[help] Minoxidil Is A Blessing And A Curse! | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

[help] Minoxidil Is A Blessing And A Curse!

Discussion in 'Growth Stimulants - Rogaine, Minoxidil, Tricomin,' started by Jobol, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Jobol

Jobol New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hey guys,

Looooong time lurker, first time poster.

I am 45. Not sure how I would classify my balding, but I would say my scalp can easily be seen through my hair but I am not completely bald.

Last May 2018 (8 month ago) I had an FUE (3,000 grafts, but I doubt it was really that number), and seriously I am disappointed, a lot. The MD advised me NOT to use Minoxidil on my hair, without giving me a specific reason. So, up until the beginning of December, I did not use anything on my hair...and honestly I could not see any benefit from my FUE.

Starting last November (2018) I decided to start using Minoxidil 5% foam (Rogain), maybe my transplanted hair would grow a bit...and as soon as I started using it, 1x a day at the beginning, I felt that this gave a boost to my hair growth...and I start thinking that my hair was getting somehow thicker.

Now, a couple of weeks later, mid November, I read that Minoxidil should be applied 2x a day and not only 1x like I was doing for best results. So, I started applying 2x a day, in the morning and in the evening....and...

I started shedding like CRAZY!!! I would put my hand in my hair and my palm was full of hair!!! I was freaking out...at 1x a day, NEVER have I seen increased shedding...still, I decided to tough it out and see when it is going to stop....

Fast forward to last week...almost 2 months and a half later, and I was still shedding like crazy...hair everywhere, pillows, cloths, bath...and then I fell sick....and for the whole last week, I was so sick, that I didn't have the energy to apply it everyday twice a day....so I started applying 1x a day, and some days, not at all.

...And what do you know....the shedding completely stopped!!! And I started feeling my hair getting thicker again...

Now today, I feel much better, and I am wondering if I should start back my x2 a day Minoxidil foam like before...But I must confess, I am freaking out at the idea of starting back all that shedding...

What do you guys think?

Should I continue my 1x a day application of Rogain Foam, or start the x2 a day, and risk starting all that shedding again?

Thanks for your help and for your time.

2. Jaka

Jaka Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    It was logical for you to start applying it 2x a day after you noticed improvements from using it 1x a day. It makes no sense to me that you would attempt to start using it 2x a day again after your experience with doing that. You are back to using it less and you say it's helping so why not just stick with what works. I get that you are trying to follow the directions but it's obvious that it didn't work for you. It's probably a bad idea to experiment with the dosage again until your hair stabilizes. BTW, there are plenty of people in this forum who only use it once per day.

3. I could hair less

I could hair less Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    can you pls share photos of before and after of hair transplant...

who was the dr?

4. Jobol

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I did it in Turkey....bad results.

5. I could hair less

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    sorry bro...do you have donor hair left at least?

6. mooreu

mooreu Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I've noticed more and more people complaining about the transplants they've had in Turkey.

7. I could hair less

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    go figure going to cheap drs and expecting good results..

8. Jobol

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    That's about one of stupidest replies I have ever read. You my friend have to read on economics and understand why the Dr. in Turkey are cheaper. Hint, it has nothing to do with their skill set.

9. 9982

9982 Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    They were taught procedures by British surgeons, the best in the world

10. I could hair less

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    actually UK clinics are overrated and not very good...

Capone likes this.
  11. I could hair less

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    umm yea I know labor is cheaper as well as cost of living... bottom line you dont know what you are getting with a turkey hair transplant... cant tell me if money wasn't a factor ppl would be heading to turkey for their amazing skill.

12. SuperDPAsteve

SuperDPAsteve Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Honestly OP, I think shedding means it’s working. Respectfully, you’re not gonna notice jack sh*t “as soon as you start using” minoxidil at any dosage or frequency. The immediate thickening effect you claim to have experienced was either a placebo or the result of another medication you were on. When you upped it to 2x/day, you probably actually started seeing the medication doing what it’s supposed to do. An initial shedding stage is said to be a good indication that it’s working. I’m going through it right now.