Help! Just realised I am balding. Girl says I look 'really old'. Pictures inside.

michilla

Reaction score
I noticed I was losing quite a lot of hair a couple of years ago, so went to the doctor who suggested going on Regaine. After researching Regaine shampoo I noticed it was very expensive and people were saying they only gained "pube" like hairs. I also read that someone stopped taking it and lost 5 years of hair in one go, going bald! Regaine seems like a really bad deal.

I have seborrehic dermatitis on the scalp and face and the doctor said to use Nizoral and Tar shampoo, but I don't do this regularly enough, usually only when I notice itching and redness.

I joined puahate about 2 years ago and there were guys suggesting Finasteride for hair loss. Two years has gone by and although I haven't noticed many more hair falling out, I sent some pictures to a female friend and she said I looked noticeably older. I've taken some pictures and wanted to know what you guys think, how bad is this?

I get lots of SMALL hairs on the comb, where a few years ago it was larger ones. Why is this?

I've been told this is the crossroads and I need to make a decision about whether to go on finasteride or not.

Going on finasteride is a danger for me, I already suffer from anxiety disorder & clinical depression and I understand finasteride can make that worse. I wouldn't want to become suicidal.

That said, I don't want to go bald, because I know that's sexual death. Please help.

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 601
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 585
  • head3.jpg
    head3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 649
  • head4.jpg
    head4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 637
  • head5.jpg
    head5.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 519

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever read something about finasteride causing or worsening depression or anxiety disorders.. I don't really believe that (both my doctor and dermatologist forgot to mention it when we were talking about the sides). I think the opposite may be true because better hair will be good for your self esteem...

You have signs of balding and I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor. I would start with finasteride & minoxidil if I were you..

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score
The small hairs falling out are miniaturized versions of the long strong hairs you used to have.
When your hair falls out it grows back weaker each time until it is no longer visible to the eye. (Google hair miniaturization)

I also suffer from bad social anxiety and have been on meds for depression like citalopram numerous times in my life.
I used to have suicidal thoughts a lot and still do but they are no worse then before propecia in fact if anything I'm more positive since using it. (becuase I know it's helping my hair)
If you think propecia will make you kill yourself then you should not take it, as to take propecia you need to be positive about it from the start because been negative can trigger the thoughts regardless of what ever the drug does just think of the placebo effect - if you think the drug will make you sick then it will make you sick.

now to minoxidil or rogaine, yes you do need to keep using it or you lose the hair it grows or keeps now think about this and the words grows & keeps because without min that 5 years of hair which the guy lost would of fell out long before it did.
so actually the guy got a huge benefit from the product and was foolish to stop... yes it may only grow wisp/vellus or pube like hairs in most, but I can tell you this they are better then no hair trust me and it can make a big cosmetic difference especially when your hair is short as those pube hairs will look like normal shaved hairs..

lets move to your hair, for a start it's similar to mine in what you have remaining.
yes you have lost a bit at the front and I would say your at the nw2-nw2.5 range maybe heading for a nw3 if it continues.
I can't really tell with your crown (bad light) if it is thinning it's not bad at all yet.
It's worth keeping it if you can so the sooner you start something proper and proven the better, whether that be propecia or not.
I would definitely give minoxidil a fair go and if it doesn't work you will continue to lose it at the same rate as without it and if it does work then result!

finally you will look older with hair loss in most cases it's a no brainer, but i doubt you look considerably older as you have only lost a cm or 2.
unfortunately I can't help on this I would need to see a before and after hair loss photo with face to judge your aging but as i guess i would say it won't of aged you more then a couple of years
btw how old are you and how old is this girl?

michilla

Reaction score
The small hairs falling out are miniaturized versions of the long strong hairs you used to have.
When your hair falls out it grows back weaker each time until it is no longer visible to the eye. (Google hair miniaturization)

I also suffer from bad social anxiety and have been on meds for depression like citalopram numerous times in my life.
I used to have suicidal thoughts a lot and still do but they are no worse then before propecia in fact if anything I'm more positive since using it. (becuase I know it's helping my hair)
If you think propecia will make you kill yourself then you should not take it, as to take propecia you need to be positive about it from the start because been negative can trigger the thoughts regardless of what ever the drug does just think of the placebo effect - if you think the drug will make you sick then it will make you sick.

now to minoxidil or rogaine, yes you do need to keep using it or you lose the hair it grows or keeps now think about this and the words grows & keeps because without min that 5 years of hair which the guy lost would of fell out long before it did.
so actually the guy got a huge benefit from the product and was foolish to stop... yes it may only grow wisp/vellus or pube like hairs in most, but I can tell you this they are better then no hair trust me and it can make a big cosmetic difference especially when your hair is short as those pube hairs will look like normal shaved hairs..

lets move to your hair, for a start it's similar to mine in what you have remaining.
yes you have lost a bit at the front and I would say your at the nw2-nw2.5 range maybe heading for a nw3 if it continues.
I can't really tell with your crown (bad light) if it is thinning it's not bad at all yet.
It's worth keeping it if you can so the sooner you start something proper and proven the better, whether that be propecia or not.
I would definitely give minoxidil a fair go and if it doesn't work you will continue to lose it at the same rate as without it and if it does work then result!

finally you will look older with hair loss in most cases it's a no brainer, but i doubt you look considerably older as you have only lost a cm or 2.
unfortunately I can't help on this I would need to see a before and after hair loss photo with face to judge your aging but as i guess i would say it won't of aged you more then a couple of years
btw how old are you and how old is this girl?

I am 32 year old male. I have lost about 2cm-2.5cm on both side, although it's not full loss still tiny hairs there.

monoxidil is taken externally (shampoo) and finasteride internally (tablet)

The side effects of finasteride are scary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride#Adverse_effects
I don't want to end up impotent or infertile.

Minoxidil can have the side effect of hair loss http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoxidil#Side_effects

I agree I am NW2, my father didn't go full bald I think he got to NW3 Vertex.

My crown is getting bad, my hair is long at the moment if it was cut the crown would be more visible.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair is normal, to me at least, for a 30 year old male. But you are balding. The side effects everyone talks about associated with finasteride are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over exaggerated. Get on it now, and there is a good chance of thickening the hair you have. A very likely chance that you will keep the hair you have until your 40s.

michilla

Reaction score
hair1.jpghair2.jpghair3.jpghair4.jpghair5.jpghair6.jpg

had a haircut today, young hairdresser told me my hair was very thin on top, which I had started to realise. I would say I'm a NW2 right now.
Yesterday I decided against finasteride right now because of the risks and also against minoxidil because I have seborrhic dermatitis which is a red itchy scalp which minoxidil could destroy.

I'm going to start REGULARLY applying tar shampoo and Nizoral 2% and will also avoid scratching the scalp.
I understand that it's partly inflammation that is causing the balding.

I read up about Sam Palmetto but it seems to be a natural version of finasteride, some people have had the same sides as well.
What else can I do other then eat a healthy diet with less sugar and processed food?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes it's all good to have a healthy diet. It's going to do some good to your mind and body, not sure what it will do to your hair though. Have you tried emu oil on your scalp for SD?

michilla

Reaction score
yes it's all good to have a healthy diet. It's going to do some good to your mind and body, not sure what it will do to your hair though. Have you tried emu oil on your scalp for SD?

never hair of emu oil where would i get that from in UK. To be fair a lot of the SD has been caused by me having hot showers instead of warm and not using the Tar/Nizoral often enough. Now I'm being careful perhaps it will stop.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
try Ebay or your local health food store. It is supposed to help with inflammation/rash caused by SD. Dermatitis is tough to treat..I have it on my face and in fact, there seemes no cure for that. Whether your hair loss is due to your balding genes or not, SD can make things worse!! have you seen a dermatologist?

michilla

Reaction score
try Ebay or your local health food store. It is supposed to help with inflammation/rash caused by SD. Dermatitis is tough to treat..I have it on my face and in fact, there seemes no cure for that. Whether your hair loss is due to your balding genes or not, SD can make things worse!! have you seen a dermatologist?

going to get the GP referral to derma tomorrow as I have had SD for years, didn't even follow the tar shampoo/nizoral combination correctly. I had really thick head of hair 10 years ago and just have a thin lair now with hair ministration going on all the time.

I am looking at going on extra strength minoxidil if the derma says may scalp can cope with it. I understand that minoxidil is not for red itchy scalps, which sounds like mine when SD is bad.

michilla

Reaction score
I am shedding 5-10 small hairs per day. I never seem to shed a big hair, because of hair miniaturization.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 21541View attachment 21542View attachment 21543View attachment 21544View attachment 21545View attachment 21546

had a haircut today, young hairdresser told me my hair was very thin on top, which I had started to realise. I would say I'm a NW2 right now.
Yesterday I decided against finasteride right now because of the risks and also against minoxidil because I have seborrhic dermatitis which is a red itchy scalp which minoxidil could destroy.

I'm going to start REGULARLY applying tar shampoo and Nizoral 2% and will also avoid scratching the scalp.
I understand that it's partly inflammation that is causing the balding.

I read up about Sam Palmetto but it seems to be a natural version of finasteride, some people have had the same sides as well.
What else can I do other then eat a healthy diet with less sugar and processed food?

Saw Palmetto is worthless. I think I still have a bottle Ill send you for free lol

This is my first post.
Im not pro or no finasteride. I did it for 8 months with ZERO issues. I honestly expected some ED but didnt care. It did wonders on my hair and at most I had slightly less firm erections. I also suffer from depression and anxiety and take lexapro for it. Im super healthy and love to work out and eat right.
Anyway basically 8 months to the day I got the worst finasteride crash. I read all the symptoms and knew what it was. I ran to the Doctor to get checked of course but came back with nothing. Thought I had the clap. I had awful tingling and burning in my tip. My tests and even the member atrophied quite a bit. My gut hurt, my taint hurt, I had ZERO sexual desire and could NOT get it up. Honestly felt like a prostate/UTI infection at once.
I stopped and it all went back to normal. I decided maybe I had a weird reaction and tried again. BAM it all started again so I stopped. I decided to wait about 2 months to FULLY clean myself out. Took 2 doses in four days and everything returned.

I have been off months now. Most 90% back to normal.

Anyway my story for you is two fold. Its meant to push to try it yet be afraid at the same time.

It works for many people. It worked for me for 8 months. Why after that it started killing me is unusual and unexplainable but I cant risk trying again because each time recovery took longer.
I would say try it. Maybe try half a half dose and work up. If you notice ANYTHING and get scared stop. As long as you are healthy and young I think you will bounce back. Much is in the head as well to so dont psyc yourself out.

I will not touch the stuff, not because I wont but because I cant. Trust me if sligth ED was my only issue then I would still be using it.

I will say my depression/anxiety was the same. Like another said when my hair was better my confidence was better so both of those symtoms were minimal. When I stopped and now see my hair in my hands again, my dep and anx are off the wall.

To me this should prove the destruction this can cause. I am looking into my first hair transplant ina couple months and honestly think my insurance should cover a portion due to the mental health aspect.

michilla

Reaction score
Guys,

derma apppointment is going to be a few months away, but my hair has thined out on top and I am a NW2. I am looking at going on regaine/rogaine or Kirkland foam, but understand these are ONLY for the vertex? Does this mean it wont help my thin hair at the front? Reading around it says that ALCOHOL and Propylene glycol is VERY BAD For seboric dermatitis, but the foam is supposed to be easier on the scalp

Which foam should I use? Is the foam effective for anything other then the vertex?

- - - Updated - - -

Guys,

derma apppointment is going to be a few months away, but my hair has thined out on top and I am a NW2. I am looking at going on regaine/rogaine or Kirkland foam, but understand these are ONLY for the vertex? Does this mean it wont help my thin hair at the front? Reading around it says that ALCOHOL and Propylene glycol is VERY BAD For seboric dermatitis, but the foam is supposed to be easier on the scalp

Which foam should I use? Is the foam effective for anything other then the vertex?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guys,

- - - Updated - - -

Guys,

Hi. Rogaine (Regaine) can not claim to work on any other part of the head other than the vertex because that's the only area they did in the trial study to get FDA approval. I wouldn't say it won't work on other parts of your head. Try it yourself! I am using Rogaine (Regaine) foam and it's supposed to be milder and easier on scalp. With wet scalp, you will have a better absorption of Minoxidil however seeing you have SD and senstive scalp, you may want to make sure your head/hair is completely dry before applying it. Cheers.

wakka12

Reaction score
I am 32 year old male. I have lost about 2cm-2.5cm on both side, although it's not full loss still tiny hairs there.

monoxidil is taken externally (shampoo) and finasteride internally (tablet)

The side effects of finasteride are scary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride#Adverse_effects
I don't want to end up impotent or infertile.

Minoxidil can have the side effect of hair loss http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoxidil#Side_effects

I agree I am NW2, my father didn't go full bald I think he got to NW3 Vertex.

My crown is getting bad, my hair is long at the moment if it was cut the crown would be more visible.
To me your hair looks completely fine for a 32 year old..I don't know many white guys over 30 with completely perfect hairlines, Id say you have nicer hair than the average 32 year old does honestly

Illu2ion

Established Member
Reaction score
To me your hair looks completely fine for a 32 year old..I don't know many white guys over 30 with completely perfect hairlines, Id say you have nicer hair than the average 32 year old does honestly

Maybe check the date of the latest post mate