Help! I’m Thinning So Bad Over Short Period

Should i start minoxidil to get thick hair?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No hope!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely will help

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thin on top

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m not gonna talk much, but I have always had thinning hair , but not as bad as It’s now! I’m shedding so much hair more than ever all over my scalp and my hair left on my head is way less I checked at the Dermatologist and she assured that it’s “ male pattern baldness “ and i knew it , but what stressing me out that the shedding has increased like x4 . She prescribed me minoxidil 5% twice/day, caffeine-containing shampoo and anti-dandruff shampoo .. but I haven’t started yet what should I do? If I start the minoxidil, will i ever get full thick hair? Knowing that I don’t have receding hairlines , but it’s happening all over my head .
Check the pics
max period between better >> worse is within a year! And sometimes a few month
Thank u guys :(

It all depends on how far you're willing to go and how much you like your hair in the first place. If you want to see if you can get any improvement go ahead and try the big 3. Drugs like finasteride have potential side effects so it's best to be educated in these side effects and weigh up how important your hair is to you.

Zaki27

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It all depends on how far you're willing to go and how much you like your hair in the first place. If you want to see if you can get any improvement go ahead and try the big 3. Drugs like finasteride have potential side effects so it's best to be educated in these side effects and weigh up how important your hair is to you.
You’re right , I’m aware of the possible side effects , but if the results are worth it then I’ll be okay... what saddens me more is the rapid progression of this , I can’t say this us telogen effluvium as it’s genetic but the rate by which it’s happening is stressing me out i have been applying hair gels for years and do all the wring habits and my hair was better .. but maybe it’s the genetic expression is meant to accelerate it at my age! Even in a few months..IDK

whatintheworld

Reaction score
It is likely aggressive loss, sorry to say. I have experienced the same situation and was so shocked, I waited to start treatments because I couldn't believe how fast I was losing hair. This was a mistake in retrospect and had I started earlier, I could have saved more hair. Now I'm looking at a transplant at some point in the time in the future because of this decision, or perhaps I'll shave my head one day if I truly stop caring.

Everywhere I read I got the impression it was some slow, gradual process. Conventionally male pattern baldness takes years and years to happen at a relatively slow pace, but I have absolutely seen cases where some guys went to like Norwood 6 in a year, it's crazy.

Zaki27

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is likely aggressive loss, sorry to say. I have experienced the same situation and was so shocked, I waited to start treatments because I couldn't believe how fast I was losing hair. This was a mistake in retrospect and had I started earlier, I could have saved more hair. Now I'm looking at a transplant at some point in the time in the future because of this decision, or perhaps I'll shave my head one day if I truly stop caring.

Everywhere I read I got the impression it was some slow, gradual process. Conventionally male pattern baldness takes years and years to happen at a relatively slow pace, but I have absolutely seen cases where some guys went to like Norwood 6 in a year, it's crazy.
I agree!! It wasn’t this bad at all 1 year ago! Believe it or not Since i stopped applying styling gels to keep it healthy, it increased!! Do u think finasteride would work for me?! And can i see ur case?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I agree!! It wasn’t this bad at all 1 year ago! Believe it or not Since i stopped applying styling gels to keep it healthy, it increased!! Do u think finasteride would work for me?! And can i see ur case?

Sure, this was my hair before I started on treatments.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachments/screen-shot-2019-09-23-at-11-29-55-pm-png.128679/

With a combination of finasteride, minoxidil, derma rolling, anti hair loss shampoo (don't know if this does anything but I chose to blindly believe it does) and some castor oil topicals I have got some regrowth + seemed to have slowed down my loss dramatically.

Zaki27

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure, this was my hair before I started on treatments.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachments/screen-shot-2019-09-23-at-11-29-55-pm-png.128679/

With a combination of finasteride, minoxidil, derma rolling, anti hair loss shampoo (don't know if this does anything but I chose to blindly believe it does) and some castor oil topicals I have got some regrowth + seemed to have slowed down my loss dramatically.
Thanks for sharing , can u show me an after pic?? And how long have u been on them?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing , can u show me an after pic?? And how long have u been on them?

I don't feel like taking an after pic at the moment but I have been taking them for about 3 years, and have not had any side effects.

I also live a healthy lifestyle (at least I try to most of the time) so I think that helps minimize the chances of side effects, but that may be just coincidence on my part.

Zaki27

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't feel like taking an after pic at the moment but I have been taking them for about 3 years, and have not had any side effects.

I also live a healthy lifestyle (at least I try to most of the time) so I think that helps minimize the chances of side effects, but that may be just coincidence on my part.
Is there a noticeable difference now? How much time did it take for the initial results?

Im glad that u haven’t suffered from any side effects!keep it up bro.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference now? How much time did it take for the initial results?

Im glad that u haven’t suffered from any side effects!keep it up bro.

Yes, it is better than it was and it has stayed that way for the most part. I think I am still slowly losing but that is because these drugs are unfortunately not a cure, only a treatment. It took maybe 6-8 months for results to show.

I do plan to get a transplant at some point in the future but am still doing research about it.

Baldy12345

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it is better than it was and it has stayed that way for the most part. I think I am still slowly losing but that is because these drugs are unfortunately not a cure, only a treatment. It took maybe 6-8 months for results to show.

I do plan to get a transplant at some point in the future but am still doing research about it.

I don’t think u need a hair transplant, if u were able to thicken up the hairs at the crown area