Help Me Choose: Letrozole Vs Tamoxifen

What would be your choice to guard against side effects of finasteride; in particular gyno?

• Letrozole (or other AI)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Tamoxifen (or other SERM)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Lower Finasteride dose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RegrowthPlease

My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to prevent gyno on 1-1.25mg finasteride. What would be the smallest effective dosage u would recommend for either drug?

So, I learnt that tamoxifen only blocks the estrogen receptor in the breast tissue from being binded to by estrogen, while letrozole eliminates the aromatase enzyme and hence lowers conversion. By this logic, tamoxifen should be better for hair regrowth since lower estrogen levels also affect our hair (am I right to say this?).

I will now link two studies, one on the efficacy of each drug
Letro:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...inhibitor_CGS_20_267_in_healthy_male_subjects
And I quote, "A reduction in estradiol levels by about 30% from baseline was observed at the lowest dose (0.02 mg)." That is a rather significant reduction with such a minute dose.

Tamoxifen:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17270340
Quote, "At 6 and 12 mo, tamoxifen decreased the incidence of breast events in a dose-dependent manner, with breast events observed in 86.2%, 60.0%, 55.3%, 23.5%, and 8.8% of patients receiving tamoxifen 1, 2.5, 5, 10, and 20 mg, respectively, compared with 96.7% of patients receiving placebo at 6 mo." Seems like a much higher dose of tamoxifen is required to be effective.

So my question is, would reducing systemic estrogen be detrimental to hair? And is a 30% reduction of estradiol levels sufficient to counteract any possible rise from the effects of finasteride 1mg ED? I think the figure thrown around is finasteride causes about a 15% increase in estrogen on average. So 0.02mg should be enough to cover that side effect?

Letrozole is more expensive, but if it were possible to be splitted into 0.02mg dosages then I can stretch the medication for a long time, and it would end up dirt cheap, much cheaper than the required tamoxifen dosage per day.

Thoughts? All suggestions are welcome.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
hairloss or thinning is a common side effect in breast cancer patients taking tamoxifene or AI's

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
first step take blood test .
if you have a lump you need a serm such as tamoxifen / raloxifen .
I would try raloxifen ( currently taking it )

If you need to reduce your E2 i would try low dose arimidex . I really don't think that reducing the E2 to the normal range ( 15-20 pg / ml) would impact the hair ! prebubertal boy have low E2 and no hair loss .
it is more the raise of test and DHT which could harm the hair .

But this is sure that having very high E2 level ( like mtf ) benefits hair ( but there are many side with it )

RegrowthPlease

My Regimen
Reaction score
first step take blood test .
if you have a lump you need a serm such as tamoxifen / raloxifen .
I would try raloxifen ( currently taking it )

If you need to reduce your E2 i would try low dose arimidex . I really don't think that reducing the E2 to the normal range ( 15-20 pg / ml) would impact the hair ! prebubertal boy have low E2 and no hair loss .
it is more the raise of test and DHT which could harm the hair .

But this is sure that having very high E2 level ( like mtf ) benefits hair ( but there are many side with it )

If there are no lumps, but I am trying to avoid any future problems, what is better? Still SERMs? Letro is better than tamoxifen at reducing lump size according to one study. I need to emphasize that I have no lumps but I feel that my nipples are more sensitive when I take a higher dose of finasteride vs low dose like 0.2-0.4mg per day.

Theoretically, if we reduce E2 level back down to body's natural level then symptoms would not exist right? Or is there some kind of upregulation of estrogen receptor via DHT inhibition?

How much raloxifen are u taking per day and what is your finasteride/dutasteride dosage? Thanks