but not stop completely. first, is this a normal response? second, will the hair that i shed at my temples grow back? third, if it does how long does it usually take? thanks.

vio

Reaction score
thanks lanza. has anyone had any similar experiences to mine or heard of any?

Reaction score
I don't have any answers to your original questions, but i have shed in a similar pattern, having lost alot of my hairline over 3 months. The difference is that i started shedding hard immediately after taking finasteride. I sounds like you have a better chance than i do of regrowing what you lost considering you started shed. only well into your finasteride use which sounds typical.

Were you shedding an extreme amount, if so about how much? Have you only shed at your temples, or have you been shedding from all over your head and only noticeably thinned at your temples. Have you had any other side effects?

I would definitely wait it out for a year from the sounds of it. Good luck.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Correct everyone is different on finasteride, BUT there are several distinct user groups of people on finasteride.

Basically some shed at 1 month, and maybe again at 6 or 8.

Others never shed, or shed only once.

An unfortunate few, shed fast and hard. This group almost always loses most of their "quality" hair they have left, and either go into one of the final two "sub-groups".

Group :cry: : Which lose all the shed hair and the hair goes to crap, or doesn't regrow. At all. Most of the users destined for this group either panic and get on a potent cocktail of minoxidil, Xandrox, sperm, virgin blood, whatever it takes to get regrowth. Which, in turn causes them to shed even more.. and well..

Group :D : Which has miraculous regrowth from a shitty shedded from head. These people have a few more panics, but often stop posting until they experience one of the aforementioned panics.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Group: :( Which lose all the shed hair and the hair goes to crap, or doesn't regrow. At all. Most of the users destined for this group either panic and get on a potent cocktail of minoxidil, Xandrox, sperm, virgin blood, whatever it takes to get regrowth. Which, in turn causes them to shed even more.. and well..

I dont see the logic here....how can you shed a perfectly normal hair, only not to have it come back. Propecia doesnt kill the hair. Do you mean that people panic and just quit the drug and then sh*t goes down hill....please explain sir. :D

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
They lose hair because either they are having an extreme adverse reaction to finasteride, or they have other issues like inflamation that's not male pattern baldness related. (various skin diseases) Somehow the drieng that finasteride does to the face and scalp makes it worse, causing them to panic and pour everything but manure on their scalp, making the problem even worse. And all the people saying "ride it out" don't help in that situation.

BUT I didn't mean to imply that group lost all their "good" hair forever. It's just that the DHT hair sections get infinitely worse compared to their baseline pre-finasteride. The sections might get thicker/semi-normal again, but for group :cry: their hair basically goes to sh*t, and it's blamed on finasteride, whether it was the problem or not.

Why did you remove my :cry: ? that makes me :cry:

[edit]

:cry:

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bone Daddy said:
They lose hair because either they are having an extreme adverse reaction to finasteride, or they have other issues like inflamation that's not male pattern baldness related. (various skin diseases) Somehow the drieng that finasteride does to the face and scalp makes it worse, causing them to panic and pour everything but manure on their scalp, making the problem even worse. And all the people saying "ride it out" don't help in that situation.

BUT I didn't mean to imply that group lost all their "good" hair forever. It's just that the DHT hair sections get infinitely worse compared to their baseline pre-finasteride. The sections might get thicker/semi-normal again, but for group :cry: their hair basically goes to sh*t, and it's blamed on finasteride, whether it was the problem or not.

Why did you remove my :cry: ? that makes me :cry:

[edit]

:cry:

Sorry, that was an oversight.....dont :cry: ...its back!!!!! :lol: :p

Anywho, so, in theory....if you stop taking Propecia then those elements that were making your hair worse would be gone and you should make up some ground. This sort of freaked me out a bit, cause I dont want to think that Im shedding hairs that I will never see again....that would make Tony Montana vewy vewy mad at Merk....

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
:D hey :cry: I missed ya! :oops:

Yep, in theory if you didn't have male pattern baldness, or were reacting badly to finasteride and got off everything, you'd return to normal or similar.

BUT also in theory, if you DID have male pattern baldness and were shedding like crazy, you could very likely see those hairs go bye-bye.

Why?

Because you would be advancing the downsizing of the hairs. With every cycle of growth, your DHT affected hairs lose size. If you kept shedding as soon as the hair reached any kind of maturity, and the finasteride wasn't doing anything but enducing a shed, then yeah in theory you'd go slick in those areas after a while. I have no idea if this would happen, or how long it would take if it did, but it seems likely anyway.

Tony, I think your avatar is coming on to me, take a few days off the finasteride!

:freaked:

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bone Daddy said:
:D hey :cry: I missed ya! :oops:

Yep, in theory if you didn't have male pattern baldness, or were reacting badly to finasteride and got off everything, you'd return to normal or similar.

BUT also in theory, if you DID have male pattern baldness and were shedding like crazy, you could very likely see those hairs go bye-bye.

Why?

Because you would be advancing the downsizing of the hairs. With every cycle of growth, your DHT affected hairs lose size. If you kept shedding as soon as the hair reached any kind of maturity, and the finasteride wasn't doing anything but enducing a shed, then yeah in theory you'd go slick in those areas after a while. I have no idea if this would happen, or how long it would take if it did, but it seems likely anyway.

Man that is a scary theory. So you think that Propecia can actually advance male pattern baldness if a person is a non-responder. See I have always shed a high number of hairs and I definetly have signs of male pattern baldness. Recently I have seen a larger number of hairs in the shower, could be because my hair is longer. These hairs are all very thin but long, I'd say about an inch and a half. I still have tons of coverage, but my overall density has gone down a bit. I am reaching the year mark and could tell you that my hairline, although a bit thinner has seen some improvement because the wispy hairs that were there before are longer and more visible. Now, I'm a bit freaked out because in no way do I want my male pattern baldness to be accelerated... I guess its a waiting game to see if those hairs grow back....

Tony, I think your avatar is coming on to me, take a few days off the finasteride!

:freaked:
LOL!!! My avartar is a tough cookie, its his normal coooollll stare! 8)

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Man that is a scary theory. So you think that Propecia can actually advance male pattern baldness if a person is a non-responder. See I have always shed a high number of hairs and I definetly have signs of male pattern baldness. Recently I have seen a larger number of hairs in the shower, could be because my hair is longer. These hairs are all very thin but long, I'd say about an inch and a half. I still have tons of coverage, but my overall density has gone down a bit. I am reaching the year mark and could tell you that my hairline, although a bit thinner has seen some improvement because the wispy hairs that were there before are longer and more visible. Now, I'm a bit freaked out because in no way do I want my male pattern baldness to be accelerated... I guess its a waiting game to see if those hairs grow back....

I know, it's very :x even typing it out. I do think it's possible, and to a point I've seen evidence from people posting that may be happening. In fact to certain people on this very forum. They start taking finasteride, later they post "omg shedding for 6 months straight, hair is looking bad". We, in an attempt to be sympathetic and encouraging, say "ride it out". Which, the newbie usually does. I then see posts from the same user later, that his hair keeps getting worse, his hair line has receeded and he has a new bald spot on his crown.

Now it's possible in all these scenarios that the poster has been on/off with finasteride, and their are other factors going on we have no way to know about, but the theory still seems legit to me.

You bro, seem to be responding. (esp if you have new baby hairs) (aww kitchy-kitchy koo) I know before I cut my hair, I shed more, and longer hairs, but that was about the same time finasteride started kicking in. I can kinda see how long hair in need of a cut could "let loose" because the hair gets to a dead end. It keeps hitting that brick wall, so it sheds.

But you have to remember finasteride's job is to maintain, and make the hairs thicker. If your growing new ones, and your not shedding a large amount of "quality" hairs, I wouldn't worry.. in fact I'd be happy I was one of the lucky ones that were experiencing regrowth.

I have lot more "theories" based on my finasteride usage, that I'll share in my update thread.

Didn't mean to scare you mang, but your right, it's all a diceroll. Let's hope none of us get snake-eyes.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
(aww kitchy-kitchy koo)
LOL!!!!

I have lot more "theories" based on my finasteride usage, that I'll share in my update thread.

You are a SMART MAN!!!!

Didn't mean to scare you mang, but your right, it's all a diceroll. Let's hope none of us get snake-eyes.

Keeping my fingers crossed :p

BTW...thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my posts MENG!!!! Good sh*t brother!

Tony Montana

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL, no problem man.

Now, if you all will excuse me.. I have another date with the girl I mentioned in the "I got a haircut" thread.

8)

Later all!

vio

Reaction score
curbed my enthusiasm said:
Were you shedding an extreme amount, if so about how much? Have you only shed at your temples, or have you been shedding from all over your head and only noticeably thinned at your temples. Have you had any other side effects?

I would definitely wait it out for a year from the sounds of it. Good luck.

well to give everyone a little background, my male pattern baldness has been a very slow progression. i first noticed it when i was 19 but it took 9 years to go from normal to a norwood 2. i'm abount 7.5 months into my finasteride treatment. in the last 7.5 months i've gone from a norwood 2 to about 2.5 with most of that hair being lost in the last 3 months or so. about 3 months after i started taking finasteride i noticed that my hairline had receeded a bit but i couldn't tell a difference in the number of hairs i would lose in the shower. then about 4 months in i noticed about 2 to 3 times the normal amount of hair in my hands when i was shampooing and combing my hair. a couple of weeks ago it seems to have gone back to the normal amount but now i'm a norwood 2.5. i have no bald spot on my crown and 95% of my shed has been from my hairline with probably 3% from my crown and the other 2% from the rest of my head. what really concerns me is that from what i've read the shed should be from all over but mine is almost completely from my hairline.