Help!!! need desperate advice propecia has ruined me

47thinnick

Reaction score
I took propecia for 1 month got all the side effects serverely by week 3

I have been off propecia for a week now and still no improvement, I can not get an erection at all even loooking at p**rn, normally i would have been rock hard in minutes.

Even the desire to have sex is totally gone

My wife is not aware of the situation yet she is concerned we have not had sex for 3 weeks which is not normal we go at least twice a week, I told her I am stressed at work.

The research indicates that everthing returns to normal after a few days after stopping the drug

Can anyone help

BitchBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
A week is nothing. Your DHT gets supressed for around that just from one dose. Give it at least a month before you start to panic.

socks_11.jpg

NeedHair247

Reaction score
The best way to deal with this situation is by visiting your doctor and checking your hormone levels out
esp the levels of test/estrogen
this should help you figure out what needs to be done

Boondock

Reaction score
I think it's a bit early for hormone tests. Give it a couple of weeks. You should be fine.

Ende

Reaction score
Boondock said:
I think it's a bit early for hormone tests. Give it a couple of weeks. You should be fine.
No, the sooner the better. Recovery might be accelerated with drug support, and besides, his body might never recover on its own. At low testosterone level, your body also begins to waste penile muscles...

Boondock

Reaction score
Enden said:
Boondock said:
No, the sooner the better. Recovery might be accelerated with drug support, and besides, his body might never recover on its own. At low testosterone level, your body also begins to waste penile muscles...

False.

1. The vast majority of people with finasteride side effects lose these within a month of discontinuation.

2. The vast majority of the remainder return to function within a few more weeks.

3. Only a minority have effects persisting longer than this (which anyway, 90% of the time are not reflected in decreased testosterone levels.)

4. Going to get hormone tests and telling people to worry about the problem can be enormously stressful.

5. Stress can psychologically dampen your sex drive.

6. Stress can physiologically dampen sex drive, by increasing cortisol production which in turn lowers testosterone production.

7. Fears of 'permanent damage' if one does not jump on hormone treatment within a few weeks (as you're advocating) are completely overblown.

8. Indeed the reverse is true: getting on TRT at this stage could actually be what causes permanent damage.

9. In any case, no reputable doctor is going to prescribe hormone therapy 3 weeks after finasteride, so it's a blind alley.

10. Therefore, your approach is more likely to prolong negative symptoms than to alleviate them. You think this guy isn't worried enough already?

Ende

Reaction score
You can't just close your eyes and rely on that everything solves itself, especially when we're talking about finasteride. It's not worth taking the risk by waiting in my opinion. You don't want to be one of the guys who's not a part of the vast majority. ED is a severe side effect, and certian hormones are way out of balance. Morning erections are good indicators of a healthy endocrine system. If you don't have them anymore, your problem is physical. Stress might amplify the problem. I'm not talking about hormone replacement therapy, but drugs like Arimidex, which shifts the testosterone/estrogen ratio in favor of testosterone. A good doctor will listed to what you say, look at your blood test result and prescribe an AI if the estrogen level is elevated.

Do you've any experience with severe side effects yourself? The fact that his body will begin wasting certain muscles which is vital for an erection rapidly at low testosterone level, suggest he should se a doctor now. By the symptoms he's describing, I can tell you right now that his testosterone level is lowered, and that his estrogen level is elevated.

Boondock

Reaction score
Enden said:
By the symptoms he's describing, I can tell you right now that his testosterone level is lowered, and that his estrogen level is elevated.

This barely even warrants a response. You have no idea what this guys T:E ratio is. Even someone with actual medical training wouldn't rely on a clinical judgement - especially without even seeing the patient.

Ende

Reaction score
Altered testosterone/estrogen ratio is what causes the severe side effects. You believe what you want.

Boondock

Reaction score
Enden said:
Altered testosterone/estrogen ratio is what causes the severe side effects. You believe what you want.

I'm not claiming to know all the answers by any stretch of the imagination. But comments like yours are really not helpful.

You said that you know the OP has elevated estrogens and lowered testosterone levels. You have deduced this from a single post on an internet forum, without seeing the patient, having the medical expertise required to make a judgement if you did, and without seeing any blood tests whatsoever.

This is, plainly, insane. Not even a trained doctor could reach this conclusion from a single post on the internet. It's this kind of quackery which gives the side effect crowd a bad name.

Ende

Reaction score
Fair enough, and generally I would agree with you, but not in this case. I know what I'm talking about. He has been using finasteride for a month and has no libido what so ever, and is currently impotent. What do you think?

Boondock

Reaction score
Enden said:
Fair enough, and generally I would agree with you, but not in this case. I know what I'm talking about. He has been using finasteride for a month and has no libido what so ever, and is currently impotent. What do you think?

Fair play.

I think the body isn't quite as fragile as side-effect sufferers believe it to be. It's very easy to take your own experience and project it onto others, but in the vast majority of cases finasteride causes no permanent problems.

I could speculate that his hormones are not yet in their proper 'routine' again yet. You're correct that their could be a spike in estrogen, but we just don't know.

Where we differ is that I think in the majority of cases - and, most likely in the OP's - things will return back to normal on their own. 3 weeks is too early to start worrying.

Ende

Reaction score
Boondock said:
Fair play.

I think the body isn't quite as fragile as side-effect sufferers believe it to be. It's very easy to take your own experience and project it onto others, but in the vast majority of cases finasteride causes no permanent problems.

I could speculate that his hormones are not yet in their proper 'routine' again yet. You're correct that their could be a spike in estrogen, but we just don't know.

Where we differ is that I think in the majority of cases - and, most likely in the OP's - things will return back to normal on their own. 3 weeks is too early to start worrying.
The body is remarkably adaptable, and we learn by mistake and teach others so they don't do the same. I would've agreed about waiting and see if he was talking about reduced libido and softer erections, but he's not. Obviously, he has to make up his own mind.

barcafan

Reaction score
Enden said:

You wish it was that simple. When you really start to delve into this sh*t, your mind will just be overloaded.

Ende

Reaction score
barcafan said:
Enden said:

You wish it was that simple. When you really start to delve into this sh*t, your mind will just be overloaded.
I've experienced that it's basically that simple, but it gets worse and far more complicated if untreated, like hyperprolactinaemia and hypogonadism (which comes with a shitload of complications - like wasted penile muscles due to low testosterone level, which is the hardest part to deal with)

barcafan

Reaction score
Enden said:
barcafan said:
Enden said:

I've experienced that it's basically that simple, but it gets worse and far more complicated if untreated, like hyperprolactinaemia and hypogonadism (which comes with a shitload of complications - like wasted penile muscles due to low testosterone level, which is the hardest part to deal with)

You cannot simplify it to testosterone and estradiol.

There is a whole concert of homrones/neurotransmitters at work here. People much smarter than us already know that much.

Ende

Reaction score
barcafan said:
You cannot simplify it to testosterone and estradiol.

There is a whole concert of homrones/neurotransmitters at work here. People much smarter than us already know that much.
Change one hormone level, and others are likely to follow. Anyway, it is as simple as elevated estrogen level to begin with. I've been living with this for almost 2 years, and I've been experimenting with drugs for 8 months now. I'm now able to manage all side effects from finasteride properly, and I've almost recovered. All my psychological problems subsided after beginning treatment with testosterone, so don't get hung up on Mew's theory about finasteride blocking neurohormones (which I've read is created by 5AR type 1, and not type 2 which finasteride inhibits). As I've said earlier, androgens do alot for your brain function, and DHT is much more androgenic than testosterone. I believe those neurohormones simply balance themselves naturally when lowering DHT by 70%.